Winter carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by timewrench, Jan 4, 2010.

1. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    Its hard enough to carry in the summer and have the pistol concealed and easy to get at. In the winter here in upstate New York, all bets are off. IWB holster no good under layers of clothes. I usually drop my CCW into my outer garment pocket. Good idea, but, ever tried to shoot a P3AT with gloves? I've got small hands, but with gloves, no way. Kind of leaves me "out in the cold"!

2. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I hate the cold !!!
    And it is very cold here, a high around 60 and it is coming down to 40 tonight, unreal ............... for South Florida.

Just teasing you, Timewrench, couldn't resist !

>drinks<

3. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I was going to suggest a shoulder slung PLR-16 under your topcoat but being its New York there might be some law against 30 round mags. The alternative might be to skip one glove and keep your hand in the pocket of your coat beside your Kel-Tec.

Wilson – who’s wondering if a hand warmer would get hot enough to set off ammo  :-/

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    5.11 jacket or slip your P3AT in a leather pocket holster from www.pocketholsters.com in your jacket pocket. That's what I do.

5. JB

JB Guest

This winter in East Tennessee is shaping up to be colder than usual - lows this week are predicted to be in the high teens/low twenties and the warmest predicted high is tomorrow, a balmy 35 while the forecast predicts that temps will not be above freezing for the rest of the week (all temps listed are fahrenheit, not that senseless centigrade crap.)  

It isn't too bad except when there is a wind blowing - even the slightest breeze will cut right through you.  Still, a thermal undershirt, regular shirt and a good, warm coat or jacket are generally enough to keep me warm (too warm, sometimes - my normal body temp is 99.9 degrees) without really hindering access to my carry weapon as whatever weapon is serving as primary is carried OWB whenever possible, summer or winter.  I don't generally button the overcoat/jacket and have practiced sweeping it back and presenting the weapon - just as I do with an unbuttoned cover shirt in the summer.  That said, my hands and especially fingers do get cold.  

This year, I found a pair of relatively inexpensive Wells Lamont work gloves at Walmart that seem to be the perfect solution.  They are not very bulky and are pretty flexible yet are still enough to keep my hands warm. The tips (as in just the distal joint sections) are cut out of the fingers.  With that setup, I can still access and control the trigger just as if I weren't wearing gloves.  In fact, they might even act similarly to shooting gloves and help with control and recovery.  The ones I have are like these:

http://www.wellslamont.com/product.php?productid=17&cat=7&page=1

6. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    Those hand warmers do get hot enough to cause blisters. I go through a couple of dozen each season hunting. I've always been cold. I've tried every trick in the book to stay comfortable. Doctor prescribed a calcium blocker,years ago. That got the blood circulating! After my heart attack, can't take them anymore. USAF sent me to Greenland years ago and I live in upstate NewYork. I think i see a pattern developing.

Tom

7. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I live in CO, and work in the mountains, so I've had to deal with this too. I've found a polypro liner glove works well. A quality liner glove is thick enough to provide some insulation, and tightly woven enough to have some wind resistance. I've been using Outdoor Researches PL 100 gloves. They are more than warm enough for daily wear, but also let you managed a small firearm like the P3.

There are plenty of similar liners made by other manufacturers as well. Just make sure that the liner is a 100 weight fleece. Too thin and your hands won't stay warm. Too thick and you won't be able to handle the gun.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_pl_100_gloves.html

8. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Thanks for the information Spikejerk. We live near enough to each other that we have some of the same issues regarding this subject.

wyo-man