1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive exterior Vehicle Fender

**NOT MY RIFLE**

This is from a First owner of an RFB (seen in the Facebook RFB pages).
After posting this image he says:
"Never had any problems before. Fired thousands of rnds. Bought it 12-2011"

Then says:
"It was in the shop in 2018 for a gas problem"
"Ahhhh, yes. I just adjusted the gas because it wasnt feeding the next rnd when it popped. Oh well, thats what it is for. In it's early years, before the new piston, I use to just remove the adjuster when suppressed."

So..After some prodding from us in the group as we said it was overgassed..he then send it in.

When he got it back. this is what he said:

"You guys were right. Got her back with instructions on using the gas adjuster... My bad."

·
Registered
344 Posts
Right about what? The OP sounded like he did everything correct the first time around. FWIW, I still have to take my gas plug all the way off with the suppressor piston installed... and it's still slightly over-gassed with a low back pressure can.

I'll just come right out and say it. KT screwed the pooch when it comes to the design of the RFB's piston and gas regulator. Either that, or the barrel gas port is waaay oversized.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Right about what? The OP sounded like he did everything correct the first time around. FWIW, I still have to take my gas plug all the way off with the suppressor piston installed... and it's still slightly over-gassed with a low back pressure can.

I'll just come right out and say it. KT screwed the pooch when it comes to the design of the RFB's piston and gas regulator. Either that, or the barrel gas port is waaay oversized.
I forgot to add the groups comments.

When he posted this pic (3 weeks ago) We tell him it was over gassed then says: He didn't think so but sent it in anyways.
Good sport that man was.

That break wasnt due to 1 or 2 times being over gassed. That was Multiple outings overgassed.

I know you dont like the way this system is set up. Maybe they'll change it if the make and RDB in 308

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is exactly what happened to my RFB when I was testing the new "suppressor" piston.
No matter what I did, with a suppressor mounted, it was always, massively, overgassed.
After a few rounds of testing, the butt plate popped out, just like that picture.
Sent to KelTec, they repaired and returned it in about 3 weeks.
Now, mine works fine at +14 with supers and, with gas cap completely off, with suppressed supers.
I don't use subsonic rounds in my RFB.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I forgot to add the groups comments.

When he posted this pic (3 weeks ago) We tell him it was over gassed then says: He didn't think so but sent it in anyways.
Good sport that man was.

That break wasnt due to 1 or 2 times being over gassed. That was Multiple outings overgassed.

I know you dont like the way this system is set up. Maybe they'll change it if the make and RDB in 308
Ok, makes sense now in context. Sorry if I sounded obtuse.

FWIW, I don't use the RFB suppressed anymore. Took my Griffin taper mount brake off it and put it on another 30 cal rifle. I also put the regular piston back in. To me, it's just not worth suppressing at this point. I'd rather go loud and have it reliable, plus not beat itself to death.

It's a shame really as it would have made a perfect 308 suppressor host due to size. Hopefully they'll fix it if a gen 3 gas block design similar to the RDB ever comes out. I'd send mine back to KT just for that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wonder if there was some kind of small bushing that could be set in the back of the rifle to act as a fail safe if someone had the wrong gas adjustment. I know for the Veprs and AK’s you can buy a small bushing that will help with this (blackjack buffer). It’d be sweet if someone with a printer can make one that would fit the RDB and RFB...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your referring to a buffer. Mentioning the AK buffer is kinda odd since those guns arent adjustable and run over gassed. Unless you have the KnM Adjustable piston,which then negated the need for the buffer.

Theres like an 1.5 inches between the back of the Bolt and the front of the buttpad inside the RFB.. Since the gun has like 40 gas settings (Almost 20 on the RDB) ..Just set it correctly and your good. Theres a video and even instructions in the manual.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got mine set correctly and know how to do it. Whenever I work on things I prefer to over build them. It seems it would be a cheap fail safe if there was some kind of material even if it was 1/8” to help cushion as a fail safe (although I understand on a bullpup they get about 1/3 of the travel of a typical gas gun). And yes it is a blackjack buffer but it’s not really a buffer as an AR15 so that’s why I was trying to describe it better for people that aren’t familiar with the AK/RPK platforms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.