Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't expect my dog(s) to protect me, I expect them to let me know something is amiss. At that point the big dog will get the gun and protect.
My feelings exactly. During the day she is always barking at someone passing by the front of our house. It's at night when things go bump in the night and we are sleeping she sends out a different signal. Maybe just a racoon in the yard or maybe a two legged predator. Flash light on my ar or 12ga will take it from there. My concern is that someone buys a Doberman or pitbull and thinks that's all it takes. As the trainer in the video explains it's more then that. Regardless of bloodline each dog has to be tested on it's own.

Reactions: FLT

·
Registered
835 Posts
Trained protection dogs require responsible ownership. Think of them as a loaded gun . That will go a long way in keeping them and you out of trouble. Ownership of such a loyal protector is a serious business, and not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Ramnob nailed it for me. I protect my dogs because they are members of my home. From fleas, heart worms, cars, and bumps in the night.

If something does need the big dog, I'd rather not have the canines interfering. Good luck on that one, but that's what I'd want.

lop

(not my dogs...)
dog50.png

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ramnob nailed it for me. I protect my dogs because they are members of my home. From fleas, heart worms, cars, and bumps in the night.

If something does need the big dog, I'd rather not have the canines interfering. Good luck on that one, but that's what I'd want.

lop

(not my dogs...)
View attachment 51594
They launching the assault! AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

The medical examiner stands up from the bloody remains, " Notice how they started at his feet. He couldn't run away with one one each ankle. Then as he lay screaming and thrashing, they worked their way up, slowly... inevitably ... to his crotch ... he used his last bullet on himself. Don't blame him. No man would want to live after that.... "

The horror ... the horror....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Having worked in and around both sides of the law for various reasons for much of my life... thieves are generally more afraid of little dogs. Big dogs unless specifically trained, and this is rare, tend to be easily dissuaded from harm with kind words and a dog treat or two. Little dogs for whatever reason are...loud, irritating and absolutely unaccepting of others.

My dogs regardless training are a supplement for cameras/alarms and fences *and lastly my own training and abilities*

Regardless size of dog, without training, they are worthless and just good for nothing. Train, work with and continually support their inbred specialties.

Buying a pit bull and not training it, will, ensure your dog is overly aggressive or a pansy. Just like buying a toy setter and expecting it to be a guard dog is...stupid.

Btw, poodles, can be amazing guard dogs

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back in the day I had a few friends on the job when I lived in the NY metro area. One of them knew the head of the K-9 unit. Some dogs were donated for police work. One weekend he invited me to show how they separated the wheat from the chaff. On an empty field that I think was on Staten Island they had one trainer with the dog and another about 10 yards away with a gun with blanks. They fired the gun and watched the reaction of the dog. Most dogs would back away or try to slink off. A very few became agitated and angry and tried to go at the one with the gun. That's the dog they wanted.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Back in the day I had a few friends on the job when I lived in the NY metro area. One of them knew the head of the K-9 unit. Some dogs were donated for police work. One weekend he invited me to show how they separated the wheat from the chaff. On an empty field that I think was on Staten Island they had one trainer with the dog and another about 10 yards away with a gun with blanks. They fired the gun and watched the reaction of the dog. Most dogs would back away or try to slink off. A very few became agitated and angry and tried to go at the one with the gun. That's the dog they wanted.
Yes!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I don't get is how the perp knows the dog will not attack? Is he just taking a chance and playing the percentages? Has he cased the joint? Is he stupid(as a lot are)? If I was a burglar and I see two Dobermans I'm looking for another house. LOL.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What I don't get is how the perp knows the dog will not attack? Is he just taking a chance and playing the percentages? Has he cased the joint? Is he stupid(as a lot are)? If I was a burglar and I see two Dobermans I'm looking for another house. LOL.
Pure percentages-

Most dogs don't attack, they bark they growl and they run

That said, casing is essential, a dog that doesn't bark much but shadows you...like a person that watches but doesn't mouth off...a bit more danger potential.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would like to be there if they hit the one in a million house that has attack dogs. Uh, whose arm does this belong to. LOL.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Little dogs are typically great 4 legged alarms. In many cases, an intruder will think twice about continuing entry into a residence when he hears the din of barking dogs knowing that the homeowner is now alerted to something. Large dogs are a crap shoot in terms of the protection level they provide. Unless you specifically train said large dog to defend, it depends wholly on the personality of the dog itself.

Case in point, I owned a Siberian Husky mix. I never trained him for protection and treated him like one of my kids. He was pampered and loved to pull, fetch, play, and run. I never thought of him as my first line of defense. I came home one day around lunch time, which was rare for me, and met a food delivery driver we had contracted to deliver food into our freezer in the garage. He asked what kind of dog I had. I told him and he said "I would never try to break into your house because that dog sounded like he was eating the door between us to try and get at me".

When we were home, he would accompany my wife or I to the door. I could see the change in his demeanor when the door first opened until he sensed it was okay. No training, just inborn instinct. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I had a 25 lb mixed breed that would not let the UPS driver make deliveries to my house. My dad had a 5 pound fiest/chihuahua mix that acted like he wanted to eat the garbage men. Then there is the 50 pound Golden Retriever we had that would bark at any one coming onto the property as he was running away to the field nest door.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pure percentages-

Most dogs don't attack, they bark they growl and they run

That said, casing is essential, a dog that doesn't bark much but shadows you...like a person that watches but doesn't mouth off...a bit more danger potential.
I don't know the people behind me very well but they have a pit bull. There is a stockade fence between us. Whenever I'm trimming along the fence he is there on the other side following along. He does get agitated sometimes and growls and bangs into the fence which is not too sturdy. They leave him out sometimes when they are out. I may have to start trimming with my 12ga slung over my shoulder. LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think mine would as he hates the sound of guns period. Not the firing of them (which any animal doesn’t like). He hates when you are messing with the slide or the charging handles. He will charge at you unless you say “okay I’m putting it away!” Weird as I never taught him anything, but I did bring him home from pound so maybe his previous owner did teach him something? Also if you start arguing with anyone at home he’ll stand between the argument and whom ever is the loudest he’ll gravitate to the other person who isn’t as loud and protect. He also lunges at you if your play fighting and protect the person he feels is being the aggressor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts