WTT Hi Point 45 for 12ga pump

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by bamf_shadow, May 5, 2009.

1. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    About a month ago I picked up a new Hi Point 45 in olive drab with the camo grips and a spare mag. It performed flawlessly with the 50 rounds I put thru it, but I really have no role for this weapon. I am looking for a 12ga pump shotgun. Not going to be real picky here, half of me wants a short barrel home defense rig, the other half wants something to kill clays/dove with. I will do either FTF or FFL transfer (I live about 1.5 hrs south of San Antonio, TX). I am looking for a straight swap, so save those high-dollar gems for now. Also included (but obviously shipped seperately) will be 3 boxes of Blazer 45 Auto 230gr (the same type I shot thru it). Lets deal!

2. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    May not be your cup of tea but I have a Sears and Roebuck Model 200 (which was made by Winchester for Sears, I think it is the same as the Model 1200) pump shotgun, 12ga, chambered 2-3/4" with two barrels.  One barrel is 28" choked Full, the other is 28" choked Modified.  One of them has a green fiber optic bead sight (Full), the other has the original brass bead.

The gun is probably from the 60's, as I recall it does not have a serial number on it which makes it pre-68 but it looks like new.  I have had it for about 5 years and have run about 20 rounds through it, functions fine.

If you are torn on the home defense/dove/clay thing, you might think about cutting one barrel down to 18-1/2" (or buying another barrel off Gunbroker, they show up occasionally, there's a 16 ga on there now they want $40 for) and use the short barrel for slugs/HD and keep the other for flying things.  Or not.

GunBroker item number 125141160 is a sold gun similar to mine.  This is mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if this is worthwhile, I'm in Western Arizona although I am a San Antonio boy and all my family still live south of town, (give me a reason and I can come home !) but shipping and FFL fees might be a deal breaker on this.  I know shipping on the pistol is a bear (unless you have a good FFL) and I know shipping the shotgun to Texas, which wouldn't need an FFL, would be about $20 plus your FFL fees to receive it.

I'm not sure that the value of either your pistol or my shotgun lends itself to putting FFL and shipping fees into them but let's talk if you're interested, if not the old warhorse aint going nowhere !!

Dan R

3. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    I would probably do a FTF with you on that, but I think I would end up losing out on the deal if we did the FFL thing. I have nearly $300 in this, and not that I am looking for $300 in return....When you going to come see us in San Antonio???

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you two are residents of different states you CAN NOT transfer a pistol, even FTF, without using a FFL in the pistol "buyer's" home state.   As to whether you can do the shot gun that varies widely and must be legal in the laws of BOTH states. KTOG is pretty strict about not even alluding to possibly illegal transactions here.

-Scott

5. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Scott, understand and there is no intent to "bend" the laws, shipping a handgun through my local FFL would run me $25 plus shipping where as the shotgun I can ship direct to an FFL in Texas and avoid FFL fees on this end. Or hand carry on a trip back home.

It will probably run each of us $25 to $50 to ship and transfer which is why I said the value of each may not lend itself to doing a long distance swap. I was thinking that if I am going to be in South Texas anytime in the near future I could bring the shotgun with me, I 'm fairly sure I can a long gun FTF out of State but I'm not sure and would find out. That's what I meant by "Let's talk".

Nothing to see here, folks, just move along, everything is okay............. ;D

Dan R

6. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    If you have an FFL that you can transfer through, what does he charge? Because I know I can send the shotgun direct to an FFL in a hardcase via U S Post Office for around $20.00.

An FFL can send a handgun via US Post Office (a lot cheaper than UPS or FEDEX) but it depends on what he charges to do the transfer, some will lump in an out together, others will charge an arm and a leg.

I know it will cost me $25.00 to receive the handgun here in Arizona.

I'm not sure the HiPoint is a $300 gun, I know the shotgun isn't. I figure the gun and extra barrel is around $200 to $250. GunBroker just sold one like it with one barrel for $155 plus shipping and FFL fees so I figure the guy gave around $200 for it.

I probably don't need the ammo, I have a couple of thousand rounds of reloads for .45 already made up. If we can keep your costs below the value of the ammo and my costs under $45 it might work. I would just have to convice myself I need to get rid of the Sears and spend $45 for a High Point.

I probably won't be in South Texas till Deer Season next November......I hope so anyway, haven't had any fried deer in a couple of years.

