Why should someone buy a KS7 instead of a KSG?

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by FXUccpazJFJXxZYs, Feb 16, 2019.

1. FXUccpazJFJXxZYs

FXUccpazJFJXxZYs Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I'm not clear on why someone would want to buy a KS7 vs a KSG. Slave states usually don't restrict ammo capacity on pump shotguns, and the MSRP for the KS7, while less than the KSG, doesn't seem like enough to matter, unless you just want to spend less money. I see KSGs in stock for $800ish in my area, and they said the MSRP for the KS7 will be ~$500. $300 is a lot of money, for sure, but it seems a small price to pay to double onboard ammo capacity.

A KSG is kind of an expensive truck gun, but a KS7 might be more palatable as a truck gun. That's the only thing I can think of.

2. MarkB1

MarkB1 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2015
    I found the KSG a little heavy and somewhat difficult to manipulate. I'm 73 and slightly handicapped. The KS7 should hit that sweet spot for me. That and the improved pump function works. Also, I'm left handed.

yakyak, 850sub and JLP like this.

3. rotorblade

rotorblade Member

Feb 16, 2019
    The reason I din't buy a KSG was they were heavy, chunky, and bulky, yet Very short.

The KS7 I am interested in because its thin and light, and looks cool. Looking cool is half the battle.

Thumper216, 850sub and JLP like this.
  4. Dezfan

Dezfan Active Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I’m all over the KS7.

Size, weight, and capacity are all more than acceptable.

The KSG is great, but I think the KS7 just hits the sweet spot for me.

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    if you want one for home defense and this is your home:
    skinny.jpg

; )
    lop

6. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    I didn't get excited about the ksg because I felt like it answered the question to a problem that didn't exist. That and the reality of first gen, extra moving parts made me feel like while it looked like a great concept and design, it was asking to create issues and potential failures. Flinging a whole bunch of 12 gauge buck shot and slugs requires a simple robust design. Kudos to keltec for thinking out side of the box, but I'm sure the third gen, will perform better than the initial. KS7 looks like the simplification of the design. Has my interest more than the 2 mag tube version.
    But seriously, if we're talking "tacticool" high capacity shotguns.... the ak variant saiga 12 gauge and their clones I feel like excel at this. I watched a guy at the range run 2 boxes of shells thru one. (Linyi Junxing Cheetah 12 guage?) He let me run one magazine of #4 thru it. VERY impressive. I'd throw $500 that way before I did towards a KSG. just my two cents...but also...I've no use for one of these stye guns until the zombie apocalypse occurs

7. Huy Tran

Huy Tran Member

Feb 24, 2019
    California Legal, lighter than KSG, improved mechanism.
    My only gripe with the KS7 that I got is that the sight feels a little too low kinda like how the sights on the Sub2000 are too low.

8. MarkB1

MarkB1 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2015
    You can always Pic Rail it ($30 from Kel-Tec) and use a red dot at a more comfortable height. Use the KSG rail.

Huy Tran likes this.
  9. Wizard_of_odd

Wizard_of_odd Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Reason for the KS7? For me, it would be the fact it packs nice and tight for hiking/camping and gives me all that I can ask out of my Remington 870 or Mossberg 590.

Yes the KSG does give one far better capacity, but if you are camping or hiking size and weight Vs. capability matters that's another MRE I could pack or a few more small tools to make the experience a bit more comfortable/make what I carry more versatile and viable.

Couple this with less moving parts and you have a surprisingly stout unique shotgun. Fully kitted out with light, sight, and sling the KS7 is a bit lighter than standard naked Remington 870 with a similar magazine size and the balance is far more practical for the shooter.

This means the wielder has a longer operation window before fatigue sets in, this REALLY makes the KS7 attractive to those into going into the wilderness, a longer operational window with less calorific burn rate goes a long way to increase user survivability/viability.

Outside of going into exotic materials such as carbon fiber replacing polymer and further lightening of the design ( which would dramatically increase the cost.), it's a fairly optimized shotgun for survival kits/ bugout bags.
    It also would fit well into motorcycle saddlebags or on an ATV rack.

Jimmy Hoffa, Sam The Eagle and MarkB1 like this.
  10. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Because my KSG wants a baby brother!

I'm waiting for Kel-Tec to make the KS35, with five tubular magazines on the sides and bottom of the barrel and a five position rotating cylinder for a magazine selector switch. Kel-Tec! Take my money! It should be able to run 60 of the minislugs. :tu: Good for zombies, alien xenomorphs, or velociraptors.

