Wolf 380 Ammo?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bandito, May 8, 2010.

1. Bandito

Bandito Guest

Has anyone tried the Wolf 380 ammo? I just bought some from AIM. Good price for a 30 round box of ball.
    Thanks Bruce

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Unless it is Wolf Gold (brass cased), I would pass on any steel cased ammo. KT will tell you the same. These ultralight guns are not designed for that ammo. It may or may not function well.

3. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Years ago I tried some steel Wolf I thought was brass cased. Only ammo my old P3AT choked on. :-[

4. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Great advice. I've shot steel cased .380 in my P3AT in a pinch before when that was all I could find and it worked fine... but my P3AT seems to be more forgiving than most as it will eat any ammo I put through it.

5. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    At a guess, it would seem less likely that steel cased ammo would suffer a case rupture in the unsupported area.

That said, yeah, I know that the steel won't expand and seal in the chamber the way that brass does.  Still, I've seen enough people worried about case ruptures in the P3AT that it might be worth considering along that front.  

It should be noted that the manual which comes with the gun(s) say nothing about steel cased vs brass. However, the manual states to only use factory original ammunition, specifically barring reloads. It also states to never "store" the firearm with a round in the chamber. And the P32 manual specifically states on pp3, "The P-32 will accept +P ammuntion" when I could have sworn that there is no SAAMI rating for +P in .32ACP.

My point being that KT (and every other company on the face of the Earth) says a lot of things just for CYA.

<shrug>  Not my gun, not my call.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hmm.

The P-32 manual also states a limit of 200 foot pounds of energy, and no loading that I know of excepting maybe RCBD (271 ft. lbs.) That sort of makes more sense as the P3AT, a slighty beefed up version of the P-32 is rated at 250 ft. pounds of energy. The problem with steel other than the gas sealing is that it doesn't grab the chamber as well resulting in more energy going back into the slide, and higher cycling speeds, more wear, etc. Steel cases might be OK for ocassional practice, burt I wouldn't make a habit of shooting them from a P3AT.

Best Wishes:

7. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Alot of people feel that steel cases will wear/break the extractor. Personally, I wouldn't want to use steel case in this gun.

8. Snaz

Snaz New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    i have some wolf gold that i use when i carry, but at the range i use FMJ Lellier and bellot. it doesnt say if its steel cased or not, but it looks brass colored, does anyone know if this is ok to use?

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Wolf Gold is brass-cased. IIRC, it is made in the same Serbian factory where Prvi Partizan ammo is produced, as is Academy's store brand Monarch and one or two others. They are likely all about the same ammo.

10. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

My mother told me never to shoot commie ammo in non-commie guns!! The only pistol I shoot Wolf in is a Makarov.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I bought a box of Herter’s .380’s the other day. They have the Tula head stamp. Tula makes Wolf. The range report is BAD. Every round fed properly. Every round ejected properly. I tried to shoot 10 rounds, only 2 fired on the first try. The remainders need multiple strikes to fire. I took the gun apart and cleaned the firing pin, spring and firing pin slot. Then I oiled them. Next trip shooting I had the same exact results. For a comparison WW ball fired flawlessly.

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Which Herter's was that... brass or steel cased?

BTW, that stuff may be inconsistent. I've similar BAD reports but also reports of it working fine. :-/

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Steel case.

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I would not recommend any steel cased ammo in these ultralight weapons. Heavy com-block guns were designed to shoot steel cased ammo. Most full sized guns will handle it OK. Kel-tec pistols don't qualify. If asked, KT will advise against it. Anyway, it sounds like hard primers were the issue with that stuff.