WHY to buy?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TechnoTherapist, Mar 24, 2009.

1. TechnoTherapist

TechnoTherapist New Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I already have a NAA Mini-Revolver in .22 Mag and a PF-9.

[​IMG]

I'm comfortable carrying both in my pockets, and normally DO have both in my pockets, but the PF9 is just a touch too thick for some of my dress pants.  The times when I wear those, I carry only the NAA Mini.

As you can see, getting a P3AT isn't a 'need', its more of a 'want'.  I'd like to have something to fill the nitch between the NAA Mini and the PF-9.  Other than just wanting one, can anyone help give me a few other reasons to help justify the purchase in my own head?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have minis as well and I sometimes carry the 22mag as a bug. IMO, there is a definite niche between those 2 guns. The 3AT is considerably more viable than the mini-revolver for SD and definately easier to carry/conceal than a PF9. Summer is coming - how's that for justification? ;)

3. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I have a p3at and a p11.
    I'm not sure of the size difference between the pf9 and the p3at.

I can tell ya that the p3at is one of the easiest guns to carry concealed in the front pocket.
    I just spent four days in Detoit for hockey tournaments (shopping) and carried my p3at everyday.
    Wife and kids had no idea that i had the gun until the ride home when i told the wife.
    I had debated taking the p11 with the belt clip, but knew it would be easier to hide the p3at.

I think i'd like the .380 over the .22 for selfdefense. 7 shots of .380 should get ya outa a situation.

If ya got the extra $300. go for it!!!
    [​IMG]

4. wcgoble

wcgoble Banned

Oct 23, 2007
    Because you are obviously showing the symptoms of wannanothergunitis.
    Get a P380, you don't have to show a justification!
    I'm going to buy a PF9 whenever I can find one.
    Yes, I do have a P380 and it is nothing to carry per the belt clip.
    I just wonder if the .380 is enough to stop two pit bulls.

5. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    I look at the P3AT as kinda like the old 41 Derringer of yesteryear except way better. 7 shots @ 140-200ft/lbs each, hides better than a wallet, more accurate than it should be, etc. I'll admit w/2 PF9s, I don't carry it as only gun much but if something happened to it, I'd get another real quick. :)

6. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    once the new administration is done banning all the scary looking assault-sniper-rifles they'll turn to the pocket-rocket-assasination-pistols. and then noone can make them anymore. and then you can decide which one you like the least and sell if for a filthy profit.

not saying this is gonna happen or endorsing the behavior but you wanted a justification :)

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I too have a NAA mini revolver in 22mag, a PF-9, a P3AT, and an LCP as carry guns. The P3AT is in my waste band now with the belt clip in place. With my +1 mag extension on both the P3AT and the LCP, they are both 8 shot guns. The NAA mini is only five and those five rounds are ineffective beyond five feet. There are times that I can't carry my PF-9 and one of the .380s. Other times I carry both .380s. At still other times I only have the P3AT on me due to wardrobe limitations. But I always have at least one of my .380s on me. My NAA stays in the safe as does my wife's NAA. Until I got the .380s the NAA was always in my pocket and my wife kept hers in her pocket while in college. She has traded her NAA for an XD SC 40S&W in a Galco purse. I swapped for my pocket .380s. Hands down a lot more gun for about the same weight---more shots, more energy, more effective. Those are my reasons for buying both .380s. I hope his helps, Cy.

8. JB

JB Guest

Just to stir the pot a little, have you also considered a P32 to fill the role between your other two?  Don't get me wrong, I like my P3AT and it isn't ever going anywhere, but when I saw it in the case at the GS was the first time I had even heard of Kel Tec (mine's a first gen and I've had it a few years.)  Knowing what I know now, if I didn't have the P3AT, I'd have to do some range comparisons with rental guns, etc. before picking one over the other and the little .32 just might get the nod.  As it is, I want to try one out and still may end up getting one in addtion to the P3AT.  Hey, there's an idea - you could get both!

Justification?  Well, here is one that is apropos to the current real world:  The more calibers you have the better chance of finding ammo for at least one of your carry guns in case of an ammo shortage.  Heck, I'm thinking of picking up an inexpensive .25 auto and maybe a Hi-Point .40 for just that reason - those wouldn't be my preferred 'go to' calibers and certainly wouldn't go into regular carry rotation but if no other ammo were available, it would be nice to have alternates (right now, the local Wally Worlds are pretty much fully stocked on WWB .25 auto, WWB .32acp and they even have a couple of different varieties of .40 S&W to choose from - including Remington UMC HP value packs.)

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Just measeured my 1st Gen. P-32 and 2nd Gen. P-3AT.

P-32 = .75"

P-3AT - .78"

I was surprised!
    The P-32 sure seems quite a bit slimmer.

10. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yooper,
    You pack light - and well. Your wardrobe may suffer, but, oh the peace of mind.

Nice suitcase sir.

11. Hunter11

Hunter11 Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Texas
    If you want it I say go get it, the only problem will be finding ammo for it. My wife wants to go shoot her LCP more but I told her we are down to 1 1/2 boxes and I can't find anymore right now. >:(

12. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Tech, you got the fever, and it ain't going away.  Just buy it and get it over with, of course this will only be a temporary fix, you know!!!

13. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

+1. You also have much faster follow up shots with a P3 than the SA .22 mini.

14. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I have several nice ccw's, including a PF9, but the P3AT is the one I carry about 80% of the time. It shoots well, the recoil isn't bad at all and I think the 380 is a good SD round. Plus everyone knows you can't own just one KT.

CJ