Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kid, a new member is looking everywhere for a new P3AT. I don't where the heck he lives - must be Cow Bucket, Montana or some place, but he can't find a gun to save his soul. He sounds like a nice guys so let's see what we can do. It's Christmas! :D

G

·
Re: Your mission...Find Adamsesq (Scott) a new P3A

I don't know how we find him a P3AT if we don't know where he lives ??? There seems to be no shortage of them in Central Florida where I live or at the gun shows. So I don't know why he's having a problem. Any gun store should be able to order him one even if he lives on the dark side of the Moon.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

Ok Ok Ok, still working on where to put what. "The Kid" (whatever I did to deserve that I love!!!!) lives in Oregon about 1/2 way between Portland and the coast.

I have two local red-neck (good thing!) gun stores who have tried to "order" them for the last three weeks only to be told that the distributor is out...

I actually am looking for two, not to be greedy :)

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Adam: It may be that your local gun shops' distributors are not actualy out of P3ATs, just that they are all going to shops that move larger numbers. Generally, that's the way it works. Them that moves them, gets them.

Ask your local's what they will charge you to do an FFL transfer. Better yet, go to Gunbroker and Auction Arms and use their FFL finder (search by area code, zip code, etc). You may find a few old FFLs still working out of their homes that will do a $10 - $20 transfer. After that, finding a P3AT on-line is easy. CDNN Investments (Abilene, TX) may still have some for $209. Dealers can ship to an FFL cheap through the Post Office.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

The demand for ATs was so high in this area that the owner of my local gunstore sold his personal AT right out of his pocket to a desperate customer.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

Thanks TXCajun - that is where I am looking next.

I have not purchased any weapons since I moved to this area and wanted, really really wanted to establish a good relationship with a local shop before going in and asking for them to receive.

But I guess once I have tried to give them the business they can't get too upset!

I have downloaded the CDNN Catalog!

-Scott

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

UPDATE - I am giddy like a school girl.

I went to my local dealer to ask him about whether he would be willing to receive or not. He was (for $40/first gun and $10/each after that) and gladly handed me his FFL to send off.

I had already called CDNN and they got "a bunch" in today including HC so I was all set to leave and come home and call.

THEN, just before I walked out the door dealer's distributor called and said he would have 4 P3ATs on Thursday! Now I just have to wait the same number of days I would have had to if I ordered from CDNN.

Thanks for the mojo kraigster414, you had to me the one to make this right!

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

I complain that my local gets $25. It's 5 minutes of work and a free phone call. >:(

·
Registered
25 Posts

www.gunbroker.com Make your purcase there and have it processed through which ever local dealer charges the least to receive and process the paperwork....most charge around $40. Prices are fairly decent on that sight as well.......kinda like ebay for all your firearm needs :)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

most charge around $40.
Nope.  $25 is probably about average these days but my area has a few as low as $10, several for $15 and $20.  I have not seen higher than about $50 so I'd say that $40 is pushing the upper limit and is NOT reasonable for 5 minutes of work.  Since when should opening a package, handing you some forms and making a phone call worth $500 per hour?...  
Not counting lawyers.   :-/

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

brett30030 said:
Is that $40 for the first gun sale and $10 for each subsequent transaction? $40 for one gun is the highest that i have seen.
I didn't ask him if "$10/each additional" meant at the same time or not. But it was $40 for the first. I also didn't ask if that included the 10$ crim form but I am betting it did not.

Basically it seemed like he was willing to be a resource if it was something you couldn't get from him but he didn't want people low balling him by $20 and buying off the net and then taking up his time to do it - which I think is VERY fair!

Others may not be like me but I will just about always happily pay 10-15% more to shop locally if the local guy is friendly and a pleasure to do business with. I will not buy from a jerk even if it is less money.

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

If he can offer you a decent price on the gun I'd say definately buy local. At what he gets for an FFL transfer, you're not going to save money that way anyhow unless you find a cheaper transfer FFL. They are out there in the woodwork. Find them in the FFL locators I mentioned earlier. My son found a local, home-based FFL that does transfers for $10. The local gun shop wanted something like $40 AND their guns were horribly over-priced.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

TxCajun said:
 At what he gets for an FFL transfer, you're not going to save money that way anyhow unless you find a cheaper transfer FFL.  
Could not agree more. There are some local home-based FFLs that would do $25 transfers and I may use them if the time ever arrises.

I don't know, but would like to think, that if I develop a good relationships with my local shop I will have the ability in the future to say "I do all my business with you (and have proven that...) and need you to knock your price down to $25 like all the others." For someone he knows and is serious about spending money with him I would HOPE he would do so.

But for now I was lucky and am getting to buy local without the shipping for $250/blue. Not a great price but fair.

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

I agree that $250 is an OK price. At least it beats what a $210 on-line gun would cost you with shipping and FFL fees. Plus, you are buying some good will with the local guy. 8)

·
Registered
77 Posts

adamsesq said:
Ok Ok Ok, still working on where to put what.  "The Kid" (whatever I did to deserve that I love!!!!) lives in Oregon about 1/2 way between Portland and the coast.  

I have two local red-neck (good thing!) gun stores who have tried to "order" them for the last three weeks only to be told that the distributor is out...
Scott,

I live in Oregon as well, and have patronized several shops in the state. You should definitely try The Gun Broker if you haven't already. They have two stores; one in Tigard and one in Clackamas. And they almost always have Kel-tec P-11's and P3AT's in stock for $249.

Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham also always has P3AT's in stock. In fact, they usually have at least 3 or 4 laying around. Not sure about price.

And there is a shop in Philomouth (I think called "Philomouth Gun Shop", appropriately enough) that tends to have a good selection of Kel-tec products on a regular basis.

Between these three stores, I'd bet you could have a P3AT in your hands very soon...and without paying a transfer dealer! And come to think of it, I was thinking of buying one myself this weekend from one of these shops. So don't beat me to it!

·
Registered
91 Posts

Hey Oregon guys...

Keiths - closed for inventory til next tuesday (WTF?)
Gun Broker - only one in stock, Tigard Hard Chrome $279
Philomath -sold their last one ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.