Wife broke het P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Ulmus, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Ulmus

Ulmus New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    My wife was firing her P3 today at the range when on the third or fourth set, her slide froze!

The gun had fired all six rounds, but wouldn't eject the last round. I ended up field stripping the gun and sliding the barrel through the front of the slide to release the empty brass. When I put it back together, I couldn't get the top assembly to slide back onto the frame. I looked and noticed that what I think is either the hammer block or the hammer was stuck in the forward position. I pulled it back and was able to slide the top assembly back onto the frame.

We did not fire the gun afterwards.

I'm concerned that we may have broken the hammer block spring. Is there a way to tell with out pulling the trigger? Would a single "Dry fire" cause more damage or should I just send it in?

Thanks for any help.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    IF, the trigger was pulled on that spent casing, then the hammer would be dropped when you disassembled.

NORMALLY the slide should be racked, thus reseting the hammer before disassebly.

The slide will NOT go back on with the hammer dropped. with out the slide it goes foward a little more, then the firing pin prevents it from being reset if you try to put the slide back to normal

Dry firing with the slide on should not be a problem. If you have a bic type pin with a solid flat end, you can put that into the barrel and let the firing pin hit it.

With the slide off, I use my thumb to prevent the hammer from slamming the frame. You can thumb it to reset, then verify trigger pull will draw the hammer back and then release it (again use thumb to prevent it from slamming frame)

Now Why did it not eject the last round is still a question.

Are you saying with a spent round in the chamber you could not pull the slide back at all, or did it go back 1/8" then freeze up

3. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    It sounds like the slide didn't cycle. Not sure how that is possible though other than a squib round. If the slide had cycled even a little the hammer should have reset on the hammer block, about 1/4 inch is all that is needed.

Please take the slide back off and ensure there is nothing stuck in the barrel.

While you have the slide off, use your thumb to cushion the hammer fall, and pull the trigger. You can do this as much as you want, all you have to do is push the hammer back again till it resets on the hammer block, then you can do it again. Since it reset for you when you but the slide back on, you should be ok.

4. Ulmus

Ulmus New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I did what you suggested and field stripped the whole gun. The Barrel is empty (except for "dirt") so nothing is stuck in it. I put my finger in the frame to cushion the hammer (a good little thump there) and it worked fine. It reset ok as well. I did notice another problem. :-[ I think I lost her ejector (part 115) when I took the gun apart at the range. So now I have to get a new one. :(

I don't think that is what caused the problem. If it had been missing from the start, I don't think she could've fired 36 shots no problem. Could she? :-/

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, very often these will run OK without the ejector. The upcoming round usually will kick the empty out except for the last round which will sometimes not eject.

6. Ulmus

Ulmus New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Maybe that was it then.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    OK, ASSUMING
    the ejector was the reason the last spent case went back into the chamber and
    the trigger was pulled on that spet round.
    WHY
    couldn't you rack the slide to throw out the spent?

I just tried mine and there is a significant increase in the force to rack the slide with a spent case forced into chamber, but nothing a good grip couldn't over come. the only differance maybe was my chamber was clean during the try :-/

8. Ulmus

Ulmus New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I might need to grease the slide on it like I just did with my P-11. (It was so hard to pull of for cleaning that I had to bump it with my hand!)

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Also check for any raised metal on the aluminum frame

the corner opposite the ejector and the front ends. If the metal has "swollen" it will make it harder to move the slide. I just scrape mine down with knife, but carefull filling will do

10. Ulmus

Ulmus New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I called up Kel Tec and they are sending me a new ejector and extractor just to be safe! WOW!

I've been able to pull the slide multiple times with no problems (without the magazine in), but when I clean it, I'll check the frame and grease the groves on the slide.

Thanks for all the help!

Gene