Jimmy Hoffa likes this.
  11. MadRonin

MadRonin Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Really? I like the sight on my KS7. My tune may change after I get it to the range this weekend.

12. Sam The Eagle

Sam The Eagle Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I have (well, had) both and sold the KSG last week in favor of KS7.

I did enjoy the KSG's capacity and heft, but... 1) KS7 is light as a feather and 2) points quickly/true without any other sighting device than the carry handle fiber optic.

Be warned, though, that it has pretty high perceived recoil impulse, so if you're allergic to kinetic energies against your body... this might not be a shotty for you--KSG has lower perceived recoil than KS7.

I can certainly see KSG used to calm down a prison riot, but at home I'm more into mini-shells and KS7. You get more than enough in the tube and mildly less barrier penetration with all the benefits of a quick and short bullpup 12g. Yet you can still shoot through a particleboard corner and the bad guy who never knew where the final blast came from...

Shortly put (pun intended): KS7 fits all parameters for the purposes I need shotgun firepower for. KSG loses just a hair, but enough that it had to go so I can mod my RDB a bit more...

13. bohica762

bohica762 Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I'm not gonna lie, it was that sight rail thing on top that made me run out and buy the first one I could find. I'm a sucker for "space guns". That being said, my KSG is just too dang heavy. And the KS7 holds 12 Aguilla mini-shells so... I'm digging it so far. Wish it had a forward sling swivel though.

dazed, Sam The Eagle and Liberty4Ever like this.
  14. Sam The Eagle

Apr 29, 2019
    I am with you. The sights are not "low" as much as they are different; i.e. you don't need to lower your dominant eye to the level of the rail, really. It hits dead on w/o utilizing the whatever "rear knob" there is. It is a point-n'-shoot big triangle system and might take a bit of getting use to. Then again, every new tool shoots different, so... not a big deal at all.

After few hundred shots and one trip to the warranty repair, I do have to say that KS7 needs a bit more fixing than KSG ever did. I have now had pretty much everything replaced except the part with a serial number and I still had an issue with the thin pin that keeps the shell tube lock functional (yes, the one that likes to tear your fingers apart when you load the tube). It can and have work itself off the side rail holes and at that point you are no longer getting shells out of the tube or it is very erratic. Once you thread lock the pint in place, things start running smooth.

All in all now I am super-happy with KS7 and see it as a formidable, fast, and capable home defense tool. Just think of it: 12+1 5/8oz mini-buck shot loads leaving the barrel at ~1,200fps... and the tool is 26" long weighing a tad more than a hummingbird...

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy Member

Jun 18, 2019
    This is a great thread and I think it has answered my questions. I have been looking at the KSG for years now and could never afford one. I just sold a couple of rifles that were just taking up space in my safe. My plans were to buy an RDB and a KSG. That was until I found the KS-7.

I had a stroke a few years ago and was left with some muscle weakness (I will never get that back) and I think the KSG would hinder that problem more so than the KS-7. The weight difference, although not that much, is when you factory in a muscle problem such as the one I am dealing with.

My questions, how bad is the recoil compared to say a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500? I am supposed to have neck surgery in the near future and it may be something that causes me to be limited on shooting a shotgun.

Has anyone used low recoil shells? Do they really reduce the recoil that much?

I keep seeing things about the mini shells. How many will the KS-7 hold? Do they run reliably too? That is a big draw to me. My Mossberg 500 will run them if I use an adaptor. My Remington 870 Police Magnum won't. That shotgun has been sold.

How many models are there of the KS-7? I emailed my local shop and he gave me a couple of prices and said it depends on what one I wanted. Maybe its what color I want. Black. Green. Tan. The price was $450 - $590.

How do I get an magazine tube extension? Its an option that I like but not sure one I would implement into using on the shotgun.

The reason for me buying the KS-7 over the KSG isn't just the weight and bulk of the shotgun. Its the price. I could buy two KS-7's and have one in my truck and one in my house. I like the idea of having more ammo on hand with just the flip of a switch but, if I need that many shells I am in more trouble than I can handle on my own.

I think the KSG is great for prison guards, police force and military use. It fits their rolls nicely. I think the KS-7 would fit that roll too, maybe a bit better. If our military would use the KS-7 for a breaching shotgun, it would be more than just a breaching shotgun. It would be a fighting shotgun. It would be a shotgun that they could carry with a rifle and not that much added weight. The shotguns they use now to breach are I'm guessing about the same weight if not a bit more.

