Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Momma KT received Twin 1 last Thursday in at least 4 different baggies.  Besides the trigger axis problem I was having I royally screwed up the frame (broke off part of the aluminum slide in the back) taking it in and out of the grip trying to reassemble.

Today big brown drove up with a CNC package and Twin 1 looks brand new.  That's 3 Business Days folks!!!!  I am not telling whose cute little tush I kissed (actually I don't know) but I must be living just right.  

What I don't get, however, is that the Repair Order just doesn't match the work  obviously done - is this normal?  For instance I know that I had spring/trigger axis problems in addition to the damage to the frame, yet all the order says is replaced slide and/or barrel.  I am pretty sure they actually replaced the whole gun with my serial number but again, that is a choice on the Repair Order and it is not marked.  Does it matter?

Finally I want to point out this was not a out of the box just didn't work right, failures etc.  This was about 50 perfect rounds out of the box and then a broken part in the trigger assembly.  My point is that it was not a QC problem.  

I LOVE THIS COMPANY!

-Scott

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: WOW - What Service

Update: Not a full function test but 56 Rounds including the last 6 being interleaved dpx and american eagle just flew through newly returned Twin 1 without problem. (Except maybe the neighbors...)

It still needs a few hundred more obviously but I am comfortable it will go bang every time now.

-Scott

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Congrats, Scott, on getting everything made right! I'll say WoW! Thats really good service. How can you NOT love a company like this.

If they knew they had to replace the frame, the easiest way is to just give you a brand new gun, but for some reason, they don't usually mark it as such.

How do you find the recoil compares between the DPX and the AE?

Packer.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  How do you find the recoil compares between the DPX and the AE?
BANG BANG bang, BANG bang, BANG bang, click.

Answer your question?

It is noticeably different but not significantly worse. Nothing like the difference between a .357 and a .38 in the revolver. It was dusk and the muzzle flash was much worse with the DPX, however.

-Scott

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  If they knew they had to replace the frame, the easiest way is  to just give you a brand new gun, but for some reason, they don't usually mark it as such.
I've been thinking about this comment a bit.  I am wondering if there is some reason that they do re-engrave the serial number.  I am betting there are taxes/duties/quotas or something that applies to guns "released" for sale and that a gun re-serialized with an old number does not count as a second gun if they bring in and destroy the first?  

IF I am right about that, can you imagine the security on the "unmarked" gun cabinet?

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
You are correct.  They have to reissue the same serial or they couldn't ship the gun back to you.  It would not be yours and would have to be reregistered/called in, etc.  I'm sure the old frames are well controlled until destroyed.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
adamsesq said:
I am pretty sure they actually replaced the whole gun with my serial number but again, that is a choice on the Repair Order and it is not marked.
Just AWAG but I bet a repair order that says “replaced pistol” would have to go to the front office. If you are doing repairs would you want to have to go to the boss and get it ok’d or just not list all the parts :)

Wilson – who’s all for letting the hands on folks keep on keeping on

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
1. As has been noted, the only gun they can legally return to you under Federal Law has to have the same serial number on it as the one you sent them.

2. Many large city's require gun registration.

3. Some state CCW laws require qualification with the one specfic gun you intend to carry. The serial number of that gun appears on your CCW permit.

Imagine the hassle & expense you would have to go through if you got a different serial number back then the one that was registered to you, and/or appeared on your CCW permit, as the gun you were qualified with & allowed to carry.

rcmodel

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never thought of all of the "other" folk who have more restrictions than we do in Oregon.  Although we might not like, I guess Federal Law regarding mailing does still apply here but we pretty much are free after that.  

Thanks for all the great info.

-Scott

G

·
TxCajun said:
You are correct.  They have to reissue the same serial or they couldn't ship the gun back to you.  It would not be yours and would have to be reregistered/called in, etc.  I'm sure the old frames are well controlled until destroyed.
don't bet on it though. I reported to this forum about 2 weeks about of an incident of a charter arms 38 that I sent back to the factory for a customrer and it was lost etc and charter sent us a new one with a different serial number (which we had to rerigester) and a few years later that gun that was lost was used in a shooting in NY. They stole it out of the factory,.
would hope kt destroys everything but they do have employees working there, so anything can happen. I would certainly save all paperwork that kt ever sent to me when they replace an entire weapon, for that means that same entire weapon is in house somewhere, hopefully destroyed..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.