Wolf FMJ 380

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by praetorian, Oct 30, 2007.

1. praetorian

praetorian New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Alrighty i was looking at picking some of this stuff up. Its fairly cheap and i have had good experince with the Wolf ammo i have used. My only question is the velocity of this stuff.Thier site has the velocity listed at 1010fps, and it has a wieght of 91 grains. I was just wondering if this would be too hot for the P3at. Its not listed as +P wich the manual says the little pistol can handle but i figured i would ask...
    On a side note i did a search and the 380 dosent appear to be steel cased. But if it is why would this be a big no-no?

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    The 91gr Wolf .380 is indeed steel cased; it's just coated with something that makes it look brass-ish (a magnet still sticks to it). I bought two boxes the same time I got my P3-AT -- not yet knowing that shooting steel cased ammo in the gun is not advisable. Others can probably come along and fill you in better as to why, but as far as I know it just accelerates the wear on the gun in mainly two places: the chamber (because when it expands after firing, it is not as soft as brass and wears it more when being extracted), and the extractor (basically for the same reason).

3. praetorian

praetorian New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    huh then the whole shebang must be copper washed. Oh well if it just excelerates wear then ill probably try it. Honestly i dont think the wear would be an issue unless you were shooting 10K+ rounds. I thought it was something with the steel not expanding as much doing goofy stuff...

4. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    IIRC, the wolf gold is available in HP and brass cased.  Unless it is wolf GOLD it is steel cased.  Here are a couple results from a steel case search.

Here is a link to some of the Gold (however I believe the energy spec may be a bit off) :-/

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=26&products_id=91073

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Mfg Item Num: G380HP1
    Category: AMMO CENTERFIRE
    Caliber :380 ACP
    Bullet Type :Jacketed Hollow Point
    Bullet Weight :94 GR
    Muzzle Energy :1892 ft lbs
    Muzzle Velocity :952 fps
    Rounds/box :50 Rounds Per Box, 20 Boxes Per Case

5. praetorian

praetorian New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Well i was looking at the standard stuff becouse cheaperthandirt has a 1K round case for like $200. In small calibers i like to just carry fmj ammo as the little guys tend not expand much anyway and it looked like a good deal. But if theres questions about it ill probably just stock up on S&B, my 380 seems to like that stuff...

6. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    been said on this forum before, and i'll say it again. commie ammo for commie guns. don't shoot steel cased stuff in ANY KT. regardless.

7. In a collision of hard steel case - vs - soft steel breech face and slide etc...  Gun will lose!

Some Ktogers have seen dinged up breech faces as the result of steel cased rounds.  That could lead to problems.

8. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    I don't know about the breech face, but I believe the stuff should not be used in anything other than Eastern Bloc (commie) firearms for two primary reasons.

The steel case expands, but does not contract like brass. That could very well lead to extraction problems just by itself. The other issue is the extractor itself. Russian made or designed firearms generally have a HUGE steel extractor what would probably pull your teeth without much trouble! The smaller American or European designed extractors are just not designed to pull the steel cased stuff out of the chamber.

Secondarily, the Wolf factory or other Russian manufacturers do not have the same level of quality control as other ammo makers. Based on informal reports in other forums, there is a higher rate of failure/problems with the stuff in general. For this reason alone it would not be wise to use it for self-defense. It also tends to be dirtier than other ammo.

Some folks use it and get insulted when someone implies that it can cause problems, but certainly in this little firearm with rather close tolerances it is not a wise choice. Use it if you want, but be forewarned that it could cause problems.