Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...it can't be because of poor quality or performance. I hear too many P40 owners raving about them. I wish Kel-Tec still offered them.

Anyone know?

By the way, what do you P40 owners think of them? Do they have any downsides? How many rounds can the magazine fit?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Because some people aren't strong enough to shoot em!! :D

From what I have read it is basically my first sentence and those people kept sending perfectly functioning P40's back to Kel-Tec for warranty and nothing was needed...so....

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Try this link

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=p40+site%3Aktog.org&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f[/ame]

Most of your questions can be answered from these links, especially the first one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sure can not figure out what they quit making that fantastic pistol, P-40.  I just bought a second one that looks like it has never been fired.  The ONLY negative with ANY Kel-Tec is that the stock sights make them shoot low.
I keep both of mine clean and well lubed along with my daughters and they eat shells like candy.  
The P-40 does have more recoil then a P-11, but it still isn't that bad.  I have shot a lot of pistols that are a 1000 times harder on my hands when shooting.
I have always locked my wrists when shooting, so limp wrist and non ejection of spent shell is not a issue either.
My wish, they would make a P-45.  They couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with the demand they would have.  They have a great design with all there pistols and it wouldn't take much machining changes for them to start making the P-40 again along with the much needed P-45.   Kel-Tec, are you listening??

·
Administrator
31,920 Posts
dsw3131 said:
...it can't be because of poor quality or performance.  I hear too many P40 owners raving about them.  I wish Kel-Tec still offered them.

Anyone know?

By the way, what do you P40 owners think of them?  Do they have any downsides?  How many rounds can the magazine fit?

Yea, the P40/357sig (yes they made that too) is on the cutting edge of the size/weight/power ratio.  KT got back a lot of P40s for service that worked perfectly in the hands of the technician.  What are you going to do?...  Polish the gun up, send it back and tell the customer they are a wimp?   ;)

Among other things, I think the low price point attracted a lot of inexperienced shooters that simply could not shoot the little hand cannon without limpwristing it.  Others fired a mag or two and decided it was not for them.  We like those folks.  That's where we get ours.  :)  

To a lesser degree, the same is true today (limpwristing) for the PF9 and P3AT, and with some folks, even the P11 and P32.

The P40 mag holds 9 rounds and a +1 extension is available. Downsides? Nah, not as long as you learn to shoot it. So far as we know, KT still makes replacement parts and they are covered under the lifetime warranty. A P40 conversion for a P11 is a good way to go. You can do much of your practicing with the cheaper, tamer 9mm.  :cool:  

Reactions: Jake2670

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Why?  IMO too many warranty returns.  Nothing wrong with the guns just not the right technique.

That being said not all P40s are difficult to shoot.  My P40 conversion shoots perfectly when held in a loose one handed grip.

Now it HAS had the bejeezus polished out of it;

I am running Federal 135 Grain JHPs (not HydroShocks);

Have it well lubed with GunSLick grease on the rails;

And let the recoil pivot at my elbow instead of my wrist.

Stock KT recoil springs.   ;)

Wish they still made them.    :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok this is like droping a bomb on the minds of P40 owners. That being said I am not saying the guns are unfit, but you deserve to know everything there is to know about your gun. After a bad accident I found out the details.

The reason why the P40 was discontinued is a big Kel-tec hush hush project. The reason was known internally at kel tec, and they did not want it to get out. The solution was to cancel the P40, and the 357 sig that was a branch of the P40 project. The problem on the P40? the barrel was to thin near the end where the OD (outside diameter) is the smallest. There were some problems in house with the barrels while being machined due to the ultra thin section. On a P40 it is not uncommon to be able to see Very Very small distortions in the inside of a new barrel. Look inside near the end where the OD is the smallest. The distortions are very hard to see. Now the the story changes when you start firing the gun and exposing the barrel to 30,000 PSI (approx) pulses, while a bullet is tightly being forced down the pipe, lots of stress where there is not much metal. Think of the stretching force that the bullet places on the barrel, then add the pressure pushing the bullet. All this in an area where there isn't much metal. But wait Just how much is not much metal? the OD on most were .450" the ID (inside diameter) is about .396" now subtract the ID from the OD and divide by 2 to get the barrel thickness. That means the barrel is only about .027" of as a machinist would say 27 thousandths of an inch. To put it into perspective that is half the thickness of a penny, or roughly equivalent to 7sheets of paper, or 5 human hairs.

What does all of this mean, different things to different people. If you have a P40 break it down, and clean the OD, and ID of the barrel. Now look for distortions on the inside. Keltec will replace the barrel, with the same design if you request it, but that solves nothing.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
oakme2 said:
Ok this is like droping a bomb on the minds of P40 owners. That being said I am not saying the guns are unfit, but you deserve to know  everything there is to know about your gun. After a bad accident I found out the details.

