Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a photo of the 6 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense that I carry in my 1st magazine. I usually keep the pistol with one bullet in the chamber when I leave home. When I get back, I remove it and put it back on the top of my magazine. This has been sort of a ritual nearly every day of the week.

After about 2 months I have started to notice that the 1st round on top of my bullet stack seems seated deeper into the brass.

Will this keep on getting lower?
Is this dangerous?

I have no experience with reloading but I am worried about how it may affect pressure levels.

Attachments

·
Administrator
31,990 Posts
Yes. Repeatedly ejecting and reloading the same round can cause bullet setback. It could potentially lead to an over-pressured round. I would vary the procedure so that the same round is not used, and shoot your carry mag periodically to alleviate the potential problem.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Yes, constantly ejecting and rechambering a cartridge will often result in the bullet being "set back" in the case. This happens because, of course, the bullet is striking the feed ramp with some force. Not a problem normally, but when it is repeated many times, bullet set up results. This can be dangerous, since as the bullet is seated deeper in the case, pressures can/will rise and can become exceedingly high. Best to rotate chambered rounds, and not try to continually remove and rechamber a single round.

Jim R

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read about this sometime back and I'm glad that bullet setback seems easy to spot with critical defense.

I'll remember to shoot these when I hit the range w/c I do at least 2x a month.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who chambers & rotates ammo as often as I do. thank you guys!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Why not just keep it chambered?
I leave my carry gun loaded and chambered unless I'm going to the range or cleaning. I just lock it up in a small lock box when its not on me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ What he said. Why unload each night?
More to the point, why chamber the same round each time? I usually just keep 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber in order to lessen pressure on the mag spring because I can't actually envision a likely SD situation that would require 7 rounds, but I don't try to keep track of which round goes where. I only use the KelTec for deep CC, and I'm at home most of the time so I usually unload the magazine and clear the chamber when I return home where a 1911 .45 is my home defense gun backed up by a pump shotgun. Every so often at no particular time interval I fire the KT's carry rounds on my improvised backyard firing range and get another 6 out of the box. I handload almost all of the practice ammo I use in all my guns except the KT, and since it's not exactly what I would call fun to shoot I don't practice with it as often as I know I should.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
More to the point, why chamber the same round each time? I usually just keep 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber in order to lessen pressure on the mag spring because I can't actually envision a likely SD situation that would require 7 rounds, but I don't try to keep track of which round goes where. I only use the KelTec for deep CC, and I'm at home most of the time so I usually unload the magazine and clear the chamber when I return home where a 1911 .45 is my home defense gun backed up by a pump shotgun. Every so often at no particular time interval I fire the KT's carry rounds on my improvised backyard firing range and get another 6 out of the box...
pretty cool that we've got similarities

To clarify, I bring a total of 2 magazines, one in the gun and the spare is in a separate pocket. The magazines each have 6 rounds. When I leave for work I chamber one so I don't have to when I need to use it (heaven forbid). Its still 6 rounds, but the magazine is now not as compressed since the top one is now in the tube. I don't intentionally try to put the same round in there, it just so happened that my routine makes it so unconsciously.

Now that I know better, I'll just shoot my carry rounds more often :)

When I get home I put the round back into the magazine for the evening. The gun is so small, I sometimes keep it in my pocket while doing mundane chores. Since I'm at home, I feel that I don't need one in the chamber. For home defense, the P3AT buys time for me to reach the shotgun under my bed.

I have a Para P16.40 that I use for competition. This was my primary HD gun before the shotgun. Nowadays the 1911 stays in my "range bag" for bi-monthly IPSC events. Heck, this beefy thing used to be my CCW. I needed a man-bag to lug it around for about 2 years. lol

@CJP32 & haugrdr

Yep, I'm thinking about revising my routine. That is always worthwhile.

cheers folks

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
all of above but I clip on the small kydex trigger guard for safety (mic holster) and always chambered in kt380 or the p32. Sleep or awake. Wish I had shootin range in my backyard.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The wife and I only unload when we go to Gunshows, which is around 4 or 5 times a year but we still shoot up the carry ammo once a year and get new...just in case.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I try to clean my carry gun at least every 2-3 weeks, even if I haven't fired it. Only then do I more or less randomly rotate the ammo stack. I lock my carry guns up chambered and holstered when I need to put them away. I have never systematically rotated my ammo. I'm not sure it's really necessary.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I read a report of second shot misfeeds from rechambering the top two loads over and over.
I think getting a setback round in the mag would be worse than having one in the chamber.I think most pistols will handle shooting a setback round but not feed one.

After i read that i always chamber the same round, But i check it everytime i unload to clean. And shoot it pretty often and start out with a new one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
To all who chimed in that seem to know about this kind of thing, would you think that the cartridge in question is safe to shoot? It stands to reason that it is surely overpressure. Is it not enough to worry about or should he discard it? Just want to know for my own benefit.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
To all who chimed in that seem to know about this kind of thing, would you think that the cartridge in question is safe to shoot? It stands to reason that it is surely overpressure. Is it not enough to worry about or should he discard it? Just want to know for my own benefit.
When in doubt, throw it out.

Here's how the decision goes: You're thinking of shooting it at the range just to burn it off and cycle through your carry ammo.

There's no value in the round you're shooting, except the fact that shooting it makes room for a new, safe round in the magazine. Benefit of shooting over discarding ? None. The fact that it's an expensive $1 round is meaningless, since whether you shoot it or toss it, it's gone.

The round in question shows setback, possibly to the point of creating an unsafe overpressure situation. The risk ? Maybe blowing up the gun. Maybe so bad you hurt your hand or some other body part you're particularly attached to.

The risk of shooting, versus the benefit of shooting it ? All risk, no reward, because you can get the same benefit from tossing it in the dud box at the range. (Or pull the bullet if you have a puller).

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Yeah don't shoot a setback round, i toss mine in the junk or range pickups container. Will pull the bullets and salvage the brass.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If it were mine I would shoot it. I have reloaded and depending how the die was set the length can vary. If it was pushed past the crimp ring I would worry.
But that is just me and I am not even close to being an expert.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Remember when you re-chamber or load a round, you do not have to load it from the magazine. Nor do you have to let the slide slam it home. You can gently pull the side back, put a round in the chamber, and ease the slide home. You can then put the magazine in.

I do not see the point of loading only six and not going with 6 in mag, one in the pipe. Better to have it and not need it.

On carrying without one in the chamber. Great if you see the need to use it coming... But if you see it coming, then why not get the heck out of the way, so to say. I thought the idea of caring locked and loaded was when you needed it you had it and when seconds count you do not need to take the time to recall if you need to chamber or not. Especially if at times you carry chambered. Other times not.

Just my personal opinion for what ever it is worth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts