Yet another "first range report" post

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by paddling_man, Nov 20, 2007.

1. paddling_man

paddling_man New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    First - been around with a P11 since 02/03. I didn't post for a while but certainly gleaned a lot of info from this forum before and after the purchase.

Honestly, my typical CCW is a 642 with the factory Crimson Trace. A last resort / deep cover has been a little NAA Mini-revolver.

I was looking for something in the middle. The P3AT has been a consideration for a while. I remember the early issues many had with the 1st gen P3AT and had stayed away. Recently reading that the 2nd gen seemed to clear alot of these issues up, I began looking.

Success came for me last week when I found a used 2nd gen P3AT @$179. After a bit of tweaking, I got the pistol for $159.

It made it to the range today, along with a Walther PP 7.65mm (dob ~1937) that I picked up at a gun show.

The little P3AT performed admirably. Roughly a hundred rounds and no hiccups. Now, the caveat here is that all were the FMJ WWB. Next time will be more self defense oriented JHP but, honestly, I'm comfortable with the FMJ for the time being.

Recoil? Not bad at all. I felt a bit of a "jump" in my hand but very manageable. Actually, pretty similar to the airweight 642 with standard .38 loads.

Trigger? Man, oh man. I was expecting something like the looooooooooong trigger pull of the P11. I noticed at purchase/examination that it wasn't the same. The P3AT requiring the slide cycle to reset the hammer unlike the P11. Short and relatively crisp. No complaints at all about the trigger.

All in all - this one is a winner. A great price, fantastic concealability, and a potent enough cartidge (IMHO) at short range.

If anyone is curious, the PP also ran without a hiccup. It is a small gun - but not a pocket gun. Definitely a world apart in weight and size from the P3AT. Still, the PP was a lot of fun to shoot. Accurate. Heavy enough to absorb all the recoil from the small .32 ACP cartridge. It is a pistol that is destined for the "man bag"... and it fulfills all of the James Bond fantasies. ;D

2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Sounds like a great pickup to me.

3. Hawkjm

Hawkjm New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    I agree, sounds like a good deal. I also just took mine to the range last night. Purchased brand new without the fluff & buff, and not one single issue (other than the spent casings knocking stuff down off the ceiling after each shot ;D) after the first 175 rounds. Mostly WWB and a some Gold Dot JHP.

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Glad you found what you were looking for. That's a great price too. What do you paddle exactly?

5. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like you found a great deal on the P3-AT. I bought mine new for considerably more $$$. Only had it a week and had to send it back to KT. Hope to get it back soon and see it working as good as yours.

Congratulations :)

Reggie

6. paddling_man

paddling_man New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    It is a moniker that was birthed from spending all of my twenties in East Tenn, paddling whitewater kayaks virtually every weekend.

Nearly 40 now, with two small kids, and the whitewater is few and far between. I've only got one whitewater boat left and most of the time on-water is either the 17' sea kayak or the canoe.

I did manage a "kitchen pass" to go solo island hopping/camping around the Apostle Islands summer before last.

(Sorry, nothing regarding leather, etc. ;D Though we did wear skirts... spray skirts!)