Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wilson introduces the new 9mm pistol-caliber carbine (AR-style) and it takes standard pistol magazines.
And weighs as much as two SUB 2000s.
And costs twice as much.
And is as big as any AR15.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wake me when it's over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only reasons to care is that it's a Wilson Combat gun, it takes Glock mags, or it's an AR15. Overall, there already cheaper options for the latter reasons. Hence the Sub2k for Glock mags and some custom ARs from Lone Wolf and others. I understand that Wilson Combat makes some great pieces but I question if there is a market for premium 9mm semiauto carbines above $1500 when you can build one for almost half the cost with the parts you want.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Not sure what the point of it would be, as opposed to simply buying a MechTech upper conversion for a 1911. Heck, even a Hi-Point 995TS seems like a better deal, with about the same capacity, for a LOT less money.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Only reasons to care is that it's a Wilson Combat gun, it takes Glock mags, or it's an AR15. Overall, there already cheaper options for the latter reasons. Hence the Sub2k for Glock mags and some custom ARs from Lone Wolf and others. I understand that Wilson Combat makes some great pieces but I question if there is a market for premium 9mm semiauto carbines above $1500 when you can build one for almost half the cost with the parts you want.
The same goes for AR's in general. There are premium options available for those that want them but they DIY guys can probably do it cheaper to your own specs. It seems to me that the 9mm AR is supplanting the .22 as the non rifle caliber understudy. It makes sense since the difference in the cost of ammo has narrowed so much lately. I'm not currently in the market for a 9mm AR but I can definitely see why they have become such the hot item.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My point in posting it where I did was to point out the lengths that competitors will go to when somebody else is selling a gun they don't have. The pistol-caliber carbine (PCC) has exploded basically overnight, like it hit everybody all at the same time that 'Hey, that's a great idea!'. So Wilson comes up with this little AR-type carbine that doesn't even come close to being as cool as the SUB 2000. But this is not a 9mm AR15 - it looks similar. This is something different done in the attempt to make a lighter, handier PCC than a regular 9mm AR15. Which of course has already been done with the Kel Tec. Or even the High-Point. By the way, I looked at a High-Point at the gun show Sunday and it is a big, heavy monster compared to the Kel Tec. I think the SUB 2000 and some other KT guns will be considered legendary at some point.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/rifle-ar9-carbine.asp#.VvGCxc_2bmA

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Having owned a Kel-Tec S2K Gen2, I can tell you that while the S2K definitely has the cool factor, the Hi-Point is a bit more on the practical side. Controls are actually a bit easier, and that extra weight (and the springy stock pad) will help mitigate any recoil, whereas the S2K puts so much emphasis on its compactness and fold-ability that it sacrifices shooting comfort. Functionally, I figure they're pretty much on par with each other; the S2K obviously has more capacity and is more compact, while the Hi-Point is more comfortable to hold/operate/shoot and costs less. After realizing the fundamental silliness of a pistol caliber carbine, though - why not just use an AR or AK carbine or pistol and have more rounds in a more potent caliber for roughly the same size/weight? - I ditched my S2K. But that's a whole other thing... :)

I think PCC's are more appealing to folks who have a serious want/need to consolidate to just one or two calibers. To me, limiting yourself in caliber selection simply creates a vulnerability in that, once that particular ammo becomes scarce or runs dry from ready availability, you don't have many (if any) alternatives. For this reason, I'd rather have a firearm that shoots multiple calibers, or multiple firearms of varying calibers, rather than have all of my firearms that only shoot one or two common calibers. But again, others may have a specific want/need for that, so ... to each their own.

That said ... the Wilson just sounds like a silly "me too" gun that offers a high price, low capacity, and nothing innovative. Certainly no incentive at all to choose it over the numerous other alternatives already on the market by Kel-Tec, Hi-Point, Beretta, MechTech, Just Right Carbines, JDW, Kriss, Taurus, etc.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
But...But... But it's a Wilson. If you love Wilson pistols then this is a good fit. Just like all other brands that have a following. I thought that Italian Black Powder rifles were really nice until I had the chance to handle a Shiloh Sharps. They just don't compare. A Shiloh Sharps cost a lot more than the Italian rifles and the Italian rifle will shoot just about as good as a Shiloh. But when you lay them side by side you see that there is a difference in craftsmanship between the two guns. It's all in the eye of the beholder. What is one mans junk is another mans treasure. And it will always be like that.;););)

Steve

·
Registered
886 Posts
My point in posting it where I did was to point out the lengths that competitors will go to when somebody else is selling a gun they don't have. The pistol-caliber carbine (PCC) has exploded basically overnight, like it hit everybody all at the same time that 'Hey, that's a great idea!'. So Wilson comes up with this little AR-type carbine that doesn't even come close to being as cool as the SUB 2000. But this is not a 9mm AR15 - it looks similar. This is something different done in the attempt to make a lighter, handier PCC than a regular 9mm AR15. Which of course has already been done with the Kel Tec. Or even the High-Point. By the way, I looked at a High-Point at the gun show Sunday and it is a big, heavy monster compared to the Kel Tec. I think the SUB 2000 and some other KT guns will be considered legendary at some point.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/rifle-ar9-carbine.asp#.VvGCxc_2bmA
Why do you say its not a 9mm AR15? It sure seems like it is to me. I have a SUB2K and I really like it, but I would drop it in a heartbeat for a SIG MPX. The SIG offers training commonality with an AR15 in a more compact package with less recoil than the blow back guns. Its better than a 9mm AR15 and the SUB2K. Its only down fall to me is the price.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
To correct myself, capacity isn't the issue with the Wilson. For some bizarre reason, I was thinking it was one that took 1911 mags. So, scratch the capacity issue off my list of gripes. Still, two grand for a dedicated pistol-cal carbine is just nuts. The only thing I've seen more outlandishly priced than that was an 9mm belt-fed upper receiver that cost about two thousand dollars ... and that was JUST for the upper receiver. :eek:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well there is always a "premium" market for those that just have too much money. Do you get three or four times the gun over those for the common man? Depends on what's important and obviously the gun. For a non folding 9mm carbine the best bang for the buck is the Beretta Storm IMO. Granted it looks like a souvenir from the prop room of Planet of the Apes......but the beauty lies in what it does. Reasonably accurate, reliable and maintenance is about as easy as it gets. All that for $550 to $650....what's not to like?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.