Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen this on another forum. They asked would you recommend the firearm to a friend. I think it would be a good question to ask here.
People talked about why they would or wouldn't recommend it and the things the manufacturer could change that would make it more recommendable.

I personally would recommend the pf-9 to a experience shooter that wants a small gun to pocket carry or something small to conceal easily.

I also think for an extra magazine would be nice, I would rather have another magazine then the hard case.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would. Extra mags are nice for the range but most likely uneccesary in a fire fight. If you can't fight your way to safety in 7 rounds you've got some serious issues that another magazine won't fix.
I would suggest a comfortable holster over another magazine.
Of course mags are like butter, cheese, and chocolate. There is no such thing as too much (many).

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I would recommend it to a friend who isn't a novice shooter. I carry my PF9 all the time but I don't think it's a good choice for an inexperienced shooter.

Not to get side tracked but carrying an extra mag is a must IMO. Extra ammo is great plus many semi auto failures are magazine related. It's not like they are hard to carry either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It did work on TreyVon, and it may work for you if you need it but I wont buy you one. If you like it, get one. Firearms aren't one type suits all. I like mine and if you need a decent priced firearm in 9mm I say check it out I dont think mine is too bad even though there might be a bad apple in the bunch. If you are the original owner they do well with the warranty. Dont fret secondhand users as im told pay shipping and there very helpful. Give one a feel, and a try if able keep a open mind about one.
So in retrospect I recommend checking one out as well as a Bersa and others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think with any single stack you need a spare magazine on you. If something ever happened in don't think the bad person will be carrying a single stack.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hell, yes, highly recommended.
Extra magazines? Single assailant, not needed. Often as not, criminals travel in gangs so multiple assailants. That means reloading. Throw in the possibility of of terrorist action, & I now carry TWO spare mags.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes, I would recommend to friend.

I'd also recommend the P-11.

Regarding handling and & mag capacity, I let a friend shoot my PF-9. He disliked the recoil,
and purchased a P-11. The slightly wider grip made all the difference in shooting for him,
and he shoots it quite well!

I liked his P-11 enough to pick one up in a pawnshop. I've put belt clips on both, and while
the P-11 is thicker, it's has less pointy bits than the PF-9, and is actually more comfortable,
to me. With 10 or more rounds in the mag, it's one neat carry gun.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I would not recommend it to an inexperienced shooter. Definitely not as a first gun. Being a super lightweight, it is predisposed to limp wristing. You have to practice with any handgun, but you have to practice more with a PF9.

I would recommend it to an experienced shooter if they were looking for something in 9mm that is small and lightweight enough to pocket carry. And if they were willing to accept the long heavy trigger (that's good for safety, but counterproductive to fast accurate shooting). But if they did not care about pocket carry and were going for OWB or IWB carry instead, my recommendation would be for the Smith & Wesson Shield over the PF9, hands down.

If small size and light weight are your primary concern, then a PF9 is a viable choice. But if size/weight are lower on your priority list, there are better options out there these days. Another plus for the PF9 is its very cheap price. You get a reasonable gun for not a lot of money. So if you are financially squeezed, the PF9 becomes more attractive as well. The once-legendary KelTec service is no more. I long for the old days when a simple phone call would get you whatever you needed - advice or parts. But that no longer happens.

BTW, I am not ragging on the PF9. I have carried one daily for many years, and plan to continue doing so. I have no plans to replace it. But if I were starting over, I would probably choose the Shield over the PF9.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would recommend the PF9 depending on what a person wants it for. But that is a caveat I hold for every gun. I purchased mine as a secondary EDC/CCW to my G26 and for that I believe it is perfect! There are sometimes, especially in the heat of summer or certain clothing combinations where I want that slim form factor of a single stack and the PF9 is perfect for these times.

I wouldn't recommend it to a new shooter who wanted to get their first gun. But if they have experience shooting and are looking for a slim carry gun, or like me a second carry gun for a different situation then I would recommend the PF9 hands down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that the PF9 is best suited to a shooter with some experience, who won't limp-wrist the pistol; will properly rack the slide, properly break in the weapon, and do a proper trigger job on it.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I agree that the PF9 is best suited to a shooter with some experience, who won't limp-wrist the pistol; will properly rack the slide, properly break in the weapon, and do a proper trigger job on it.
Welcome to the KTOG forum family. Four out of five isn't bad for a first post. You should realize that +99% of PF-9 owners are happy with the trigger.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
It would depend on the friend. A lot of people simply can't handle the recoil (causing limp wrist problems) or the trigger (unable to use the gun effectively for its intended purpose). If I thought the friend could use it well, and it fit what they wanted, absolutely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using my PF9 in point shooting practice (Index finger pointing along frame and middle finger on trigger). I'm surprised at how good this works at 2-5 yards, even moving targets. The felt recoil and snapback were reduced by using this grip. For this reason I would recommend the PF9 to anyone interested in practicing this potentially life saving method of shooting. The same technique was not nearly as accurate or comfortable on my P11 or my wife's Kahr PM9 or my Ruger SR9C. All three had my index finger pointed at an upward angle causing all rounds to be very low.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have been using my PF9 in point shooting practice (Index finger pointing along frame and middle finger on trigger). I'm surprised at how good this works at 2-5 yards, even moving targets. The felt recoil and snapback were reduced by using this grip. For this reason I would recommend the PF9 to anyone interested in practicing this potentially life saving method of shooting. The same technique was not nearly as accurate or comfortable on my P11 or my wife's Kahr PM9 or my Ruger SR9C. All three had my index finger pointed at an upward angle causing all rounds to be very low.
Now there is an interesting, life saving, concept. I don't understanid why you had a problem using this technique on a P-11. Dimensionally they are almot identical except the slightly thicker grip of the P-11.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I have been using my PF9 in point shooting practice (Index finger pointing along frame and middle finger on trigger).
I have never heard of that. Interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I can conceptualize in my head how that technique might help with instinctive shooting (not using the sights). People are usually fairly accurate at pointing their index finger at something. Seems like the moving slide could put some pain on your index finger though. I'll wrap my finger with tape, as a safety measure, the first time I try it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.