Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's only like 100 bucks...
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!! You can fire this thing without the barrel being on! You can actually load a round and with nothing between your body and the inevitable shrapnel, you can actually detonate the cartridge!!!! Holy Mackeral!!!! Watch the video.

P.S. The demo of this insanity starts around 13:09 in the video

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Heres one that I own, that I like VERY much, but can't shoot.
Kentrek KBP-1
upload_2020-5-26_13-50-57.png

(pic lifted from gunauction. I will get mine up soon)

OK, so its a .22 Bullpup, whats so weird? For one, Its a Bullpup. Sure, from the Marlin 60 to the Ruger 1022. there has always been a BP kit for just about everything at one time or another. But This is remarkable in that its is designed ground up as a BP AND to take it to the next level, it has grip safety and downward ejection through the bottom of the stock.
With a 24" barrel, this would have been an excellent woods gun.
My example, #336 of 900, has the metal dovetail rail. I shot it a few times then the magazine broke. Apparently everyone's magazine broke and the KBP-1 was doomed after one year. Some say it failed because of the BP design. I call BS on that. This is such a neat rifle, I refuse to let it go. I might be able to get an Armscor mod. 20P magazine to work if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another stroke of firearm oddity/1980's insanity,
the Calico
upload_2020-5-26_14-26-37.png

If you are a gun hater, or look for guns to hate, this one is your baby.
100 rounds of pew-pew was so crazy it was banned.
And to think the insanity didn't stop with .22. Nope, these were made in 9mm (the photo) with, again, downward ejection. The 9mm held 50.
If you sold one of these and didn't get a grand for it, Sum Ting Wong!
upload_2020-5-26_14-39-55.png

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The late 19th century, coming out of the flint-lock and well into the percussion era, was a wonderful period of firearms development with the greatest variety of oddball designs.

I think mostly due to the level of milling machines and metals available to the inventor. When small manufacturers had access to the machinery, and the days of hand rolling out barrels and beating out every part were over, designs went from paper to machine, to the Sears catalog within weeks. Everybody was trying anything they could to out do the other guy's design even if it looked better in concept than it performed in reality.

From this period we got cane guns, palm guns, knife guns, combo guns like the LeMatt, multi-barreled guns, pepperboxes, crows foots, rocket bullets, every manner of concealable gun. It only slowed down partly due to the standardization of cartridges, although cartridge domination was a big driver of design. Sadly many good gun designs didn't survive because the cartridge didn't succeed in the marketplace, like the pin fire.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Another stroke of firearm oddity/1980's insanity,
the Calico

The 9mm held 50.
There was a 100-round 9mm magazine too, it made the handgun part look like a carry handle strapped to the side of a giant canister, not even a firearm at that point. Of all things it was someone I knew in California 10+ years ago that has (had?) one, no idea where they are now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
IMG_0293.jpeg
This one has to win the prize:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take that...smooth it out...and you have the only gun that was made in my hometown Torrance, CA.
The COP
I remember the COP! A 4 barrel cluster with a rotating firing pin mechanism. Persephone in "The Matrix" movies drew one and killed a werewolf NPC at The Carolingian's nightclub in order to help Neo find the Keymaker!

·
Registered
158 Posts
View attachment 48992
This one has to win the prize:
After watching some videos of the Thunderstruck S333, I actually think the concept has some merit. If the 2 shots with each pull of the trigger were space apart appropriately, that could put some real damage on target.

However, the execution of the concept needs to be a lot better what this pistol can deliver and thats for sure!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here is one. I actually like the idea but i believe its ammo sensitive...
Bond Arms "Bullpup 9"
Always wanted one of those, but could never afford it! The weird gun I COULD afford, that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, is one of Mr. Kellgren's designs, the Grendel P10: a semi-auto .380 with a fixed (non-detachable) magazine. If you've never seen one, they load through the top with the slide locked back, pushing single rounds down into the mag, or loading 10 at a time using AR15/M16 stripper clips; picture most versions of the old 'broom handle' Mauser. I like it a lot (it's reliable, AND fun to shoot) - although you almost need to be an athlete and/or a contortionist to field strip the P10 for cleaning. I figure, when "The Gun Ban Political Party" bans all firearms with detachable magazines, and all revolvers that hold more than four rounds, I'll be sittin' pretty!

;>)

·
Registered
124 Posts
How about this one: A Pack Rifle from MVMW in Logan, Utah. It is a 22 LR single shot rifle with a carbon fiber barrel that converts to a fishing pole. The rod telescopes out of the tube that acts as the buttstock. The entire gun weighs 16 ounces without the scope.
Could be handy in a Jeep!

·
Registered
21 Posts
What qualifies as weird?
An idea that was so out of the mainstream that it never caught on?
Something unconventional that is successful today? Barely?
An old idea that is new again?
Failed prototypes and bad military weapons?

What is your fav weird gun?
Even better if you own it.
Pictures would be nice.
I just ask for one rule, this is not a "bad gun" thread. Weird is not always bad.
Thanks.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts