WTB Std front bead sight for S12.

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Badman400, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

I've messed around and lost the front bead sight on my older Saiga12. Anyone got one lying around? :-?

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    wish i had one. neither of mine had a bead on it I do believe....just a thread protector

3. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Did you try using a magnet... running it all over the areas you may have dropped it?

4. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

RJ the Saiga "Front" bead sight is really back over the gas block area instead of at the end of the bbl at the thread protector like most. And I think mine is the older threaded sight post type.

Mike, that would be a good thing to try if I had any idea where I lost it. But it was well over a year a ago when I noticed it being gone. I've just never really missed it that much when blasting away with the 20 round drums at freon cannisters.  :cool:

Just plain ole procrastination.  ::)

If anyone knows someone who converted to a rail system and has a spare, spread the word.  ;)

5. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I'll definitely be converting mine (when I get it) but I'm not sure I want to dispense with the original parts. I appreciate the lessen in carefully bagging and storing them though.

6. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

My gun room is half full of ziplocs with labels/notes. :D

After a few years you learn to make notes and labels. :-[

Now if I can just remember where I put that bag.... :-?

7. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Me thinks you have too many cats in those bags. Let a few of them out and you may find your Saiga parts!! ;D

8. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

You could be right. I just found a new LeVang comp that I'd misplaced well over a year ago. :-[

It was in a bag. ::)

9. HatRon56

HatRon56 Grand Poobah Supporter

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    Hi. Can you use a Hi Viz spark II front sight for a replacement ?

http://www.hivizsights.com/Shotgun-Spark-II-Front-Bead-Red-or-Green-P40C1.aspx

The extra one I have is the green one.It has never been used and is still in the original package.

If you can use it, post here or send me a PM with your address and I will get it right out to you.

Just use what works for your gun and send me back what you don't use.

Oh,and by the way, no charge, just paying it forward.

10. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

I'm not sure without seeing it closer and looking at the threads again, but I'd love to give it a try. Be a lot easier for these older eyes to see if it would.

Very nice of you to offer! Will send back anything I can't use.

PM incoming! Thanks HR!  :cool:

11. HatRon56

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    OK,its on the way to yah.
    UR Wlcm

12. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

I'll post up some pics when I get something figured out. :cool:

13. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

Ron, I got the sight today. None of the threads would fit the Saiga, but with my wife's help I filled the hole with hot glue and set the sight. After the hot glue was cured, I removed the sight, leaving a fmeale thread in the hot glue and reglued it in place with Gorilla Glue. It is clamped on with a big rubber band now. If the glue works, maybe I'll have a sort of "shock absorber" in the hot glue during live fire.

If this doesn't work, I'll clean everything out, rethread the female hole in the top of the shotgun and find an adapter to make the HiViz work. When I get it working, I'll post up some pics.

Thanks again!  :cool:

14. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Wade, can't you just heli coil the hole for the correct thread on the sight?

15. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

A possibility I hadn't considered. The threads on the HiViz shaft are very tiny though. Not sure I could find one that would work or not. But it's a good idea of something else to try.

I'm hoping the hot glue adhered well to the threads in the shotgun, and the Gorilla Glue will double as a really strong thread locker. If it does, not only will the sight stay, but the slight flexibility of the glue stick will also serve some dampening effect. I do like the way it looks through the sight line though. The green shows up well. :cool:

16. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Ya that Gorilla glue is some pretty potent stuff! Just be careful not to scratch that S12 getting the excess glue off when it foams up. :-/

17. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

I can tell you're familiar with the GG. Fortunately I anticipated that and used a very small drop on the end of a toothpick to get it down into the female threads of the glue stick and it worked out fine with no "foam over". Seems to be pretty solid, but time will tell. I'll try to remember to post back up after the first range trip as to how well it holds up. Now if I can only find some time to get back to the range.  ::)

Will post up some pics later.  :cool:

18. HatRon56

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    Have you thought of using JB Weld ?
    You would have to wait a while for it to fully cure, just a thought.
    That green sure does glow...
    Glad to be of help.

19. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

Actually no, but there's another excellent idea! I've use my share of it in the past and I've no doubt it would do the trick if I could get it mashed in there just right.

But so far, so good with what I've done. If it doesn't hold up, I'll try the heli coil, the JB Weld, or have one of my machinist friends make something up, because I DO like the HiViz green, the way it shows up! These older eyes pick up that sight picture MUCH quicker.

Thanks again HR!  :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't seem to get the camera lined up just right, but you get the idea.  ::)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My improvised "clamp":  ;)
    [​IMG]

20. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    So when is the big test? :cool: