Worth the weight?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Poppers_2-4, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I bought the P-3AT because of its size and weight, weight being most important. I've filled out the order for the DeSantis Sting holster about 4 times within the last hour. What's stopping me is how much will the holster, loaded gun and loaded mag will weigh. Does anyone have any idea? :-/
    Thanks...

http://www.desantisholster.com/073.html

2. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Less than anything else like it. :D

3. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but I was trying to move away from the PM9 or 642 because of weight and bulk.

4. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    The P3AT fully loaded with Buffalo Bore gold dots in addition to an ArmaLaser weighs 10.3 ounces. By contrast, my fully loaded 357 magnum S&W with laser weighs 11.4 oz. That 1.1 oz difference may not seem like much, but it sure feels like a lot!

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What is probably stopping you is that you were thinking that what you really wanted instead of the Desantis was the $10.00 www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com Pocket Pal:

[​IMG]

I have both and prefer the CC by far over the Desantis.

-Scott

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I got out my scale and did some weighing (all of this is in ounces)…

8.3 P3-AT empty
    1.11 Magazine (empty)
    0.32 Cartridge (average of six different types of .380 , includes FMJ and JHP)

So, since the holster you are showing holds two mags:

2.22 Two Mags
    4.16 Cartridges  (0.32 x 13) (12 (2 mags)  + 1 (in the chamber)
    8.3  Gun
    -----------------
    14.68 Total, Gun and 2 Mags Fully Loaded

Add to that the weight of the holster.

Bobo

7. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008

Thank You for your time and reply, hope I can reciprocate one day!

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    .8 oz for the CC holster pictured above. Don't have access to my Desantis pile of holsters right now (in a box SOMEWHERE????) but I would guess not more than .2 oz difference.

-Scott

9. Potlicquor

Potlicquor New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    I have been carrying concealed (P-32HC and/or P-3ATHC) for eight years now and have never used a holster of any kind. This may not be suitable or practical for everyone, but it is for me. I wear loose fitting shorts or trousers and have no "print" problems. The only issue I've had thus far is "pocket lint" getting into the various small places.

However, that can be virtually eliminated by dusting out/off the inside of that pocket prior to carry. I also clean my pistols frequently and go light on the lube. I choose not to carry an extra magazine which, here again, is a personal choice based solely on the fact that I don't want the extra weight. There are many fine holsters posted here and elsewhere online that probably don't weigh enough to amount to anything, so check 'em out.

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    PL is absolutely right, it is a personal decision.

And some of them less than $15 to your door. Nearly all of them prevent the trigger from accidently being pulled whereas just throwing it in your pocket does not, which is a soapbox issue for me, hence the:
    [​IMG]

But it is not as important for others.

-Scott

11. powwowell

powwowell New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I ordered the Pocket Pal because of adamsesq previous positive posts of this pocket holster. It is everything he says it is. Plus + a bunch. The web site also has a wallet holster that I think I might try.

Larry

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    IMO, any good holster is worth the weight it adds.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    The only reason I carry the 3AT is my concern over size and weight, I'm a gal in tight jeans, and compact/lightweight are of primary concern. That said, I carry in a K&D 2 'n 1, which is probably way over on the big and heavy side. The confidence I get from perfect positioning and zero printing outweigh the weight issue for me (and I wasn't sure that would be the case when the holster was first ordered).