Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Am i the only one whos RFB was shipped from the factory without a birdcage or brake? Mine came stock with the thread protector....

Edit: @OP - If you take off your birdcage and measure, this will be the overall length with the thread protector (maybe + 1mm for end protection... Ill have to look at mine)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Am i the only one whos RFB was shipped from the factory without a birdcage or brake? Mine came stock with the thread protector....
@hotwings, you don't say what model of RFB you have. The 24in version comes with a thread protector. The 18in version comes with a birdcage flash suppressor.

I suppose it's also possible that some states do not allow a flash suppressor, and your rifle, regardless of barrel length was made to comply with such a rule.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
@hotwings, you don't say what model of RFB you have. The 24in version comes with a thread protector. The 18in version comes with a birdcage flash suppressor.

I suppose it's also possible that some states do not allow a flash suppressor, and your rifle, regardless of barrel length was made to comply with such a rule.
Or was fit that way so as not to have too many evil looking accessories and thus make a prohibited list?

·
Registered
113 Posts
As long as it's shorter than with the birdcage, I'll be happy. Funny how a lot of sbr's are over 26".

Not really strange at all. The legal requirements for a rifle is two part, 1) a minimum 26" OAL and 2) minimum 16" barrel. If you shorten the OAL but not the barrel you haven't made an SBR, just an illegal rifle. If you shorten the barrel to less than 16" you have created an SBR (short barreled rifle) regardless of the OAL. The only question is did you do that with or without an approved Form1

·
Registered
61 Posts
The thread protector took about an inch off. So it's just at or right under 27".

So no need for any forms.
The rifles Kel-Tec distributes meet the requirements of a legal rifle without anything attached to the threaded muzzle. It doesn't matter that you removed the flash hider, it doesn't change that fact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok just so we are all on the same page here,

The whole purpose of removing the flash hider and replacing it with the thread protector was to make the OAL shorter than the OAL with the flash hider.

By using the thread protector I have made this rifle as short as I can.

is it a big difference?

Nope. But it's shorter.

Still not as short as a ps90 with a 16" barrel which is just at 26" but for a 7.62x51 ,it's nice and tiny.

No need for a SBR when you have a RFB : -)

And that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
By using the thread protector I have made this rifle as short as I can.
If that was the entire point of this exercise, then you aren't done yet :)

You can get it shorter by removing the rubber butt pad. And then more shorter by trimming the barrel just to the point that the AOL is still 26in+.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.