Great thread and I look forward to reading more as I make my way to buying a KS-7 and an RDB.

16. Sam The Eagle

Apr 29, 2019
    I just got my KS7 back from Kel Tec and after they replaced almost everything in / on it, it is a smooth shooter for sure! I also have an RDB and absolutely dig it to high heaven.

I have shot every type of shell by now, including mini-shells, and I have to say that it is made for the minis. The 2 3/4" (or 3") 00 / Slug will rattle your jaw for sure--there is nothing to mitigate the perceived recoil in this light-weight design. I don't mind it, but if you have an existing injury? I wouldn't necessarily recommend it with full-power 12g loads. Even KSG kicks pretty good with them (I sold mine in favor of KS7), but far less than KS7.

That said, mini-shells are wickedly perfect for home defense and the use I got this little devil for; it has a little bit less penetration, but plenty of oomph to take out an intruder or 13 with 12+1 mini-buck shots that are nothing to shrug off as "cute". The 5/8oz payloads come out in excess of 1,200fps...

KS7 cycles the mini-shells extremely well as-is; I had ZERO malfunctions after 200 Challenger mini-shells (#7, 00, and Slug) last weekend. My KSG back in the day had a bit of an issue with minis, but that is due to the larger space where the shells are released from the tube = they tend to go sideways there, get stuck on things, etc. KS7's dimensions does not readily allow it to happen, but I have not tried to shoot laying on my side or sideways, so there could be room for malfunction there. However, I am not expecting having to shoot from those positions with this tool... I will test it later though.

To recap: Mossy 500 and Rem 870 have considerably less perceived recoil with 2 3/4" and 3" shells, but if you are willing to pay a bit more for your practice shells (I use Challenger #7 that were $89 shipped from Brownells for 300 shells) and keep Aquila 00 or Slugs in tube for that bump in the night, you're golden with this tool.

That said, I DID have to send it to Kel Tec for several issues out of the box. However, it was free of charge and took total of week and a half for (now) wonderfully functioning and innovative shotgun that fits my bill like a fist in the eye.

MarkB1 and CoronetRTguy like this.
  17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I want to use mini shells. I seem that as being a vital defense round. Great for a home defensive shotgun.

I also like that Kel-Tec stands behind their products. Interesting that you sold your KSG to get one of the KS-7's. That says a lot. I agree, the weight and slim design is one of the reasons I am going with it.

Sam The Eagle likes this.
  18. Sam The Eagle

Apr 29, 2019
    Aye, as it was a simple choice (for me) == lighter, thus quicker, smaller, still plenty of shells, more than enough kinetic energy per mini-shell at the distances of a normal house, etc. Therefore exactly like you said: "Great home defense shotgun."

Yes, I like that goofy-*** handle, too! Simply because it works as designed with very minimal practice.

Now, if I'd need 2 3/4" or 3" shells to get the task done then I'd go with KSG any time. KS7 is definitely not made for those loads... You can use them, sure, but follow-up shots take more practice and it is not going to be something you do more than ~25 shots worth for fun.

I shoot from the peck and not from the shoulder, too, and that combat shooting method makes Mossy and Rem feel like AKM (or AK-47 to those who know little about the weapon in question), because 100% of the stock is against my body vs. 50-75% and divvies the recoil impulse evenly across the whole end of the stock.

CoronetRTguy likes this.
  19. RonBow

RonBow Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Have you shot a KSG? I tried a friend's KSG and I found it to be ridiculous. Selector in the wrong location = won't cycle. Didn't rack it crazy hard = won't cycle. We all had way too many misfires (gun went click on an empty chamber) for me to trust it for home defense.

I never had any question whether my Mossberg 500 had chambered the shell. And it went bang every time I wanted it to.

I have not tried the KS7, but the YouTubers says it's smooth to rack. That might be the clincher for me. I do like my RDB in spite of its quirks. And I love my boomstick broomstick Sub2000. So why not give KelTec more of my money and add a KS7?

20. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Yes the sight is very low, uncomfortable for me, I mounted a red dot on the carry handle because I like the way the handle looks and didn’t wanna lose it, now the height is perfect, you raise the gun to your shoulder and the dot is right there. And you can still see and use the factory sight as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020