WTB Primers

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by regrip, May 4, 2009.

1. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Can anyone point me to 1000 small pistol primers for 380 reloads??  Thanks, Tom[reason]ADDED WTB TO TITLE[/reason]

2. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Re: Primers

I you were close enough, I would just give you a pack to get you started.

This probably does not help much (magnum primers)..but you could back off the charge & work up load from these, if you want to pay the price.

Someone verify/or disallow my info. I have done this in .223 small rifle, but not sure about .380 small pistol

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128355282

3. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Magnum primers can be used in place of standard primers for both pistol and rifle, small and large.  For safety sake I would drop down 1/2 grain from your usual load. If there is any effect on accuracy, carefully work up, looking for pressure signs.

My understanding is that mag primers are intended to ignite a case full of slow burning powders, especially in cold weather. As long as you're not loading very hot, red line type loads, using fast burning powder I don't see any problems since they are simply not that much hotter.  Particularly if you are loading normal, middle of the road charges.  The danger comes in when you get up to max loads and start changing primers and even powder lots.

You might see a 20 to 30 FPS difference in Muzzle Velocity if you keep track of such things.

By the way, that auction for the mag primers is now at $40.00 a 1000, with a buy it now of $95.00, I think that's kinda steep.  And, please note that he is quoting a flat rate shipping of $20.00 (free if you use Buy it Now) but the Haz Mat Fee for shipping primers via UPS is a minimum of $25.00 AND you have to be certified in Haz Mat to pack them before they will accept the package.

I would be extremely leery of purchasing these primers. You might send the money and then find the seller cannot ship you the product........

Dan R

4. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

Dan, Thanks for the back up info. I agree, the primers on Gunbroker will be very expensive, especially if shipped. Hopefully he is close enough in Indiana to pick them up.

BTW, The most I have paid for magnum primers locally is $38 + tax at Gander Mtn (which still sux). I also bought large rifle mag primers the other day for $26/K, so there are still a few honest dealers outh there.

Bert

5. Re: Primers

DANG-  I thought this was a primer for sale thread.  

Good luck finding them.....very very hard to find now.

BTW-regrip-  I added WTB to the title of the thread to help.

6. moulon_labe

moulon_labe New Member

Mar 16, 2009

I went to the gun show in Raleigh Sat a.m. specifically to buy primers and ammo cans.  By 9:30 a.m. there was ONE guy left with SP primers, and he wanted 135 dollars a thousand!!!!

They are impossible to find right now.

7. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008

I went to the gun show in Raleigh Sat a.m. specifically to buy primers and ammo cans.  By 9:30 a.m. there was ONE guy left with SP primers, and he wanted 135 dollars a thousand!!!!

They are impossible to find right now.[/quote]

i hate scalpers.!

8. moulon_labe

moulon_labe New Member

Mar 16, 2009

i hate scalpers.![/quote]

Me, too. The only thing I hate worse is meddlesome politicians who figure that THEY are more efficient than the markets at bringing prices back in line (pun deliberate.... "in line" as in "there is a line a block long"). We have an artificially produced shortage right now, as all the primer manufacturers are selling every last unit out the door to the ammo manufacturers. The panic will subside, OR we will have rigs set up in China, Vietnam, Brazil, Ukraine, and Guatemala to produce what our manufacturers can't, and the prices will eventually come back in line.

Funny thing is, though, I have made a living for the past 30 years on fading hysteria (I have been a floor broker in commodities and options and now manage money, trading derivatives and forex products). EVERY single time when prices get like this, I start to sell. EVERY single time, I have made money (although I may have had to adjust my entry point a bit).

I simply cannot bring myself to sell right now. I have all the naive hysteria of granny who bought 18 cans of coffee when it went to four dollars a pound in the 70s, or 15 five pound bags of sugar when it topped out. I just cannot sell into this price rally, but am still buying more!

9. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

They are impossible to find right now.[/quote]

good grief....

Well, I went on a road trip with dad today. We hit one gunshow, and 4 dealers.

At the gunshow, primers were $70/K, at one store they were $50 - $60/K. I bought them at the last place for $31/K. God bless honest men.

Bert