Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm in love with my PF9 and want to add another small Kel Tec to the family. For some reason I have an attraction to the P32 because I feel like the lower recoil would allow faster shots than the P3at. I keep getting caught up on the fact that they are essentially the same size however and the more powerful cartridge seems to make more sense for a defensive gun. Why did you get the P32 over the P3at?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a PF-9 and a Taurus TCP 380, so I decided to get a P32 to have.

I love the p32 so much because it is less weight and a great pocket pistol that it gets carried almost daily in a Nemesis Pocket Holster in my right front pocket no matter what.

Even when I carry the PF-9 in a OWB holster, the little P32 is in my pocket.
I feel lost without it.

Ron

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Simple decision: 6+1 of .380, or 7+1 of .32 ? Personal choice, and I'd rather have an extra round. It's not like you're choosing between .45 acp and .32 acp.

All other things being equal, all other things are equal in this case.

·
Registered
623 Posts
At the short distances that you would likely be shooting either of these guns for defense, the lower recoil of the .32 won't be a factor. You will either hit or miss based on your ability to draw and shoot each gun.

I like the higher ballistics of the .380. I can carry JHPs and figure that they will actually penetrate AND expand to a good degree. With the .32, most guys carry it with FMJs because they know it will NOT expand if they use JHPs.

I can put my P3AT in my back pocket and forget it is there because it feels like another wallet. Small, thin and light weight. I love it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I also choose the P-32 over P3AT due to the extra round in the P-32. The P-32 also has a slide lock after an empty mag and that is nice when practicing at the range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
7+1 vs. 6+1
Less recoil for faster follow-up shots
Ever so slightly smaller and lighter
Proven reliability
Power difference between .32 and .380 out of short barrels is slight at best

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
When I bought my 1st Gen. P32 the P3AT wasn't out yet.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
My wife, girlfriend at the time, got me the P32 before they made the P3at. I picked up a P3at a few years ago and I like them both but if I was going to di it again I would just stick with the P32.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have both and I'm not sure which I like the best . I guess it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other. ;) :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I first bought a P32 for my wife as she is somewhat recoil sensitive due to long time work related injuries in her hands. Though she shoots quite well with my Glock 19, she needed something smaller for her purse.

After buying one P32, I ended up buying another for myself.

Though I do like the .380, the .32 ACP has long been considered a tack driver in target pistols. The cartridge just seems to have better inherent accuracy compared to the .380 cartridge. As for stopping power, let's face it! At very close range it isn't going to make that much difference between .32 and .380. Shot placement is the important factor and having the extra round in the P32 is another!

If I need to carry something more and I'm still trying to stay compact, I'll carry the Glock 19. And if I want the max, with great stopping power and still have good concealment, I carry my Star PD in .45 ACP.

But, the P32 is still my choice for just everyday, knock-about concealed carry. It is highly controllable, has decent performance, and after firing hundreds of rounds through mine, it has proved to be extremely reliable!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies! I don't want to kid myself with the lack of recoil the .32 has, but after shooting my fathers LCP (the knockoff) the snapiness of it made it hard for me to get fast follow up shots. How much better is the P32's snapiness? I don't want to underestimate it and be disappointed with the purchase.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
I think it might be even less than 80%.

My last range session I ran 3 guns. My PF9 with Traction Grips and the Pinky extender no the mags, my P32 (one mag with +1 and a 10 round mag), and my wife's IJ 22Supershot.

I ran 4 mags of WWB through the PF9 and then ran ~30 rounds of PPU (Prvi Partizan) .32ACP through my P32.

While the PPU is supposed to be "hot" compared to U.S. ammo, it was actually quite pleasant to shoot. Felt even more pleasant to shoot than a lot of those pocket .22LRs. I'm sure a lot of that is the delayed blowback design of the P32 as opposed to simple straight blowback in the 22's. But, I mean, daggonit, I could have shot that P32 all day. Not so my PF9. I could have ran maybe as many as 8 mags through it, but I would have been unhappy by around mag 6.

I can't imagine that a stock P3AT is more pleasant to shoot than a grip-enhanced PF9, is it?

I mean, really, the P32 is the most pleasant pocket gun in any caliber that I've ever shot (though I admit to having a dearth of experience with .380ACP).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
322 Posts
7+1 vs. 6+1
Less recoil for faster follow-up shots
Ever so slightly smaller and lighter
Proven reliability
Power difference between .32 and .380 out of short barrels is slight at best
Having had both since day one when KT began making them. I agree with the above comments.Also I have all calibers of handgun. I prefer the .32acp. At the distances you need to and can legally use a SD weapon without landing in jail for a few years (8 to 15 feet at most) a .32 acp will do the job nicely if you can use it or any weapon correctly. What does it matter if you put a hole in there head or blow most of there head off. The hole works as well and doesn't make as much of a mess.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have 3 of the P-32 's Wife and daugther have latched on the 1st 2 I bought. I also have the P3AT I carry either I really think that if you were to use . The target wouldn't know the difference. Their is very little difference between the 2 rounds from these little pistols . 380 more recoil make you think badder pistol. FPS and FTLBS specs . Don't make a hoot in a real fight with this pocket pistols . Its bullet placement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I bought my P32, the P3AT didn't have the 9 round extended mag that it does now. I want as many rounds as I could get; the P32 was it. Now that the .380 high cap mag is available, I still wouldn't give up my P32 for a .380. Once you've had a P32, you love the it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reading about folks different idea of recoil, I got curious if anyone ever measured or calculated it. So I searched and found Genitron. Looking up the P32 and P3AT, they claim the P32 has 3.707 ft-lb recoil, and the P3AT has 7.787 ft-lb recoil. The P32 has half the recoil of the P3AT? Hard to believe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts