Winchester Ranger 95gr SXT??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkboyer911, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rkboyer911

rkboyer911 New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Anyone shooting this round in your P3AT? I just had a box given to me and was wondering how they feed in the KT. My P3AT has been shot only 7 times. Wondering if I should do a fluff and buff on it before even trying to cycle these rounds. :-?

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I've run several boxes through mine with zero malfunctions.  Others have reported problems.  Each P3AT has its own personality.  Don't waste expensive self-defense rounds early on.  Let your first 200 be cheapo range ammo.  Once you can get 50 flawless rounds through your weapon (after that initial 200 to properly "season" the feed ramp and barrel), then the weapon is good-to-go as a carry gun, IMHO.  THEN break out your "good stuff" and make sure you can get as many flawless rounds through it in a row as you will be carrying on you (for example, if you plan to carry a fully loaded magazine plus one in the chamber, then make sure your weapon will fire 7 rounds in a row without an issue; if you plan of carrying this plus a spare magazine, then make sure your weapon will devour and dispatch 13 rounds in a row flawlessly, etc.).  If you try with the "good stuff" and have an issue, stop and get out 100 more range rounds.  Run those and then start anew with the "good stuff".

This is just my advice and my regular regimen for breaking in a new gun and deciding on new carry worthy ammo.  ;-)

3. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    +1 Very good advise.

4. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

You will need to try it out in your own gun. It may feed perfectly in every P3 out there except yours. You won't know until you shoot it.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    +1 Very good advise.
    [/quote]
    +2 Extremely good advice.

I would never carry a gun for SD that did not have at least 200 flawless rounds through it with range fodder and at least a flawless box of my SD ammo through it as well. A gun that isn't broken in is a gun that can get you killed in a SD situation. Just food foir thought.

6. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    +1 excellent advise, particularly with the price of SD ammo now - WOW :(

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thank you for the complimentary notes. My regimen used to include a full box of "The Good Stuff" through my carry weapon, but with the price (and availability) of ammunition these days, I have backed down to what I feel is sufficient. The OP may choose to run an entire box, it's entirely up to the individual. My regimen also used to include 500 rounds of "The Cheap Stuff" instead of the 200 I mention above, same reasons for the reduction here as with the SD ammo (cost & availability). Now, I am going to buy my Wife a P32 this week, and I will definitely run 500 rounds of "The Cheap Stuff" and a full box of "The Good Stuff" through that little puppy before she gets to leave the house with it. I'm from the South and she's my Lady so expense be damned ;). But I'm sure you need not be from the South to understand that.