Yankee Hill Comp/Brake

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by cmreds, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cmreds

cmreds New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    I am considering adding a Yankee Hill Phantom compensator/brake to my SU 22 just for looks and have questions for those of you who may have done this to your SU's or PLR's:

1. What all is involved in mounting the brake on the SU/PLR? Does it just screw on and is then tightened by pliers?

2. Can anyone think of any adverse effects this would have on shooting?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The YHM Phantom is easy. It just screws on. You do need to index it properly so it vents up more than down. Put it on upside down and it increases the muzzle flip! It's secured with a jam nut, which I believe is supplied with the Phantom. The PLR-16 muzzle threads are apparently a little longer than on an AR, so muzzle devices that are supplied with crush washers usually need two crush washers to work properly.

On the down side, the Phantom adds 1.75" to the overall length of the PLR-16 (if my memory is right). There is some anecdotal evidence that any muzzle device can reduce accuracy, but probably not much and maybe not noticeably if you're plinking.

3. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    the muzzle brakes and flash suppressors have very little effect on the SU-22/PLR-22. there just isn't enough flash, or muzzle blast from the .22LR round to do much. The do look nice though, but after several hundred rounds the holes will start to get caked with burnt powder (and maybe some lead dust). just break it off with a screw driver when it gets caked on enough....That's the only real downside.

A suppressor is a much more usefull muzzle device, though much more expensive, too.

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Oops. I guess I didn't have enough caffeine this morning. I wasn't answering the question with respect to the SU-22. Sorry.

The SU-22 has a long enough barrel that it's fairly quiet, even without shooting subsonic ammo. I find the SU-22 to be very pleasant to shoot, with little muzzle blast and almost no recoil. I think any kind of muzzle brake, compensator or flash hider would be almost entirely for looks. There is a little bit of flame that shoots out the ejection port that's visible at twilight.

5. cmreds

cmreds New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Thanks for the info.  If I decide to do this it would be just for looks, but I do not want to affect the way the rifle shoots.  Can the "caking" be controlled by regular cleaning?  Also, does it damage the rifle threading if I "break it off" with a screw driver?  Short of dressing up the rifle a little this sounds like it has alot of cons already.

6. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    The caking slowly builds up over time, and usually only builds on the vent holes of the muzzle brake/flash suppressor, so scrapeing it off will not affect the barrel. You can just leave the caked on stuff there, but after several thousand rounds it will not look that great, and it may affect accuracy.

One other up side is that it will protect the end of the barrel, if you accidentally drop the gun. Just don't over tighten it when you install it. I would use some blue threadlocker and just hand tighten it. There is so little recoil and so littl heat that it is unlikelly to come off.

One of the great things about the PLR/SU-22 is that it looks like the much more powerfull PLR/SU-16...adding a muzzle device adds to this illusion, so I say go for it....you can allways take it off.

7. cmreds

cmreds New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Okay one last question regarding these. As you clean your rifle after firing can you clean the caking off of the compensator or does it become hard and unremovable? I would like one of these, but if it is going to be ruined within a little while I will just save the money and buy ammo.

Thanks again.