Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Yet one more reloading question

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've gotta reloading question for you old timers. I know there is no real +P load for the .380. That being said, the max SAAMI pressure is 26,500 according to http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm. The Hogdon website lists load running at a max of @ 15,600 with 3.2 grains of Titegroup with a 95gr bullet. How do I figure the max load for Titegroup with a 95gr bullet? I've been told you should never go 10% above the max load listed. That would be a max loaf of 3.52gr. The problem is knowing what the chamber pressure would be with that load. Is there a layperson's guide somewhere I don't know about that will answer my questions. I don't want to load anything too hot for the P3AT.

I know Buffalo Bore claims to load at +P levels but there is no such things. I also know that Magsafe loads are too hot for the P3AT. I want to load some hot HPs but I don't want to exceed the P3AT's abilities. I admit I've never shot Buffalo Bore but that's only due to cost not fear that my P3AT couldn't handle it.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Peace,
David

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks, rcmodel. You're right of course. I looked at the wrong caliber. I also missed the fact that Hogdon was listing C.U.P. not SAAMI levels. As far as the 10% goes, I may well have it wrong as to what I was told once.

What I don't understand is why different manuals have different max loads. For example, my Speer #14 manual lists a minimum load of 2.8gr and a max load of 3.2gr of Titegroup with a 90gr bullet. My Hornady #7 manual lists the minimum at 2.2gr and 3.4gr of Titegroup with a 90gr bullet. Both manuals claim theirs is the max load and that it should be used with caution. Of Course Hogdon lists 2.7 as the minimum a 3.2 as the max Titegroup load with a 90gr bullet. I just don't understand the variant max loads. Which one is right?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, rcmodel. That solves some of the mystery for me. I'll do the average thing you were talking about. I'll also be careful how I proceed. I'm not looking to load anything on the magnum side. I'm just wanting to load a few hot rounds. I will definitely proceed with caution. The last thing I want is a kaboom in my P3AT. I like having all the fingers on my right hand intact. :D

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I didn't mean to cause a ruckus. I've only been loading for a short while and am certainly not an expert. I will be loading some HP .380 in the coming days and wanted to load them about as hot as factory SD loads. I'm not looking for the mysterious yet totally made up +P like what Buffalo Bore or what Magsafe loads. I'm just looking for a load I can CC if I want and know that it will perform if it's needed. I carry Hornady CD but want a handload that will suffice in a pinch.

I fear overloading the .380. From what I've seen, the KT can handle some pretty hot loads given its locked breached design. That being said, I've seen the pics floating around of catastrophic failures in several guns and in the P3AT. I definitely do not want a kaboom with my little P3 in my hand. All I want to know is what is safe. FWIW, I've never loaded any cartridge hotter than the minimum load for any caliber in any of my manuals. Why? I know those are safe loads with little chance of problems.

I do want to thank all of you my for your advice. The fact that KTOGers are so willing to help each other is what makes KTOG so awesome. I promise you guys I won't blow up my P3. My LCP . . . now that's another story. ;) Just kidding. :D

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Somewhere along the way, I fear what I asked was misunderstood or something. I have no intentions of doing anything stupid in an effort to get a little better performance. I have never loaded a round higher than the minimum load in any of my manuals much less over loaded a cartridge. The only hot loads I've ever shot in any of my guns are hot factory loads. Caution and restraint are why I asked the question in  the first place.

Thanks for all the advise.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
My RCBS powder measure only varies .1-.2 grains + or -. I even check it every 50 rounds and it stays dead on. I just don't know about trusting a powder measure that can fluctuate 16%. BTW, are you using the Lee dip measure along with a scale? Before I got my powder measure, I used a powder trickler over my electronic scale to hand charge each case. I loaded over 1000 40S&W rounds that way. It's very accurate that way. Plinking rounds don't really need that kind of consistency but hunting rounds do.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
[quote author=billjohnso20 link=1242513103/0#10 date=1242614497]....I'm just looking for a load I can CC if I want and know that it will perform if it's needed. .....

YMMV but I would NEVER consider a reload for SD purposes.  When a gun is used for self defense, that is just phase one of your fight.  Phase two  is the legal aftermath that may cost thousands of dollars.  I would not want my attorney to have to explain to a jury why I had two whole mags of custom made assassin cop killer evil Kevlar penetrating ammo as I was stalking poor little John Boy.

I carry of the shelf SD Ammo.[/quote]
You're absolutely right, NAS. I was more talking about a situation where I was forced to use a homemade load for home defense and not really to carry it. I'm thinking of a situation of the kind where our current economic situation led to riots or armed bands of marauding thugs. I know there isn't much chance of that where I live but I'm of the opinion that one must be prepare. The P3AT and any hot hand loads would of course be for a last ditch stand and would only be part of my overall strategy which includes every firearm I own. BTW, two of my deacons are MO certified instructors. My wife and I took our CCW class from them. They also said never carry hand loaded SD rounds and to only carry factory SD loads. That is what my wife and I do.

I've got high performance factory loads but wanted to also load some high performance .380 loads. To that end, I've loaded 28 rounds that are on the hot side put are not loaded beyond the SAAMI standards. I'll test these carefully at the range next week looking closely for any pressure signs. The last thing I want to do is blow up my P3AT or my hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.