Featured Would you trust YOUR RDB for home defense?

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by Jimfish67, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jimfish67

Jimfish67 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Saw a similar thread on BPF, thought it would be interesting to hear what folks here had to say to this prompt:

"Not SHTF, not the jungles of Cambodia, just home and property defense. In other words, do you find the RDB that YOU own to be reliable enough to trust you life to in a bump in the night or broken window situation?"

SAS MAYHEM likes this.
  2. Gooman18

Gooman18 Active Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Based on the merits of my model, no. I've had too many issues with it to be counted on when I need it most.

iamscottasus likes this.

3. Sirocco

Sirocco Member

Mar 1, 2018
    No. It’s nifty and I like that it can easily be used with one hand (for a magazine worth anyway) but it lacks a basic reliability I would expect in a firearm to be used for any sort of life or death purpose.

iamscottasus likes this.
  4. Berk

Berk Active Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I don’t look to a high power rifle for Hd. The choice for me is pump shotgun or pistol. For a multitude of reasons the only loaded weapon in my house is a mossberg. But to answer your question more directly, I wouldn’t “trust” any weapon that’s not a glock unless I put xxxx rounds through it. Then, based on those results, I’d consider any weapon, including the rdb.

iamscottasus likes this.
  5. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    All the above. Also consider noise.
    .45 acp silenced is very indoor friendly.
    Any .45 carbine you can put put a can on, like the vector, is a great choice, second to shotgun, because stopping power is what you want. but you do what you have to.
    But RDB , I wouldn't. Maybe another AR with frangible ammo that functions.

6. steve76

steve76 Active Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Bullhead City, AZ.
    IMO, best home defense, pump shotgun in any gauge with 00buckshot.

iamscottasus likes this.
  7. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Active Member

Jun 4, 2017
    I do trust my RDB in that roll now, but it took me some time to get there. My model had reliability issues until about 1200 rounds. Since I've fixed them all and gone over 2000 rounds, I now have faith in my example. Also I do put a suppressor on my RDB and use it exactly in that roll along with an AR pistol. I also use shotguns, and suppressed pistols as well. The pistols are more for convenience at times as I don't feel they can be as reliable for stopping a threat as the others. My RDB now seems to never have stoppages, even dirty after other range sessions. And suppressors really get things dirty fast.

8. odinforever2000

odinforever2000 Member

Oct 6, 2011
    That is currently the role my RDB serves..Once I get a suppressor that will remove one more variable ill have to deal with.

9. AscendantJustice

AscendantJustice Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I have had zero reliability issues with my RDB so far, so I would trust it. I'm looking to get a suppressor to really cement it into the home defense role.