WTS/WTT PLR-16/SU-22/PLR-22 preproduction forends

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by jessej396, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    As detailed in the SU-16 and PLR-16 forums, these are the PLR version parts that will also fit both SU-22 and PLR-22, as well as SU-16D models. These are early parts with some hand deburring that has been mechanized since, for production, as well as a fixture related accuracy issue with the position of the holes in the front used for mounting extensions. These holes are off horizontally as much as .01 inches in these parts. The bolt holes are oversized enough that this does not affect their utility, but the 1/8 dowel pin holes used for automatic precision alignment will not be useful. No matter, it's easy enough to just align it by hand before you tighten the bolts, and just leave out the dowel pins (saves weight anyway). Other than that, these are good parts that are completely identical to the final production models, and you can have them sooner, for less.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$100 each. I have five available. Final production parts will not be available for another couple weeks or so, and will cost $130.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: WTS/WTT PLR-16/SU-22/PLR-22 preproduction fore

These look nice.  How about adding links to those threads for additional info such as composition, etc.  ;)

3. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1198280250/240#240
    -PLR thread page 17. There is information about these parts throughout the last several pages of this thread.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233762312/45#45
    -SU thread page 4. The system shown here is identical except for the inside surface where the part mounts to the barrel nut, as the PLR and SU have different barrel nuts.

The design is free-floating, meaning that it contacts the gun only at the rear of the barrel (the barrel nut in this case). The mount is extremely rigid, providing a good strong precision mounting platform for accessories.

The parts are cut from a single 5 1/2 to 6 inch piece of 2 3/8 inch solid round 6061 T6511 aluminum billet on a five axis machining center (general purpose machining centers start out with only three axes) in three setups. The first setup cuts the end of the rod so that it fits in the five axis collet, as seen in the picture below. The second setup cuts the entire part (except the one end that it holds) from nine different angles with about twenty different tools through a series of over seventy different specific cutting sequences. The third setup puts the extension attachment holes in the end it was holding onto for the second setup. Fancy car rims are generally cut with simpler programs than this. Serious luxury hardware for your Kel-Tec.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Also, the parts are hard anodized type III, class 2, black. The finish is very non-reflective.

5. biozzcx

biozzcx Member

May 12, 2006

PM sent, I'll take one.

6. alexb_satx

alexb_satx New Member

Jan 20, 2009

is a SU16-C version coming out anytime soon?

7. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Yeah, in a couple weeks.

8. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005

Received mine today.  A VERY well made piece.  Mounted it on the PLR but haven't shot it since installation.  The fore end has a nice tight fit at the rear of the barrel on the barrel nut.  You could probably use it without tightening the included hardware but I tightened it up any away.

Jesse was excellent to deal with.  Buy with confidence.   :cool:

I may get a chance to do some shooting with it  tomorrow.

9. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005

Mini Review of fore end

I finally got out to put some rounds through the PLR since mounting the fore end.  I shot 40 rounds at a fast aimed fire pace I'd guess about a 2 min time frame.  I really wasn't trying for accuracy just didn't want any stray rounds flying out of my homemade range.

After the 40 rounds the fore end was warm to the touch, but not even close to the point that you would want to hold onto it.  The barrel on the other hand was hot enough that when I licked my finger then touched the barrel it sizzled.  You would let go really quick as hot as the barrel was.  I tried to move the fore end to see if it loosened up any from the shooting.  As I expected there was no movement at all.

I wondered a little if the rails built into the fore end would dig into your hand while shooting.  I didn't notice any bite from them while shooting.  I don't really intend to mount anything on the rails, so I haven't done that, I wanted it more for a grip while shooting.  I'm very pleased with it so far.

10. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005

The pre production version I got from jesse for my SU-16 came in the other day. I installed it and love it, I think I will have the factory KT one up for sale soon! I am impressed with the quality of these units, I foresee him making some money with these items! :)

BamX2

11. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

should have put this in the original post- USPS shipping $6, or any other common shipping through UPS or FedEx, price based on buyers address.

12. GettinReady

GettinReady New Member

Mar 29, 2009

PM sent.

13. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005

Jesse,

How many pre production units do you still have?? Some newbies on the board would like to know and don't have a high enough post count to view your thread yet. Also any ideas on a top cover yet?

BamX2

14. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

I still have all 5 of the units described here. I've made some decisions recently that will be increasing my overhead, and have had to focus all my efforts on things I KNOW make money (ie- not gun parts). I do have some design work I've been meaning to post in the SU thread but just hadn't quite gotten to it yet. I love making this stuff, but it's hard to justify if it doesn't sell...

15. trolldownstairs

trolldownstairs New Member

Oct 17, 2005

correct me if I'm wrong, but these pre-production units are ONLY for the Su-22 / PLR 22-16 and NOT the SU-16, right?

16. jessej396

jessej396 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Yes. You could get it on an SU-16 but the thing I'll be making soon will fit more correctly.

17. trolldownstairs

trolldownstairs New Member

Oct 17, 2005

Ok. I've been following these threads with great interest. When you have something for the SU-16, let me know. I'll defiantly be in line to buy one.

18. GettinReady

GettinReady New Member

Mar 29, 2009

PM sent.

19. hotrodchevrolet

hotrodchevrolet New Member

May 24, 2009

will these fit on my plr 16 without going past the barrel (unlike some of the pictures) ? i want an aluminum forend like this but have it similar in size to the plastic KT forend such that i can use my silencer with it.

20. diggs1870

diggs1870 New Member

May 24, 2007

So there made out of billet aluminum?