Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Will Kel-Tec ever change the Design on the CP 33 magazines ?

6K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  SunFun48 
#1 ·
Will Kel-Tec ever change the magazine style for the CP33 ? I know a lot of owners of this pistol have had issues with the functioning of the magazine but have been able to work on the pistol themselves and finesse the magazine to work. Ether by using different ammo , polishing feed ramps using different techniques on loading ammo , etc. Just seems to me they would be better off to start over and do re-engineering of the magazine.
I would think their is some smart engineers that could come up with a great solution at a low cost , a lot cheaper than what is going on with return pistols and unhappy buyers. I am a new owner of a P17 and it runs like a sewing machine with all kinds of ammo and it’s a $200.00 gun. I was at a big gun show Saturday and I saw 6 different dealers with mint used CP33 pistols for sale for $450 - $475.00 each. Each dealers gun had between 2 and 3 magazines with the pistol. When you ask what the history of the gun is they look at their feet and mumble a answer , not sure.
2nd question I asked was wonder why 3 magazines man that’s a good deal for everything. more mumbled answers…..
I guess the first buyer bought more magazines to get pistol to work and failed and down the road the pistol went to a new buyer and give them the headache to get it to run. MD

#4 ·
Fair enough. It must be operator errors now.
Sounds like they are running great for owners now.
I sure seen a lot of used ones for sale at Gun show this weekend. Dicks sporting goods had them Saturday on sale for $399.00. Makes me want to go buy one and take a chance. I have been holding out for a Ruger single 6 Hunter model so I can put a scope on it but there is none in USA anyplace. Even gun broker don’t have them. MD

#5 ·
with standard mags, mine ran fine. Then I added the factory mag extensions. The follower would not stay level (not even pressure) with the original springs. Kel tec sent me new springs and all is well now. I currently have 6 mags. I went out the other night and blew thru 300 rounds without issue. Neighbors don’t know what to think of me.

#15 ·
Runs perfect, 1000 rounds… Always use speed loader, I use gun in Steel competition and has been 100 % reliable with any brand ammo .. I did polish barrel feed ramp .. 4-7 o’clock position with crytex rubber cone wheel fir about 30 seconds, when I first bought gun… no problems after that … I do clean it and mags after 200 rounds

#17 ·
I have had the CP33 for about a year. Shot about 750+ rounds. I installed the M*Carbo mag release last month and use the American Speed loader. I load 5-10 then tap the mag to seat the rims. This seems to work since I had no problem with 3 mags last week. I also use Thunderbolts. They are inexpensive and work. I did have a mag corner break off. Call KelTec they said to send it in. I did and received a replacement within a week. Great service! I also installed an inexpensive red dot by LV Life ($30) works great.

#18 ·
Be careful with tapping mags.

Maybe I was too energetic, but I did that to exactly one mag. I'll never do it again. Major problems with a properly loaded mag becoming much less than properly loaded. It was the pits. I load mags the same as you do and haven't tapped one since and haven't had issues.

#19 ·
Be careful with tapping mags.

Maybe I was too energetic, but I did that to exactly one mag. I'll never do it again. Major problems with a properly loaded mag becoming much less than properly loaded. It was the pits. I load mags the same as you do and haven't tapped one since and haven't had issues.
I tap mine in the palm of my hand. I'll break my hand before I break a magazine that way.

Reactions: BJK
#21 ·
I bought a makershot speedloader, one of the loaders that just pushes down the follower enough to seat in one cartridge, and it's absolute crap. I have no issues loading these magazines by hand, you just push down and forward and the cartridges seat without rimlock. I haven't had to fix any rimlocks since I started loading them by hand. When the magazines were new, it wasn't very easy, but once they're broken in I haven't had any issues and can just do it while im watching something else. Maybe it's because they're coated in that magtech grease they slather all of their bullets in.

#23 ·
I haven't used a speed loader yet for my CP33 or my CMR/PMR magazines. I find that the CP33 mags are easier to load Thant the CMR/PMR mags. I do have 8 CP mags and 8 CMR/PMR mags that I will load before going to the range.

If I were to buy a speed loader, it would most likely be the American Nested speed loader. A lot of people on this forum seem happy with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.