Wipe-down after 50 rnds?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cls12vg30, May 5, 2011.

1. cls12vg30

cls12vg30 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    The only times I have ever experienced FTF's with my P3-AT have been at the range when I have put right around 50 rounds through it. Rounds will start hanging up on the dirty feed ramp. I always have a rag in my range bag, so I hold open the slide and quickly wipe the gunk off the feed ramp, and the gun is good to go for another 50 rounds. It happens pretty consistently.

Has anyone else had this experience? It's obviously not an issue for SD, my guns are carried clean and no SD situation is going to involve more than a mag's worth. I'm just curious. My new primary carry gun, a Taurus 709 Slim, behaves similarly, except it wants the feed ramp wiped down every 200 rounds, rather than 50.

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Yes, it is quite common and well known.
    They were never intended to be high volume range guns you can shoot all day without cleaning & lube.

These are tiny SD guns, with a very high power to weight ratio.
    Recoil spring power & length is marginal at best, and there is no room in the gun for a longer spring.

And there is more going on then just a dirty feed ramp!

50 rounds is about guaranteed to have blown off most of the lubricant from the slide rails, or else contaminated it with burned powder & dirt.

As a consequence, friction goes up, and reliability goes down.

Cleaning the feed ramp may keep it going longer.
    But that is only the tip of the iceberg of the real problem, and a band-aid fix until proper cleaning & lube are done again.

rc

3. cls12vg30

cls12vg30 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I figured, RC. All guns are immediately cleaned / lubed using CLP, patches, brush, Q-tips, and Bore-Snakes after a range session. It makes sense that the feed ramp would be the first and most likely place for the gathered crud to cause a problem.

4. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I 2nd everything RC says. From what I can tell he's probably forgotten more than most of us will ever know about guns. My experience is same as yours--after 50 rounds you better clean/lube.

5. cls12vg30

cls12vg30 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I was actually pretty impressed that the Taurus went about 200 before I had to wipe the ramp.

6. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Have you tried polishing the ramp? They can be kinda rough from the factory and it's really easy to polish. should look like a mirror...

7. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I think mines broke in now.
    I've got over 1500 rounds thru it and lost track.

The last time at the range, I put 4 boxes (200 rounds) thru it and never stopped to wipe it down or clean it.
    Not one missfire.

I'm assuming that my feed ramp is as smooth as it gets now.
    I know my hand was about as smooth as it gets too. ;D

8. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    The first time I shot mine I put 105 rounds through it. It was incredibly filthy inside when I fieldstripped it but that's not why I quit shooting more than 50 rounds at a time with it....

It's because I'm a wuss and the first joint on my trigger finger can't take more than 50 rounds of abuse...and neither can my palm.

I had an imprint of the backstrap of the P3AT on my palm for a day or so after this shoot.

9. inmate

inmate New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    the first time out I was able to put about 75 rounds through it, the last time was about 60 but at around 50 rounds I started getting FTF ,double feeds and FTE but only on the 2-3 round of the mag. After 2 mags of that I looked at the gun and realized the extractor power bar bolt had worked itself loose and was causing the problems. When I got home I took it down and cleaned the bolt and hole with alcohol and applied loctite(blue) and gave it a good cleaning but haven't got back to the range yet.
    I'm not sure if I can legitimately count those as failures since I think the fail was me.
    So far the fail rate is:
    P3AT=1
    The Kid=1
    we'll just call it even and go from there. I love this little gun!

10. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Haven't had it with my P3AT but I have seen it before with particularly dirty ammo. Dirty residue mixes with oil on the feed ramp and forms a paste. Using one of the thinner combo products(CLP, Outers Tri-care) for barrel lube may help.

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I would not recommend putting oil on the feed ramp anyway.

At most, use Rem Dry-Lube spray, or Paste Floor Wax.
    Dirt & powder fouling won't stick to either one.
    And it won't all blow off after the first few shots.

rc

12. cls12vg30

cls12vg30 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Like many others, I use CLP for cleaning and lubing. After the pistol is clean, I wipe away any deposits. My idea of a clean pistol is one that has no visible liquid anywhere, but still carries the scent of CLP.