Later
    Dan R

7. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    Minus ammo I figure we have a pretty straight deal here. I will try and get with my FFL later today and find out what he charges for shipping handguns to FFL's. I know that he charges me $25 to recieve which isn't bad at all. I will get back to you on this asap. And just to confirm, this will be a legal transaction however we go. Thanks!

8. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Super. The only other thing is to ensure that your FFL will accept a firearm from a non FFL, with a bill of sale and Govt issued ID. It's legal, just that some are unable to read the ATF regs or choose not to accept from a non license holder. How those guys ever buy a gun or take a trade in, I don't know since that is essentially the same thing.

Later

Dan R

9. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    My FFL (local pawn shop) will accept the firearm with a valid ID, and will send you his FFL number (which you can then verify using the ATF online system). He won't ship this pistol for me though, so my only option would be UPS/FedEx. If you PM me your FFL's address I can try and figure the cost.

10. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    You lost me on the last sentence.  Will he not transfer the handgun at all, or will he just not leave his place of business to mail the package off?  I used to use a pawn shop in Georgia who wouldn't physically mail the pistol for me (he was a one man operation and wouldn't leave his shop) but who would run the gun through his books and transfer it to whoever I was sending it to.  I actually would take the gun to his place of business, he would log it in and record the serial number, etc., then I would seal the package up and I would then carry the gun down to the Post Office and legally ship it via US Post Office since it was going from an FFL to an FFL.  In essence, I was the errend boy who physically took the package to the Post Office.  

I used to mail handguns, FFL to FFL, via U S Post Office in a Priority Mail or Flat Rate Priority Mail box, insured.  Flat rate is around $9.50 anywhere in the country nowadays.

My FFL is R Guns and Collectibles, 2137 B McCulloch, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

If you research UPS you will find that their policy (not legally required) is that handguns must ship overnight air at an outrageous cost.  I have heard of people circumventing that and shipping them ground (i.e. identifying them as a "high speed hole puncher" or as "Machine Parts") but there is an issue then that if it is lost how do you claim it on the insurance ?

Just as an example, shipping the shotgun from my zip code to my home in Somerset, Texas via USPS will run between $27 and $38 depending on whether I use parcel post or priority, amount of insurance etc..  Shipping it via UPS by ground (if I could) is $18.95 but going next day air (their requirement) is $117.00.  I haven't used FEDEX in many years and am not sure what their requirements are.  

Hey, we're getting closer.  We have figured out how to get the long gun to your proximity so I guess we are halfway there, huh ?  

Oh, yeah, I also found the original Instruction Manual from Sears for the Model 200 and the original wooden plug to make it legal for wing hunting.  I'm sure that sweetens the deal a bunch, LOL !!  Also, it will ship in a Woodstream hard case, I normally close the locks, wire them shut with baling wire and then seal the entire case with duct tape. I've never had an issue with theft, damage or loss yet.

Dan R

11. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    Let me see if I can track down the owner tomorrow, maybe the peon has it wrong. I will see if I can get there after work. Thanks!

12. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    It's now been a week with no PM's, no information or any update on the progress in this transaction. :( I'm going to assume that you are unable to find an FFL that will ship a handgun from Texas to Arizona and withdraw the offer to trade. If I am wrong in this assumption, please PM me or post.

That's a shame but perhaps this will open up another opportunity and someone else will have something better to offer in a face to face deal.

Good Luck

Dan R

13. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    Dan I am very sorry for the delay, I didn't mean to leave ya hanging. I have been working my butt off (which is actually a good thing). My FFL won't work with me here at all, so I am limited to FTF transfers only for now. I am sorry about that. I only have 1 FFL in town and lately I haven't had the time to run anywhere else in search of a transferer. Thanks so much for trying, look me up next time you come to San Antonio and we can go shooting!

14. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    No problem, kinda figured the FFL was the stumbling block. But, I needed to put it to rest one way or the other.

Perhaps someone in South Texas will have a need for a .45ACP and a pump shotgun they can let go of. I would recommend you put "FTF S. Texas" in the topic line to help pull interest.

Good Luck

Dan R

15. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    You need to talk to TxCajun. He resides in the San Antonio area. He might just be able to help you find an agreeable FFL for your needs.

16. bamf_shadow

bamf_shadow New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Beeville, TX
    I am sure that there are several FFL's in San Antonio and Corpus Christi who would work with me on this, however each is about a 2hr drive (I live in the sticks), and I avoid the city at all costs. I may have found a local buyer/trader for this, we will see.