Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What qualifies as weird?
An idea that was so out of the mainstream that it never caught on?
Something unconventional that is successful today? Barely?
An old idea that is new again?
Failed prototypes and bad military weapons?

What is your fav weird gun?
Even better if you own it.
Pictures would be nice.
I just ask for one rule, this is not a "bad gun" thread. Weird is not always bad.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
My favorite "weird" gun (at least what I own) is the Chiappa Rhino. A revolver that fires from the bottom chamber instead of the top, it puts the recoil straight back instead of over the top of your grip, making muzzle-flip virtually non-existent even with .357 Magnum and reducing discomfort. Even with the factory wood grips, my hands aren't sore at all after several cylinders full of .357 with it; using any conventional wheelgun, even with squishy rubber grips, I at least wanna take a break after a few cylinders' worth.

Additionally, when you cock the hammer for a single-action shot, the hammer doesn't stay back because, well ... it's not even a hammer, really. It's just a cocking device. You pull it back, the trigger stages rearward for a light, easy, short pull, and the "hammer" thingy goes forward when you let go of it. The internals of the Rhino are truly WEIRD. Scary Swiss watch type stuff that I'd NEVER wanna risk taking apart to service. But whatever's going on in there, it makes for a SUPER smooth and easy double-action pull with a VERY nice single-action pull. I've had a few pretty nice Smith & Wesson revolvers with triggers that didn't quite compare to this thing, and it's been by far the easiest-to-shoot-accurately wheelgun I've ever owned.

And, let's face it, the thing just looks all kinds of strange, which is the reason why you see them so often in sci-fi TV shows and movies, sometimes dressed up a bit, most notably in "Suicide Squad" and Netflix's "Altered Carbon" (and awesome show, BTW):

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought that one would come up come up quickly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Then again if we weren't on a KelTec forum this might be easier. Heck a HiPoint even looks normal to me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Webley Fosbery automatic revolver

Semmerling LM4 .45 acp manual automatic (the slide is manually slid forward to eject and feed - real daredevils could hold their thumb on top of the slide so recoil would enable this manually operated .45 shoot as fast as an automatic). I have handled one of these:

Evans New Model lever action rifle. This odd lever action had 4 magazine tubes contained in a long cylinder inside the stock with an Archimedes type auger mechanism that allowed it to hold, chamber, and fire 34 rounds of .44 Evans Short cartridges. Talk about your 1873 era firepower!:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Merwin & Hulbert revolver. I always wanted one of these but they were too expensive:

Liberator FP-45. Cheapest piece of crap ever made in .45 acp. Genuine piece of history though:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gyrojet Rocket Pistol and Carbine. When you pull the trigger, the "cartridge", a small rocket of .45 caliber, is slammed backward into a fixed firing pin to ignite the rocket. It exits the muzzle rather slowly and picks up speed as it flies downrange - no recoil, no empty brass to eject. I picked a video of the carbine because it shows it actually being fired:

Dardick Model 1500 magazine fed, auto-ejecting, revolver. I wanted one of these as a kid:

Dardick vs Gyrojet:

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I would mention the ZIP22, but that thing was always such a POS from the get-go that it doesn't even deserve mention, really, beyond being a funky-looking firearm designed for space alien hands. :confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would mention the ZIP22, but that thing was always such a POS from the get-go that it doesn't even deserve mention, really, beyond being a funky-looking firearm designed for space alien hands. :confused:
Boy, in spite of my fascination with out-of-the-ordinary designs (some say I have psycho-sickness) I'd never heard of this one. I looked it up and was astounded that this.... thing ....was made by United States Fire Arms. USFA made some of the finest top-end single actions ever, and they came up with this? I will quote one of the comments in a review of the ZIP22:

"The Zip22 is not intended to be a functioning firearm. It is a conversation piece, designed to provoke amusing banter among gun enthusiasts. It’s the grown-up equivalent of the joke shop rubber snake or plastic dog turd you had as a kid."

Geez....

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
... because 'Murica, that's why. A 'Murican cartridge fired out of a 'Murican-made single-shot derringer that makes an absurd amount of flash and noise with as little ballistic efficiency as possible.

It's kinda like the Harley Davidson of handguns. :D

(If I offended any hardcore HD fans, sorry ... blame Truly brand hard seltzer Wild Berry. :p )

·
Registered
90 Posts
... because 'Murica, that's why. A 'Murican cartridge fired out of a 'Murican-made single-shot derringer that makes an absurd amount of flash and noise with as little ballistic efficiency as possible.

It's kinda like the Harley Davidson of handguns. :D

(If I offended any hardcore HD fans, sorry ... blame Truly brand hard seltzer Wild Berry. :p )

Agreed!

Funny the ad shows it as semi-automatic :) and it's basically a derringer that holds one round

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I thought the zip22 was meant to be hung on a rifle's rail as an emergency backup. Which is a decent idea, but it was a poor implementation if it was ever meant to be anything but a movie prop.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Heizer PAR1 in 7.62X39 being fired:

upload_2020-5-23_15-48-52.png

Heizer PAR1 in .223 rem being fired:

upload_2020-5-23_15-51-18.png

Where can I sign up to enjoy that level of muzzle blast and flash?!?

Not surprising, in the ballistics gel test in the above video every shot of 7.62X39 seized the gun up and had to be pounded open with a hammer and brass punch.

:gaah:

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Weird? How me?

I have several guns. I don't have many of the standard guns. I do have many A-typical guns.

So, I've got a nice .44 mag. But who doesn't? I've got them in 6.5, 7.5, and 8 inch pipes. Big deal. I've also got them in 2 inch and 20 inch. Weird? No. Amazing? Again, no. A-typical? I think so.

Again, .357. Who doesn't have a few? Again, I've got them in 2 to 20 inches.

.45? Yeah, I've a 1911. Nice gun. I like it. But I also have a .45 (replica by Uberti) Colt Walker. Great gun. Fantastic trigger. It (the original that costs over 100k, and tends to blow up) was the strongest hand gun in the world for 88 years. Is still the strongest hand gun ever issued by the US gov to it's soldiers. I've got a lot of guns with really nice triggers. My Uberti Walker is one of my best.
.45 colt? Yeah, got another Uberti. Very fine gun. Not the peacemaker, the Schofield. Ever shoot one? Swing by my place, I'll let you.
.45acp? Yeah, I've the 1911, but also the 1927. Sure, it has the 16 inch pipe and is only semi-auto, but it didn't cost what an automobile cost either. Dump a 100 round drum thru that and check out the grin-0-meter. Tell me what you find.
oh, while on the .45, ever shoot the Casull? I've got the Freedom Arms 7.5 incher, the T/C 10 inch single shot, and a Rossi 20 inch lever. Thumper, any way you work it.

Ever shoot a Free Pistol? I've got a nice Beeman .22 single shot. The worst part of this gun is the hand that holds it.

Um... I gots a Heritage Rough Rider.

.22 pump Remmy?

Yeah, I'm played out here. Holler if you want to shoot any of these.

Lop

1 - 20 of 85 Posts