Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's yet another reason CMR's sometimes fail to feed: Broken firing pins . . .

I was out at the range today when my CMR started experiencing 100% failure to feed. The cartridge was going up the feed ramp and starting into the barrel, but the bolt wasn't closing all the way -- almost like there was some sort of obstruction in the chamber. However, I found I could that I could retract the bolt slightly an get the round into the chamber. I kept trying different magazines, to see if there was something wonky with the one I was using. The final symptom was the rifle began to consistently fail to fire. Then the light bulb went on!

When I got home I disassembled the rifle, sure enough the firing pin was horizontal in the bolt face. That explained the failure to fire. It took me a bit to sort out the failure to feed. Then I noticed that the firing pin would stick out from the bolt face. This prevented the rear of the cartridge from getting high enough on the bolt face. The result were cartridges which were getting wedged in the chamber. Moving the bolt rearward allowed the cartridge to push the broken pin back into the channel, allowing the rear of the cartridge into the correct position and providing for correct feed.

Here's a link to where KelTec sells new firing pins: https://www.keltecweapons.com/product/cmr30-518-firing-pin/. My rifle has just shy of 2K rounds through it. If you don't count the gouging on the plastic feed ramp, this is the first failed part. I ordered two just to make sure I would always have a spare.

Larry

PS: A number of months ago, one of our member made a big stink about not being able to buy parts from KelTec -- deleting his posts and claiming KelTec didn't care about their customers. Truth is, I couldn't find CMR parts by navigating their web site. However, I could use Google to search their site and find the page posted above. So while their web site might not be the greatest, this is the second time in the last few months I've been able to order parts from them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Here's yet another reason CMR's sometimes fail to feed: Broken firing pins . . .

I was out at the range today when my CMR started experiencing 100% failure to feed. The cartridge was going up the feed ramp and starting into the barrel, but the bolt wasn't closing all the way -- almost like there was some sort of obstruction in the chamber. However, I found I could that I could retract the bolt slightly an get the round into the chamber. I kept trying different magazines, to see if there was something wonky with the one I was using. The final symptom was the rifle began to consistently fail to fire. Then the light bulb went on!

When I got home I disassembled the rifle, sure enough the firing pin was horizontal in the bolt face. That explained the failure to fire. It took me a bit to sort out the failure to feed. Then I noticed that the firing pin would stick out from the bolt face. This prevented the rear of the cartridge from getting high enough on the bolt face. The result were cartridges which were getting wedged in the chamber. Moving the bolt rearward allowed the cartridge to push the broken pin back into the channel, allowing the rear of the cartridge into the correct position and providing for correct feed.
I long ago ordered two firing pins for my CMR's and PMR because I was reading all over the internet about problems. The same firing pin fits both if I recall right. (Edit) Now that I look at the link you put up, I guess they aren't interchangeable. I should order a couple of these for my CMR's. Luckily I haven't had to try the PMR firing pin on my CMRs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
New firing pin arrived and was installed. Easy job.

The replacement FPs have a multi-stepped design (see photo below). The old one transitioned from the back to the front in one step. They also come with new FP springs specifically for the new design pin.

Larry

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another 100 rounds down range. Many of these were rounds that went through the gun when the firing pin was broken -- either because the didn't feed or because the didn't fire. All but one feed and fired. And that one fired the second time I ran it through. I guess my CMR is back to being fairly reliable again.

The CMR's firing pin is sort of reminiscent of the Ruger 10/22 . . . that is to say quite robust. I find it odd that the pin broke. Maybe the old design and/or metallurgy wasn't quite right.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts