Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry my P3AT in it's rug quite often, in front or back pocket. In the front pocket, it's below the top of the pocket, but in the backpocket, it's not.

So I started thinking...if carrying in a fanny pack is considered concealed, and if you cannot tell what is in my rug, and I carry it on my belt, openly (no shirt covering it), would it still be considered concealed?

What about if I walked around with the rug in my hand, could this be considered concealed? I carry an extra magazine in the rug, so it fills out the outline of the rug. It doesn't look like a gun. If I carry a gun in a "portfolio", it is considered concealed.

What about a camera bag?

How close or far away from the look would you need to be to be considered concealed?

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Yes, it is concealed but not terribly tactical. And carrying on your belt in that pouch may not be a good idea. What if the zipper worked loose and it fell out? :eek: 

I'd suggest a good pocket holster.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can draw from the holsters I use in less than 1 second - How long does it take to unzip and whip it out (gun that is)?  :eek:

Other things to consider-

Some will know Kel-Tec makes guns - so if  BG see you have a "purse" with kel-Tec printed on it they may pass you by (good thing) or shoot you quick before you can unzip (bad thing)

If you are ever in a situation where you are being held at gun point - even if the BG does not know what Kel-Tec is they will still see it on your belt and want it.  

I would rather have the surprise on my side.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should

·
Registered
164 Posts
red-beard said:
So I started thinking...if carrying in a fanny pack is considered concealed, and if you cannot tell what is in my rug, and I carry it on my belt, openly (no shirt covering it), would it still be considered concealed?

Thoughts?
Concealed, yes. Smart, NO. What's the problem with a proper holster? You may need to access it with out drawing attention to it. Unzipping a bag is drawing attention to it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with a proper holster is that it is not concealed without a shirt or jacket covering it. In the summer time, it is difficult to carry here.

I'm not actually considering using the Kel-Tec rug, but maybe a camera bag.

I love carrying my 1911 in a regular holster, under my long jacket. But I will only be able to do this for a short period of time. It will be shorts weather by April.

Fast Draw? I don't think that is necessary unless my situational awareness is completely lost.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hear your carry concerns. I live in the florida Keys, it's summer all the time here and it's easier for me to pocket carry in shorts rather than jeans. Hides better. The camera bag is much better than the Kel-Tec bag, blends just a "little better". As far as the fast draw, I'll leave that to the fast draw experts here. ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
red-beard said:
The problem with a proper holster is that it is not concealed without a shirt or jacket covering it. In the summer time, it is difficult to carry here.
I have carried in Houston plenty in a pocket hoster. You are right, in the summer, you can't dress around a bigger gun around these parts. That's why I love the P3s. 8)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
red-beard said:
For summer time I cannot imagine anything better than a smartcarry or thunderware (I use the former) and a p3at.

I wear it under gym clothes (short shorts or sweats) all the time running, working out etc. Once you get used to where/how to wear it you don't even know it is there.

Not to paint too pretty a picture for you, but around the house at night it is me, my boxers and my smartcarry.

-Scott

·
Registered
210 Posts
Legal carry cuz no one can even make out the shape much less see it...I've used it exactly one time...never again.

Very slow draw unless left partially open in the pocket.

I used permanent black marker to wipe out the white Kel Tec logo.

·
Registered
357 Posts
" Fast Draw? I don't think that is necessary unless my situatinal awarness is completely lost."

I would have to agree that situational awareness is very important - in fact it would be at the top of the list - because I can not think of anything that is more important. If your skills are perfect I guess you could always see the problem coming - would not ever need a gun - which is a good thing.

So when you sense trouble do you unzip and put your hand in the bag?

When you see a camera bag or fanny pack on a guy what does your situational awarness tell you?

Is it just GUN! or maybe GLOCK? or 1911?

What does a BG think when he sees a man wearing a camera bag on his belt - do they think GUN - or do they think $500 camera + wallet + cell phone?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least in this City, the usual events involve being held up at Gas Pumps, car washes or fender benders. In each of this situations, there is some time.

The shootings at the "night clubs" are not a problem, since I don't frequent them.

I am realistically trying to figure out more options to carry and I'll take the good comments with the bad.

·
Registered
357 Posts
red-beard -

I also live in Houston - and had a situation at a gas station back in December.

One second I though the car pulling in to the pump next to me was just some guy getting gas - one second latter I am wondering if I am about to be robbed. Its hard to tell sometimes what people are about to do -

BTW - some clubs in Houston will not even let you in the door if you are wearing a fanny pack - and the clubs that allow you to wear a fanny pack - most will ask you to let them see what you have inside. Since its not legal to carry in a club (bar) - If you have a gun they will ask you to leave + call the police. Which is really a shame - because women just love a guy who wears a fanny pack! ;D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
1. If it is out of sight it is concealed and I hope you have a CCW permit. What is more important IMO is whether such a carry would do you much good.

2. I'm a big believer in situational awareness and avoiding conflict whenever possible. I also carry guns because I am not under the illusion that I am always smart enough or aware enough to see a really well planned attack coming.

3. If I am attacked I know that my basic planning and preparation have failed. I'm probably at a disadvantage and, if surprised, I don't have a gun in my hand. To give myself a chance I practice a smooth fumble free draw. Not what you would call fast but fairly quick and very certain.

Bad guys act and good guys have to react. It puts us behind the curve most of the time. To have a chance if it appears that the BG is intending murder, we need to be able to present the gun smoothly and quickly and also practice tactics of deception and distraction as 2PP has suggested.

It's a lot of work to be really prepared and not worth it to most people. I can't say that is a bad decision but it sure isn't my decision.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.