Wolf ammo for bulk .380

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by STLPOLICE, Mar 31, 2008.

1. STLPOLICE

STLPOLICE New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Now I've heard mixed reports on wolf ammo. But with the rising costs of ammo, wolf .380 is still cheap. Has anyone had any damaged barells with wolf? I shoot wolf through my .223 and never had a problem.

2. rover

rover New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    I think Wolf get's its bad rap becasue it's a steel case versus brass. Steel-on-steel is definately prone to wear more than brass-on-steel, but the question is "how much would you have to shoot to make a difference?". I shoot Wolf through my Makarov and CZ82 and find it adequately accurate, a littl on the hot side and pretty dirty, but I've never had a problem. I suppose being a victem of OPO (other people's opinions) I stick to the American or Czech (S&B) made .380 when dragging out the PPK or even Kel Tecs. I have .380 dies and lots of brass and may start reloading again to save money, but .380 is a pain to reload and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone not already set up for rolling their own.

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I don't use steel case ammo myself but from what I've read on the topic.

Steel cases are often lacquered and as the barrel heats up the lacquer will transfer from the case to the barrel leading to sticktion or even an outright freeze up in extreme cases.

The mildest manifestation of a sticktion problem is weak ejections leading to FTF(eed)s then torn case rims and FTEs and ultimately the potential for KaBoom

4. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Wolf is the only fmj ammo that won't feed in my P3at. :-[

5. NO WOLF STEEL CASE FOR ME! Reasons already posted above.

BUT... With these lil guns....I do not shoot them much after the initial break in.

Maybe 2-3 mags per month at most.

My typical range day use of the 3AT?.. shoot the one I carry one time before dropping the mag. Slap in another mag of WWB and shoot it, then one more mag of the WWB.

Then clean, lube, function test with snap caps, then back in the holster or safe.

6. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    my p-3at did not like wolf, it was the only ammo that would FTE

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Kel-tec recommends factory brass-cased ammo. Me too. ;)