Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a "last resort" type of gun. Let's say your AR got messed up somehow, and your normal sidearm was empty, and all the ammo you had left was for the rifle, this could save your life in more ways than one. You'd have to be desperate to shoot a rifle round out of something that small (call it RCP for short), but if your life was literally on the line, it may even be worth dislocating your thumb.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
... because 'Murica, that's why. A 'Murican cartridge fired out of a 'Murican-made single-shot derringer that makes an absurd amount of flash and noise with as little ballistic efficiency as possible.

It's kinda like the Harley Davidson of handguns. :D

(If I offended any hardcore HD fans, sorry ... blame Truly brand hard seltzer Wild Berry. :p )
Harley Davidson, the worlds most efficient method of converting gasoline to noise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got an article from the NRA today about a 45-70 snubby. I guess that would be just about the opposite of the Rhino where recoil is concerned
I think the fireball might go farther than the bullet. I can't see much velocity on that.

When that article was on NRA's Facebook page I asked if it could still be a stubby and got told "Yes, it is still a short barrel." OK, so the chamber is longer than the barrel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My favorite "weird" gun (at least what I own) is the Chiappa Rhino. A revolver that fires from the bottom chamber instead of the top, it puts the recoil straight back instead of over the top of your grip, making muzzle-flip virtually non-existent even with .357 Magnum and reducing discomfort. Even with the factory wood grips, my hands aren't sore at all after several cylinders full of .357 with it; using any conventional wheelgun, even with squishy rubber grips, I at least wanna take a break after a few cylinders' worth.

Additionally, when you cock the hammer for a single-action shot, the hammer doesn't stay back because, well ... it's not even a hammer, really. It's just a cocking device. You pull it back, the trigger stages rearward for a light, easy, short pull, and the "hammer" thingy goes forward when you let go of it. The internals of the Rhino are truly WEIRD. Scary Swiss watch type stuff that I'd NEVER wanna risk taking apart to service. But whatever's going on in there, it makes for a SUPER smooth and easy double-action pull with a VERY nice single-action pull. I've had a few pretty nice Smith & Wesson revolvers with triggers that didn't quite compare to this thing, and it's been by far the easiest-to-shoot-accurately wheelgun I've ever owned.

And, let's face it, the thing just looks all kinds of strange, which is the reason why you see them so often in sci-fi TV shows and movies, sometimes dressed up a bit, most notably in "Suicide Squad" and Netflix's "Altered Carbon" (and awesome show, BTW):

I actually own a Chiappa Rhino snubby. It is a pretty weird gun but when you shoot full house 357 loads out of it, you'll understand why. What I think is even weirder though are the Bond Arms bullpup 9mm pistols. I was considering buying one just for its weirdness.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Astra 600, 9mm. You thinking of the 400 largo?
Yes, the 600.

The only significant difference between the two is the chambering. I think the 400 is a tad shorter.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is that humor?

I'm talking about 9mm Largo in and my Astra 400.
I posted a picture of a 600. You said you had one but ammo was hard to find. I said mine was a 9mm 600. I asked if you were thinking about the 400 largo. You said yes the 600. The 600 is 9mm Luger, not 9mm largo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cant believe no one has brought up my #1 favorite weird gun...... The Incredible PMR 30....... C'mon, squeezing 30 rim-fire cartridges into a double stack magazine that will shoot from a 19.5 oz fully loaded pistol with a 4inch+ barrel that can put them into the same hole at 12 yards without a FTF?....... Oh, did I mention you can buy one for 320-350 dollars?!?!?!

41 - 60 of 85 Posts