Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
By way of a spoiler for a follow up post, I'm happy to say I found a neat site some of you may already know about:

Tons of variety, and reasonable prices as far as I can tell.

I've decided on a backpacking holster design for my P17 using something I already have but wasn't using. I'm trying to stay simple and cheap, durable and functional. At least it should be a neat project and be at least as light weight and functional as I need.

More to come.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here we go. I've added a wrinkle to my holster search: OLight had a sale for their PL-2 Mini Valkyrie and it's perfectly sized for this pistol (on top of that my primary flashlight in my kit is an S2R Baton so I'm already in on their recharging cable).

No luck finding anyone making kydex or leather holsters for the P17 with the PL-2, so I had to go with something a bit less than ideal. If someone does start making a more durable holster for my setup I may very likely move to that option. For now, at least this is functional and I'm generally satisfied with it as a workaround.

I had an old DeSantis Nemesis "pocket" holster lying around and was able to make the P17 with the light attached fit perfectly by simply pulling the short length of stitching that normally runs below the trigger guard, and restitching the bottom edge to prevent it from working apart over time.

Using a belt hole punch I popped holes in the sides and attached a thumb break for retention and an UltiClip for OWB carry. I was a bit worried that the holster material wouldn't be stiff enough for the UltiClip to work, but the pistol is so light weight it's actually surprisingly stable. It came in under my weight goal at 4.6 oz.

$34 including shipping for all the hardware; if I recall the DeSantis holster was something like $20 years ago when I originally bought it. Took about 30 minutes to mock up the hardware placement, punch the holes, and get it all locktited.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's pretty well protected just due to the shape of the holster, but yeah that's one of the areas that would be improved by a bespoke holster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anybody try a Glock (19, 26, ...) hard plastic holster with the P17? Probable would need some cut-out work for the P17 mag release.
I would like a retention button holster with the paddle for the P17. Minor modifications would be OK.

Trigw

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought the Forged Tec holster and it is amazing. Adding the double mag carrier gets you up to $70 but it's worth it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ender, I've read about the Forged Tec. I agree, looks great but I didn't see one with a retention button.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ender, I've read about the Forged Tec. I agree, looks great but I didn't see one with a retention button.
They have what you might call "level one retention". It's your typical molded plastic trigger guard retention scheme with a screw to adjust tension. I wear mine while hunting and I have never worried about the pistol coming loose. I suppose you could modify the holster by adding a thumb break strap. You might also try contacting them directly to ask about a more secure model. I emailed the company several times and the person I talked to was very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody try a Glock (19, 26, ...) hard plastic holster with the P17? Probable would need some cut-out work for the P17 mag release.
I would like a retention button holster with the paddle for the P17. Minor modifications would be OK.

Trigw
I second the Forged Tec holster, it is awesome.

That said, I am actually surprised at how well the P17 fits in a Blade-Tech Glock 17 kydex holster. It's loose enough that the mag pops out, and of course the barrel is about 1.25" shorter than the holster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
thegorilla,

That's my thought. A retailer has many Glock holsters for about $20 with button retention. The image you show leads me to believe a Glock 17 holster may fit the P17, if part of the holster is trimmed, so the Kel Tec mag release doesn't interfere.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
thegorilla,

That's my thought. A retailer has many Glock holsters for about $20 with button retention. The image you show leads me to believe a Glock 17 holster may fit the P17, if part of the holster is trimmed, so the Kel Tec mag release doesn't interfere.

Thanks
You're welcome.

It's probably worth $20 and some cutting to give it a shot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The ForgedTec holster is a good fit, has adjustable retention, and the "combat loop" belt attachment is very secure. With the combat loop its 4.2oz,and the paddle is probably a tad less.

The only issue I can see would be for concealment: the holster is pretty far past the end of the barrel, but that may be to shroud the 1/2-28 thread adapter when fitted.

View attachment 54175 View attachment 54176 View attachment 54177
I ordered one of these and I mentioned the matchpoint system and if he could make a shell to mount.

I like the idea of a shell like this for atv/kayak use. I'm going to start a separate thread to gauge interest.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Images of my P17 Paddle Holster with retention button. Made from a $15 Glock 17/19 holster. Took a few hours with the Dremel and heat gun but it fits snug and locks in. Cut 1.4 inches from barrel end. A little tall but OK for me.
Trigw

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey all, just wanted to throw another option I found out there. While searching for a light-compatible option I picked this holster up on Amazon for my Glock G20 with an Olight PL-Pro on it, but depending on what you're doing it might work for your P17 - especially if you have a light on it and need a holster that can accommodate a small suppressor. It does this because the depth retention strap can be moved to index the depth on the light rather than the barrel.

Anyway, it's 5 oz and molle attachable. If you weave the molle like I have in the pictures, the top of the straps act as a belt loop as well. The stitching is solid, and the materials seem to be quality (including the velcro). I'm pretty sure the company makes their kit for airsoft and paintball use, but for the price it seems well thought out. It's very easy to adjust, though while it's perfectly sized for a full size pistol, it is quite large for the P17.

The brand is Excellent Elite Spanker... but what's in a name. They're $27 dollars on Amazon and come in a good variety of colors.

55286214-0B15-4A5E-9C75-4FD3EDD6ECF3.jpeg D601E365-C2B8-4F78-993D-78654D881121.jpeg 4090E23A-AA6E-4A22-88FB-43750011C63C.jpeg 39654DF7-5419-4E79-AD65-C90133374303.jpeg D303384B-6F4F-477A-BA42-6D9A1C23AF27.jpeg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great option, great price. Very versatile. I will get one of those also. Looks like it will fit nearly every mid-full size application. For club use, the hard plastic holster with retention but for all else, the Excellent Elite Spanker looks better.

Trigw

·
Registered
140 Posts
I actually went back and ordered three more because I've got use-cases that I don't have holsters for yet for a couple of pistols. For mounting on/in a bag, on LBE, on a drop leg rig, in a vehicle with some ingenuity, or even OWB in a pinch, it's tough to get more versatile. Pistol specific options will be slimmer and probably lighter, but if you've got an odd pistol + light combo or don't want to pay $60+ for custom kydex, this is hard to beat.

If anyone is aware of other similar options on the market, please feel free to chime in. Unfortunately in this case it seems south paws need not apply.

Great option, great price. Very versatile. I will get one of those also. Looks like it will fit nearly every mid-full size application. For club use, the hard plastic holster with retention but for all else, the Excellent Elite Spanker looks better.
To your point about retention, Trigw: The retention button is attached to an adjustable length of velcro so you can determine it's position relative to how deep you have the pistol indexed, and you can see a loop on the outside in my pics that is actually a secondary length of material with velcro for retention that wraps over the button toward the body side. I have it tucked away as I don't plan to use it. Unless you meant an open top holster with compression retention for speed... I may have misunderstood what you mean by club use.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts