Zhukov SU-16A

Discussion in 'SU-16' started by dvonella, Jul 5, 2016.

1. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    So, I just picked up a Brand Spankin' New SU-16A this past weekend from a fun show in San Antonio. I have wanted one for a few years now and when I saw one I jumped at the chance. I loved everything about the rifle with the exception of the hand guards... I was not a fan of the bipod and I had to believe that as thin as the plastic was they would heat up pretty quick with sustain fire. So as I was at my workbench installing a set of Zhukov hand guards on a customers AK I had a shot of inspiration. Pictures are of the completed project. I am really pleased with how it turned out, now I just need to figure out with I want the Primary Arms 1x6 or the red dot on top for the optic...

Attached Files:

Traumarn62 and iamscottasus like this.
  2. TexasVine

TexasVine New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Texas Hill Country

3. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    thank you sir! looking at it I am not sure if the hand guard is parallel with the barrel, may have some more work to do tomorrow...

4. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Nice. I have the same idea, for the Sub-2000. You beat me to it!

5. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    I had to modify the back end of the hand guard mount to fit around the barrel nut and the polymer support struts on the reliever (I expected that part) what I did not really expect was having to modify the barrel mounting blocks and having to use longer screws. It seems the barrel on SU-16 is thicker than an AK... not sure if the same is true on the subbie

6. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    I shot my Zhukov-16 today and I really like the way it handles, it is rock solid and did not heat up at all. At the end of my range session I dumped three 30 rounders and the hand guard did warm up but I was still able to hold it with no issue... all in all I have to say I am rather pleased with this project... I may have to add this as a service at the gunshop where I work

7. mtacm

mtacm Member

Jun 27, 2016
    NC
    That does look good. Possibility of a modification guide or for sale pre-modified?

8. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    tell you what when I get some time I will take some pictures and do a little write-up, if you do not feel comfortable following what I have written up I am sure that I would have no issue modifying one for you

9. mtacm

mtacm Member

Jun 27, 2016
    NC
    That sounds great, I appreciate that!

10. zaitcev

zaitcev Active Member

Nov 6, 2007
    This looks phenomenal. I already installed a MOE rail onto the stock bipod forend, right in the position where Zhukov slots are. I had to use glue gun to align the rail, because the stock plastic slopes there.

Can't wait to see the detail of the rear end, e.g. where that screw goes into, did you have to drill the "trunion" (or what comes for it on SU).

That said, I got into a habit of putting my SU onto bipod to cool it down after shooting, so it does not melt the insides of the gun sock. I'll need to re-learn the procedure. I also need a new sling attachment with this, because I use the stock front sling point. But it can go into the left side MOE easily.

P.S. Just ordered it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  11. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    sorry all, I have been busy with work, I will do my best to get a write up done this weekend... the only modifications that I have done to the SU-16 itself were to remove the stock handguard and mounting pin and remove the handguard retainer and spring... my goal was to make no mods to the rifle itself so I could bring it back to stock if needed

12. zaitcev

zaitcev Active Member

Nov 6, 2007
    I threw an installation together quick. I used the barrel for a mandrel and wrapped layers of paper around it until I obtained a suitable diameter - just under the size of the thicker section - and wrapped sandpaper around that. This was a quick and dirty way to adjust the blocks.

One thing I failed to notice is that the forend does not reach as close to the receiver as the old folding forend did. So the gun has a goofy outline of a pump action now. But at least I got the rails. Note that dvonella's installation is set properly. He knows a certain secret that eludes me. Maybe he trimmed the heat shield somehow.

Update: People were asking the barrel thickness on SU-16C. The diameter under the handguard is 18.7 mm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  13. Junkie

Junkie Member

May 26, 2015
    Alameda, CA
    I'd love to see a real guide if someone has the time

14. dvonella

dvonella New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Tajas
    You are correct about the heat shield, I did some pretty significant trimming to get it to fit around the barrel lug supports.

I am sorry i have not been able to get back to everyone who has asked for pictures and instructions I promise you that I will get it done but I had to take emergency leave for a death in my family and now I have just received my medical retirement date from the Army (about a month away) as I am sure you can imagine things are getting REALLY busy for me... but I promise you I will get it done

15. rygo_81

rygo_81 New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Sorry for your loss and thank you for your service to our country. I just purchased an Su-16c and am amazed at the ingenuity of people such as yourself. Just wanted to let you know that's appreciated and no need to rush on our account.

16. SNAFU

SNAFU Active Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Looks great! BTW good choice for optics, just remember that anything that overhangs the rail (like a typical scope) must be taken off to field strip the weapon due to the angle the gas tube has to make to be removed from the receiver. IMO the SU-16 is most suited to short optics like the ones you are considering.

17. Junkie

Junkie Member

May 26, 2015
    Alameda, CA
    I agree on that, I think it's better served by a red dot than a magnified optic.

18. zaitcev

zaitcev Active Member

Nov 6, 2007
    An ACOG fits just fine. But I use a red dot.

19. DaveHufford

DaveHufford Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Su-16c with zhukov hand guard

This is "How-to" approach that I used to mate the Zhukov to my Su-16C.

2016-11-09_142634.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  20. Junkie

Junkie Member

May 26, 2015
    Alameda, CA
    Nice. Thanks for posting it.