Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a similar thread on BPF, thought it would be interesting to hear what folks here had to say to this prompt:

"Not SHTF, not the jungles of Cambodia, just home and property defense. In other words, do you find the RDB that YOU own to be reliable enough to trust you life to in a bump in the night or broken window situation?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
No. It’s nifty and I like that it can easily be used with one hand (for a magazine worth anyway) but it lacks a basic reliability I would expect in a firearm to be used for any sort of life or death purpose.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don’t look to a high power rifle for Hd. The choice for me is pump shotgun or pistol. For a multitude of reasons the only loaded weapon in my house is a mossberg. But to answer your question more directly, I wouldn’t “trust” any weapon that’s not a glock unless I put xxxx rounds through it. Then, based on those results, I’d consider any weapon, including the rdb.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
All the above. Also consider noise.
.45 acp silenced is very indoor friendly.
Any .45 carbine you can put put a can on, like the vector, is a great choice, second to shotgun, because stopping power is what you want. but you do what you have to.
But RDB , I wouldn't. Maybe another AR with frangible ammo that functions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I do trust my RDB in that roll now, but it took me some time to get there. My model had reliability issues until about 1200 rounds. Since I've fixed them all and gone over 2000 rounds, I now have faith in my example. Also I do put a suppressor on my RDB and use it exactly in that roll along with an AR pistol. I also use shotguns, and suppressed pistols as well. The pistols are more for convenience at times as I don't feel they can be as reliable for stopping a threat as the others. My RDB now seems to never have stoppages, even dirty after other range sessions. And suppressors really get things dirty fast.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It just may serve that purpose in the future, along with my primary EDC, and my semi-auto shotgun. After only one range trip, in which it was flawless, I find the RDB very accurate at 50 yards, and have switched it's optic with my AR; a Nikon 3-9, for EOTech and BUIS. I'm surmising the AR may be better than the RDB at long range, but I'll soon find out for sure.

Edit: After a few more range trips, in which the RDB again and again performed flawlessly, it now serves as third arm of HD, and now wears an EOTech with BUIS and flashlight. I also find it far easier to wield than an AR, inside a house.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’d have to vote No on this one. It’s like flying - there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots. I’ve have enough hiccups with my RDB to make me shy away from any type of reliability dream. None catastrophic but problematic enough to know things would go South in a hurry if it failed. I have Kriss Vectors - same story. While they mostly work - I’ve had random issues. (Mostly on the .45ACP as opposed to the 9mm version)

Without opening a debate about 5.56 suitability for home defense - I can say my Glock goes bang every time. Hell - all of my 30 some Glocks go bang every time to the point they’re boring in the best imaginable way. Shotguns too! I keep enough around that I could easily fight my way to the heavier stuff if I need something different for situational circumstances.

I have this weird disease where I have to try almost everything that comes out and obsess about it until it’s available and I can get my hands on it. That said - I’ve had my share of early adopter quirks with many guns. I never carry my latest and greatest because I’d rather have tried and true vs flashy and sassy. It’s kind of like the love for the AK platform. They’re not the most beautiful but they work in the worst conditions. I’ve known many fellow veterans who would gladly trade for an AK after having their rifle fail in live fire engagement scenarios. That pretty much sums up my thinking.

You’ll always get mixed responses to these types of questions and I know there are a few here who have cycled a small fortune in ammo through their RDB without a single problem so would guess they are potential Yes votes - and others who have never been in a situation where their life depended on reliability. I’d personally be cautionary to suggest anyone bet their life or lives of their family on anything questionable.

Whatever you go with - make sure you know how to use it in every imaginable way to expert status and you can do so blindfolded and repeatable without question. Practice meaningful timed drills on a regular basis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put a few more hundred rounds through my new RDB over the weekend, this time suppressed and had great success with it again. POI shift was basically non-existent with the can and reliability has been 100% since the first round I fired.

I have taken it apart after each range trip and checked all of the screws, pins etc and have not found any issues or concerns at all.

I think that I would still trust my Daniel Defense M4V1lw a bit more, but probably just because I have thousands of rounds through it without any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Nope. Still seeing too many guys getting jammed up on their first range trips

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, but only after I have ensured long term reliability, which I have on mine.

Mine wears a suppressor, a WML with a laser and a Burris MTAC 1-4.
I’ve heard you say several times how flawless your RDB has been and I’m curious if there’s a secret here. You were actually the one I referenced in my previous post about small fortunes in ammo through their RDB without problems!!!

I’ve made requests to sticky a thread before but never got acknowledgement, however, I’m thinking there may be value in a checklist to ensure reliability. Do you think there are steps people could do to get the reliability you’ve experienced or is it potentially a luck of the draw type of scenario? For example - I still haven’t figured out the broken firing pins people have run into. Short of breaking my rifle down for inspection after every use (which I never do) I’d be afraid of running into this or any other issue at the least opportune time (I.e. when my life depended on it)

·
Registered
62 Posts
If folks ever have to trust their life to a machine, then there is always the chance that something is going to go wrong. I have had jams on my Daniel Defense, my Tavor, my Glocks etc. it happens if you shoot enough.

I think that is the reason that it's always prudent to practice transition skills.

With that said, if the zombies started walking the earth tomorrow, I would probably not be grabbing the RDB (even though right now it is my favorite new gun to play with) but I haven't practiced enough with it to trust myself with being able to clear a malfunction effectively, efficiently and quickly like I have with my ARs

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
If folks ever have to trust their life to a machine, then there is always the chance that something is going to go wrong. I have had jams on my Daniel Defense, my Tavor, my Glocks etc. it happens if you shoot enough.

I think that is the reason that it's always prudent to practice transition skills.

With that said, of the zombies started walking the earth tomorrow, I would probably not be grabbing the RDB (even though right now it is my favorite new gun to play with) but I haven't practiced enough with it to trust myself with being able to clear a malfunction effectively, efficiently and quickly like I have with my ARs
Yep. KTs are fun but always have a AK or AR for SHTF.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I’ve heard you say several times how flawless your RDB has been and I’m curious if there’s a secret here. You were actually the one I referenced in my previous post about small fortunes in ammo through their RDB without problems!!!

I’ve made requests to sticky a thread before but never got acknowledgement, however, I’m thinking there may be value in a checklist to ensure reliability. Do you think there are steps people could do to get the reliability you’ve experienced or is it potentially a luck of the draw type of scenario? For example - I still haven’t figured out the broken firing pins people have run into. Short of breaking my rifle down for inspection after every use (which I never do) I’d be afraid of running into this or any other issue at the least opportune time (I.e. when my life depended on it)
I did a basic clean and shot about 100 rounds, then, I took it all apart and checked everything. I polished and deburred the piston and contact surfaces. Next, my rifle is tuned correctly for my ammo, not over-gassed, but not on the edge either. I keep it well lubed with Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Oil. I did have a few issues with the loose rail, which I have fixed. Sure, I could have got a good one, but I actually got two at the same time and the other one is with a LEO in Arkansas and his runs great too.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.