WTB ammo "spam can" opener

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by haertig, Jun 7, 2011.

1. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I could use two ammo "spam can" openers. Anybody have any extras laying around?

2. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I have 2 unopened cans myself. I bought a pair of old army style P-38 openers to put with them. But I admit I havent' tried them yet.

3. phideaux

phideaux Fido for short Supporter

Feb 8, 2011
    West Ky

Hey Dave, I am looking at buying some spam can ammo also. Opener not included.

Question .. Is there another way to open the can, I have never seen one

I was thinking pliers of some sort. No?

Jim

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    ;D Not sure if this is the "right" way to open a spam can....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQVka5lRbQ[/ame]

5. phideaux

phideaux Fido for short Supporter

Feb 8, 2011
    West Ky
    Holy Crap !!!

Not me !

My wife has a dandy electric opener for canned corn ,beans etc .
    Whatdaya think?

Jim

PS. Metal cuttin blade in a jig saw?

6. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I have heard of, but never tried, using a grinder to grind off the top edge all the way around the can. Then you can lift the lid off, and replace it afterwards.

I have got one spam can opener. But I'd like to have one opener attached to each spam can of ammo (not a shared opener). That's for if the ammo gets separated and the cans are not all together as they are now. I've got my 7.62x39 ammo with can opener attached, but I'd like to get openers for my 7.62x54r ammo and my 8mm mauser ammo too. These particular spam cans are my long term storage ammo that may end up in my kids hands someday. I have other (opened) ammo for my normal shooting.

7. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
  8. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    I've never opened a spam can, so this is just conjecture, but couldn't you use any old fashioned can opener? I have one attached to my swiss army knife.

9. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I have heard that the can openers on Swiss Army Knifes and Leatherman tools work. Slowly, but they work if you're persistant and have a lot of time. But I've never tried opening an ammo can this way myself. I would like something attached to the can (with duct tape, etc.) so it would always be there for SHTF scenarios. I would get expensive to buy a bunch of SAK's or Leathermans. Maybe I'll check the grocery store to see of thay have those older style "claw" can openers still available. I haven't seen one of those in a while.

10. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Tried one a few minutes ago.  Won't work.  The notch in the side that goes over the rim isn't deep enough.  I could probably make it fit with a file but is it worth the effort.  Does anybody know who sells the Commie openers, if anybody?  I know I can get the cans open if the need arose, but like haertig it would be nice if I had the opener that was intended for them.

11. haertig

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I just tried the opener on my Leathermax Wave. I didn't actually puncture the can, because the purpose of a sealed can, is, well, to remain sealed until you actually need it.

I think, with much effort, you *might* be able to get the Leatherman opener to work. It would not be pretty. You have to angle the Leatherman opened at such an angle that you're actually poking holes 1/8-1/4" inside the edge. It doesn't really fit the wide rim of the ammo cans. The military issued openers have a side-to-side offset between the cutting edge and the part that rides over/around the lip edge. The military openers are not a flat piece of metal like the Leatherman/SAK/kitchen openers.

12. JediJJJ

JediJJJ New Member

May 2, 2011
    I did try the grinder method and it worked well and wa fast, plus I got to use power tools. :D

This obviously isn't what you are looking for for attaching to the cans for long term storage. I did buy a couple of the official spam can openers a couple of years back. I think it was from sarco or e-gunparts. They were part of a larger order so no individual shipping. They are probably available at gun shows also.

13. ryr8828

ryr8828 New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I was promised a can opener with my 3,180 round order but it wasn't in the package. So I punctured the edge of the can with a screwdriver and then opened it with tin snips. Managed to cut myself.