YABB

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by gonzo, Jan 8, 2010.

1. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    What does YABB mean?

2. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Never mind. I found it on search.

3. scottypp

scottypp New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Now I have to search it...

4. swordsister

swordsister New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Your search was better than mine. I'm still clueless.

Inquiring minds need to know . . .

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    It is the name of the software that runs the site.

6. swordsister

swordsister New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Free Forum Software - Yet another Bulletin Board (YaBB) - Open Source, Perl
    Got that from clicking on YaBB at the bottom of the page.

Not as exotic as I had imagined (or hoped).

Natalie

7. SocaL

SocaL New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    eh what a let down, i though it stood for something hip.

8. Kevets

Kevets New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It did, ten years ago. Definitely time for an upgrade.

9. SuperTrucker

SuperTrucker New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I was wondering as well, guess I learned something today. ;D

10. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Are you volunteering to take care of importing all of the members, forums, and posts to
    a new system? ;)

11. andrewjs18

andrewjs18 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Are you volunteering to take care of importing all of the members, forums, and posts to
    a new system? ;)
    [/quote]

I'll gladly help..I absolutely HATE yabb...something like mybb is MUCH better IMHO...it's a better forum with a nicer look and feel and has more plugins/themes than yabb. it's also free. I administer http://www.pazrt.com/forum which runs on mybb if you want to check it out.

12. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Sorry I missed your reply earlier. I'd like to know more about in what ways you feel "mybb"
    would benefit KTOG. You mentioned themes. I'm not sure that would be of much importance here.
    Your ZRT site, for example, has a very interesting look, but I find the current KTOG theme to
    be much easier to read. If my eyes were twenty or thirty years older I'd probably REALLY appreciate
    this clean, easy to read theme.

There are two real issues I'm aware of with yabb2. First, the search is very slow. I added a Google
    search box at the top of the page, so that's taken care of. That just leaves the fact that the forum
    itself is a little slow. That's the only major complaint I know of. If other members have other reasons
    they'd liek to use different software, I'd like to hear about it. Overall, in the fifteen years I've been
    running sites I've learned that changing forum software bugs people. They get used to one system,
    learn to use it effectively, and don't like to have it changed on them. Some people will leave any time
    you change to different software. Therefore, I'm hesitant want to change without good reasons. If the
    majority of users would like to see a change, though, that's a possibility. Since so many people are
    accustomed to VBulletin and a few other popular scripts, having used them on other boards, VBulletin or another very popular script would likely be good options. I prefer open source software, which
    VBulletin is not, but right now I can;t think of the names of the most popular open source ones.

13. andrewjs18

andrewjs18 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    forum admin,

that's just the default theme that the members wanted. I personally DO NOT like dark themes like the forum on pazrt.com uses so I use the standard mybb theme.

you can check it out by going here:
    http://www.pazrt.com/forum/index.php

and at the very bottom right you'll see 'quick theme'. simply choose simple blue and hit change theme. that's the default mybb theme that comes as the default.

as far as yabb vs mybb...

mybb is more popular, it's easier to manage, offers more themes, plugins and etc.

the overall forum layout is easier to use.