The reason why the P40 was discontinued is a big Kel-tec hush hush project. The reason was known internally at kel tec, and they did not want it to get out. The solution was to cancel the P40, and the 357 sig that was a branch of the P40 project. The problem on the P40?  the barrel was to thin near the end where the OD (outside diameter) is the smallest. There were some problems in house with the barrels while being machined due to the ultra thin section. On a P40 it is not uncommon to be able to see Very Very small distortions in the inside of a new barrel. Look inside near the end where the OD is the smallest.  The distortions are very hard to see. Now the the story changes when you start firing the gun and exposing the barrel to 30,000 PSI (approx) pulses, while a bullet is tightly being forced down the pipe, lots of stress where there is not much metal.  Think of the stretching force that the bullet places on the barrel, then add the pressure pushing the bullet. All this in an area where there isn't much metal. But wait Just how much is not much metal? the OD on most were .450" the ID (inside diameter) is about .396" now subtract the ID from the OD and divide by 2 to get the barrel thickness. That means the barrel is only about .027" of as a machinist would say 27 thousandths of an inch.  To put it into perspective that is half the thickness of a penny, or roughly equivalent to 7sheets of paper, or 5 human hairs.

What does all of this mean, different things to different people. If you have a P40 break it down, and clean the OD, and ID of the barrel. Now look for distortions on the inside. Keltec will replace the barrel, with the same design if you request it, but that solves nothing.  
A clever story, but I have never seen a report of a P-40 failing at that particular point, and I have been reading on KTs for the better part of 5 years now.  Makes me kind of wonder how it could really be such a problem, ya know?  

And since the .357SIG has a significantly smaller ID, I see no reason how it would be affected.  

If I actually gave some credence to your little story I might even break out my calipers; but it is late.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
oakme2 said:
Ok this is like droping a bomb on the minds of P40 owners. That being said I am not saying the guns are unfit, but you deserve to know  everything there is to know about your gun. After a bad accident I found out the details.  
Scott D, is that you?

Like PG I have been "around" my fair share of P40s and am not aware of a single one I have ever seen nor heard of failing there. Seems to me that maybe we might have just seen a failure or two if there was some credence to this. Now that is obviously a thin area on the barrel but too thin? The only one I have ever seen with a barrel failure was a combination of drilling holes in it and a possible over loaded round.

Please share with us details of your "bad accident" including pictures etc. so we can become better educated and then maybe PG and I won't be able to say "never have" again.

-Scott

·
Registered
703 Posts
I purchased a P40 conversion kit for my P11 back around 1999 or 2000. I never had any misfeeds with it, but the recoil tore the skin off my right thumb knuckle. There was just too much recoil with the lightweight gun. I ended up selling the P40 kit and sticking with 9mm, which gave my hand no problems.

Darvell

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I sold my 40 cal conversion also. For one thing I could only shoot 2 mags at the range, the other was a, cracked developed on my frame at the same spot others have had it. I sent the frame to Keltec and they made me a new one. I'll stick with the 9MM
But I will say the whole time I shot it, it was flawless. never a burp. I put @ 250 rds through it before i sold it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
theduke said:
I sold my 40 cal conversion also.  For one thing I could only shoot 2 mags at the range, the other was a, cracked developed on my frame at the same spot others have had it.  I sent the frame to Keltec and they made me a new one. I'll stick with the 9MM
But I will say the whole time I shot it, it was flawless. never a burp.  I put @ 250 rds through it before i sold it.
Where does the frame crack?

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
mudman said:
[quote author=theduke link=1236524898/0#11 date=1236805218]I sold my 40 cal conversion also.  For one thing I could only shoot 2 mags at the range, the other was a, cracked developed on my frame at the same spot others have had it.  I sent the frame to Keltec and they made me a new one. I'll stick with the 9MM
But I will say the whole time I shot it, it was flawless. never a burp.  I put @ 250 rds through it before i sold it.
Where does the frame crack?[/quote]

Lots of info on this. I am running out the door but you can find it by using:

-Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pocket gun

You say clever story, not at all. Take any keltec 40 apart and measure the barrel thickness, it will be right at .027 inches. Now call any gunsmith and ask them to cut a barrel on a custom gun down to this extreme thin wall spec of .027. If he is not ignorant he will tell you no way, because it will be dangerous. Also if you calculate the internal pressure, and find the numbers to calculate the strength of the steel at this thickness like an engineer would, the numbers would tell you that this design is prone to fail. My gun blew the last bit of the barrel off. The barrel separated at the point where it is thin. If the management at Keltec was on the ball they would offer to buy all P40's back, and throw in a new P-11 to make them look good.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
oakme2 said:
Pocket gun

You say clever story, not at all. Take any keltec 40 apart and measure the barrel thickness, it will be right at .027 inches. Now call any gunsmith and ask them to cut a barrel on a custom gun down to this extreme thin wall spec of .027. If he is not ignorant he will tell you no way, because it will be dangerous.  Also if you calculate the internal pressure, and find the numbers to calculate the strength of the steel at this thickness like an engineer would, the numbers would tell you that this design is prone to fail.  My gun blew the last bit of the barrel off. The barrel separated at the point where it is thin. If the management at Keltec was on the ball they would offer to buy all P40's back, and throw in a new P-11 to make them look good.

Let's see, some pics please. Or is PG right an I just wasted my time asking?? I know if it happened an ya asked KT would have made it right ,they always have. Last year they replaced a P40 that was ported and not covered by any warranty because of porting w/ a P11. So I'm sure they would have no problem replacing a broken P 40 that just failed .  Well how bout them pics . . .

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
That's now 3 people asking for details, pics, reports etc.

Oak - look at it from our point of view. You have a total of 2 posts here, both making pretty serious allegations and neither with anything to back them up. We don't know you at all and your allegations go against the experience of many here. Some substantiation is definitely called for.

-Scott

·
Administrator
31,920 Posts
adamsesq said:
 Scott D, is that you?  
Nope. First thing we checked.  ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts