Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Wonder how well the dog wears the mask. For most of the dogs I’ve seen, putting something over their mouth will paralyze them with “the world has ended” attitude or they do nothing but roll around trying to get it off.

I love the dog’s look into the camera!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Hey, Texohfive what is that weird look of a dog showing his teeth when he is being scolded? It's does not seem to be a vicious posture but never could figure it out.
I just added this article I found about it.https://www.animalwised.com/5-common-mistakes-you-make-when-scolding-a-dog-209.html#:~:text=If you find that your dog looks away,,sad, these are warning signs of excessive scolding.
The video creator has taught "Denver" this trick. its pretty obvious. He has many vids of "scolding" Denver. He goes up to the dogs to match the clean cookie cutter bite in the bag (obviously fake) to the teeth, like a dog is going to do that voluntarily. What is being said and what is actually going on here are totally different for the purposes of makin cute videos (notice the attention to the production). This is a lot more professional than America's Funniest Home Videos.
Yes, its adorable. But dog abuse it is not.
Its a lucky guy with some funny dogs who knows how to work them.

Reactions: fez

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Our dog Lilly is the best vacuum attack dog there is. Was trying for a pic but she is just to fast. LOL.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey, Texohfive what is that weird look of a dog showing his teeth when he is being scolded? It's does not seem to be a vicious posture but never could figure it out.
I just added this article I found about it.https://www.animalwised.com/5-common-mistakes-you-make-when-scolding-a-dog-209.html#:~:text=If you find that your dog looks away,,sad, these are warning signs of excessive scolding.
Many dogs do this naturally. My lab ( see avatar ) does this all the time when he gets playful attention. Most Dalmations I have known also do this when their owners speak to them in a playful voice. I call it "grinning". The dog knows the guy is playing with him or he wouldn't "grin" like that. Dogs learn quickly what "cute" behavior gets them favor with their 2 legged buddies. How many times have you seen a dog drop his head to his front paws, butt sticking up in the air, and look up at you with cute "puppy eyes". They learn what amuses their masters and those that grim will do it anytime they want to curry favor or as part of a play routine. The dog is not snarling. Just the opposite. You can find tons of grinning dogs on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I do not known if my gsd would protect me but I do know she would not let any one to come in the house or car , if some one was to attack me I know her support would be over as soon as my pistol came out she is afraid of it ( makes loud noise )

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
When I was in my teens we had a boxer/german shepherd mix. Only saw him in action once. It was in my dads car. Dad was in the driver seat. Buddy was in the passenger seat. I was in the back. My dads nephew saw my dads car and unexpectedly came over and started to lean in the drivers window. Buddy flew behind my father and almost got his nephew. Snarling, snapping. If my father didn't get hold of his chain and the nephew did not pull out as quick as he did I'm sure buddy would have flew out the window to continue the fight. Just missed latching onto his arm. Took a minute to calm him down. I'm thinking what the heck happened to nice friendly Buddy. Saw a side of him I never knew existed. He would bark and growl if someone came to the door but once he saw we were ok with them he was friendly as heck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had three incidents in my life last 30 years where our family dogs protected the family and myself. First dog we had I purchased professional family protection training and dog from a trainer who was under contract for the cities canine officers. As you might guess the training is different but sometimes the fair similar in nature. The east German German Shepherd was living in our house with myself, my wife, and two girls. His temperment with the family was very laid-back. After his socialization with the family he was taken back to the trainers for six months of training. We were then brought back inside the facility to be trained ourselves. After our training and the dog’s, he had two sides to his personality. One for the family and one you did not want to meet. One command turned him on and one command turned him off. He saved my daughters from two teenage gang members who jumped our fence and we’re running at the daughters. Max met them halfway between the fence and my daughters. They turned around and jumped over the chain-link fence. Approximately a year later we moved to a different state and a smaller town. We moved into a Victorian era house that was built in 1900s early when they still use carriages for transportation. So it had a carriage house on the property and we put in stay 10 foot chain-link Pen for when friends or family would visit. At about 10 PM Max and I went to take his evening walk around the premises. On the side of the carriage house were large thick bushes. He alerted to something in the bushes and would not allow me too go further. I switched him to protect. I told the person hiding in the bushes to come out and move along or I would send in the dog. He finally came out saying that he was collecting cans and looking for cans underneath the bushes. However, he did not have a sack or anything to store said cans.

Many years later Max died and my wife’s friend gave us a doberman puppy that was growing quite large and too big for her living situation. When we took him to the vet the vet congratulated us on our giant Doberman. Our vet at the time told us that he was only half grown was already exceeding the 60 to 80 pound weight of a normal Doberman pincer. He ended up weighing approximately 120 pounds and everybody who saw him thought we were starving him. You could see every muscle in his body. His previous owner had named him Sampson which fit quite well. There was little if any adipose tissue under his skin. He was not trained to protect. Our friends and family would bring a baggie with several strips of bacon and hide them somewhere on their person and if he found it he could have it’s contents. Then one day a man walked into the house. Family was out shopping so I left the front door unlocked last time for that. He was demanding money to help fix his car which had broken down in front of the house. Samson heard the voices and came running full bore at this invader. The guy literally jumped back through the door. To this day I’m not sure if the dog was protecting me or looking for bacon. Either way it had the desired effect.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts