Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
174 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, it was that sight rail thing on top that made me run out and buy the first one I could find. I'm a sucker for "space guns". That being said, my KSG is just too dang heavy. And the KS7 holds 12 Aguilla mini-shells so... I'm digging it so far. Wish it had a forward sling swivel though.
This is how I did the sling:
Using QD swivel mlok sling mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sling... someone here drilled for a QD mount in the mag tube. I have parts on order. I like that installation. The rear will get my usual para cord loop through the provided slot. My sling has HK hooks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am crazy enough to have them both, KSG for me and KS7 for my wife. The reason is the weight. The full weight of KSG, 6.9lb + all the accessories + ammo will be almost 10lb. That's the weight for me for sure, but KS7, 5.9lb + few add-ons + ammo still less than 8lb. This is light enough for my wife to handle.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I would pick the 7 of the two -- seems like it would do all you needed in a compact, efficient package. It already offers the +3/4 tube extension which is a big selling point to me. If it were semi-auto I would already have one, but being a pump, I have not jumped on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not clear on why someone would want to buy a KS7 vs a KSG. Slave states usually don't restrict ammo capacity on pump shotguns, and the MSRP for the KS7, while less than the KSG, doesn't seem like enough to matter, unless you just want to spend less money. I see KSGs in stock for $800ish in my area, and they said the MSRP for the KS7 will be ~$500. $300 is a lot of money, for sure, but it seems a small price to pay to double onboard ammo capacity.

A KSG is kind of an expensive truck gun, but a KS7 might be more palatable as a truck gun. That's the only thing I can think of.
KS7 is lighter and narrower. For home defense, capacity is more than adequate with the KS7. Also, KS7 is ready to go right out of the box. So, even if you think the price difference is not significant, you will still have to purchase sights for the KSG.

·
Registered
345 Posts
KS7 is lighter and narrower. For home defense, capacity is more than adequate with the KS7. Also, KS7 is ready to go right out of the box. So, even if you think the price difference is not significant, you will still have to purchase sights for the KSG.
Also to be frank the dual-mag mechanism on the KSG is a massive PITA and a point of complexity. You simply won't need to fire that many rounds in a single instant without having 1-3 seconds to load another few in on a pump action, they're not mag-dumpers.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Dittos what's already been stated. I WAS seriously contemplating the short KSG (tactical?) that requires the $200 tax stamp and an extended time in ATF jail and that would have fixed some of the handling negatives. It sure was cute too. But it still had that mag selector switch and that just looked frail to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, it was that sight rail thing on top that made me run out and buy the first one I could find. I'm a sucker for "space guns". That being said, my KSG is just too dang heavy. And the KS7 holds 12 Aguilla mini-shells so... I'm digging it so far. Wish it had a forward sling swivel though.
It will cycle the Aquilla minis? Do you have to have that OpSol insert...or does that fit in the KS7? Please tell!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Kel-Tec shotguns "USUALLY" function well with mini-shells.....but NOT ALWAYS.

Individual guns may work 100%, some won't function with them at all, and some work perfectly until suddenly one time a shell flips backward and jams the gun.
This depends entirely on the individual gun and the ONLY way to know if a specific gun is good to go with mini-shells is to shoot enough without any problems that you are willing to trust it.

How many trouble free shells is needed to verify reliable operation depends on how willing you are to trust a certain number.
In other words......"How lucky do you feel."

·
Registered
861 Posts
I had one flip end for end and that told me that my KS7 was not going to see them again. That's what prompted me to start loading my own slightly longer versions (that's on hold at the moment).

·
Registered
335 Posts
A possibly more reliable substitute are the 2 1/4 inch loads as sold by among others Nobelsport of Italy.
I used some of these in my KSG and they performed well.

Based on my potential use of my KS7 as a defense gun, I figure that 7 rounds of standard 2 3/4 inch buckshot will be all I'd need, and I don't see the sense in taking chances with a non-standard shell like the 1 3/4 inch mini-shells.

Having more ammo in a gun is always nice, but it seems too many people take it to extremes that don't fit in the Real World.
I've seen people at the range with KSG's stuffed with mini-shells, extra ammo carried externally on both sides of the gun and even a sling carrying still more shells and so heavy you wonder how they can lift it.
They state that the gun is a home defense gun but if asked what potential threat they're facing that they'd need all that ammo, it becomes obvious that what they really want is a range toy to play with.
Nothing wrong with that, but a defense gun and a toy are not totally compatible purposes.

In my case I'm looking at the most likely situation of standing off one or two intruders for the 2 minutes it will take for the police to arrive, not spending 40 days fighting through Faluga.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts