Would you jump out of a perfectly good plane?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Nu_Agin_Shooter, Oct 23, 2010.

1. I am about to for the first time! I have missed the opportunity three years running, but the schedules finally lined up just right, and in a few hours I will make my first jump!

Hopefully I will be able to post a few pics soon.

2. Going Up!  It took about 15 minutes and was very tight!
    [​IMG]

On the landing gear ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Free fall.  The small orange chute is a "drag chute" to slow and stabilize us.
    [​IMG]

Free fall close up.
    [​IMG]

Floating.
    [​IMG]

On the ground again with my grandsons.
    [​IMG]

Click on image to see video of crash landing!
    [​IMG]

3. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Only if the pilot says it is going to crash. They put landing gear on them for a reason.
    Good luck and have a great time.

4. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Have fun !

with achy bones & all, I personally don't even jump off a perfectly good porch!  ;)  

B.

5. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    My cousin did this and has a video of it. They used a Blue Man Group song for the jump. It was pretty cool.

6. Well, I am back on the ground with no broken bones or any other such damage.  

Jumped with another guy tied to my back from 9,000 + feet.  30 seconds of free fall and then 5 minutes of float.  BOTH time periods seemed MUCH shorter. The landing was a tumble because my instructor was yelling at me about pulling something, but I was so busy grinning I forgot all about what he told me I was supposed to do.  He laughed it off and told me it happens all the time!

The sky was beautiful, nice and cool, winds very calm.

Had a BLAST, but I don't think I will do it again.  Not that I think I am anywhere near that time, but the jump was a bucket list kind of thing for me.

7. rgrmax

rgrmax New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    West Texas
    Glad you had a good jump. Any jump you can walk (or crawl) away from is a good jump. It's a rush isn't it? I have thought about trying a free fall jump, the view must have been something else. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
    rgrmax

8. dawghowse

dawghowse Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    SW Florida
    Glad you had a good jump. ;) I'm an old Paratrooper and we used to say " The Air Force owns them they can't be perfectly good" [smiley=lolk.gif] It might apply to civilian aircraft too. :cool:

9. WOW!!! I would do it in a New York minute if given the chance.

10. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

I heard that the aviation industry as a whole had a perfect record. They haven't left one up there yet.

11. check the video added in post #2

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    what were you suppose to pull and what was suppose to happen.

I don't think I would want a cord I could pull that would seperate my harness from the guy with the chute. I did notice once on the ground, the harness were sperated fairly easily :-/

13. I was supposed to help him pull the TOGGLE CORDS down- I think they are supposed to flair out the chute to produce more drag and slow descent rate. My failure to help us slow down caused a faster/harder landing. He advised me that it happens a lot. If you noticed, he just rolled over me. Yeah- I think he has done that a few times!

The two harnesses connected at four separate D-rings with heavy snaps accessible from the back.

14. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Did my five jumps, got my wings, very proud of them- can't imagine ever doing it again. It was a blast. Never did free fall and at one time I thought it would be fun, now my stomach flips when I watch it on TV.

15. mindcrime

mindcrime New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I know I love to! I also know I would freeze up there and have problems jumping. Once I did it once, I'd be hooked.

My real big problem -- I'm 6'2" and 360lbs. Is it really practical for me to jump recreationally? Is there a size limit?

16. Blue_State_Saint

Blue_State_Saint Active Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Same here. If you saw the main reason for me going to Benning, you'd understand. About 5'5", 127 pounds, long blond hair, blue eyes . . . and my best friend in my Officer Basic Course at FT Gordon. I figured that if she could do it, so could I.

17. KORNBREAD

KORNBREAD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    GA
    Done it. Do it. Love it.

Best summed up with a quote from the Road Warriors-" WHAT A RUSH".

18. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I've thought about it. My father in law has done it about once a year since he was in college back in the 70's. He usually does it with his two brothers down in Australia. He said it keeps him alive. :-? Maybe I'll give it a go next time I'm down under. Maybe not.

19. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I was told there's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane...

Did it once; It was a huge pain. Pay a lot of money. Drive 4 hours, take an 8 hour class and get told it's too windy to jump, drive 4 hours home. Drive 4 hours back again, take the follow-up refresher class, wait all day; get told it's too windy to jump. Get fed up with waiting and take the tandem jump and drive the four hours home again.

I will say it was a blast. IIRC, we went up to about 12,000 feet to jump. It was in September (100 degree weather in Texas) but the air up there was in the 40s and felt great. Jump was easy but they have you trained through your routine so you don't have time to enjoy the view during free-fall. Once the chute opened, it was nice; nothing but air between my feet and the ground for a mile! Hit the ground hard (same thing, didn't help pull the lines on landing) but it was a neat experience overall. I didn't get the rush people talk about but I tend to be a fairly laid-back person and can take things like this without much effect. ::)

I would do it again if they would just give me a chute and put me in the plane but all of the procedure makes it frustrating. We did see a pretty bad accident while we were waiting. Two other jumpers were coming down but one ran into the other and got their chutes tangled up. The both cut away and one deployed his backup but the other stayed in free-fall and was very close to the ground when her chute opened... It turns out, when they hit, her arm got broken by the impact and she was unable to deploy the backup manually. The automatic deployment of the backup chute is all that saved her life...

20. canonsix

canonsix Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Billings,Mt
    Yes I would and did. The answer is simple" have you ever landed in a airplane with the U.S.Airforce ::), I always thought jumping was far safer. Doug