why isnt the p3at barrel straight?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by joje, Apr 22, 2008.

1. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    does anyone know the reason the p3at barrel isnt straight but have that funny "waist" near the muzzle ?

2. xp100

xp100 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Might be just to save weight. Ruger did the same thing with the LCD.

3. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    At first I thought it was clearance whe the barrel tilts during the slide cycle. After looking at my P40 that's not it. I'd bet it's weight reduction. I was noticing that the rifleing in the barrel is pretty shallow. I'd bet the barrel is designed with very little extra metal. Shallow grooves = smaller OD.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I always assumed it was for slide clearance also due to the relatively short recoil action. Are you saying the P-40 barrel does not have a "waist" or the waist is less pronounced on the P-40 barrel?

5. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      That "bell mouth" is what the slide pushes on to put the barrel back down straight after it tilts to load a cartridge. It only NEEDS to be on top, but it's easier to manufacture this way.

Packer.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Ah, this may seem obvious to you but, if you don't mind, I'd like to paraphrase to make sure I understand.

You're saying a "dent" in the top of the barrel near the muzzle would be sufficient for recoil operation but the manufacturing process is easier with a "dent" that goes all the way around?

7. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    The 40 has the waist but it's not a clearance thing. It would clear with a straight barrel.

8. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      It's really a cam that sticks up, but essentially yes. Most barrels are turned in lathes. It's just easier to turn that cam completely around the barrel while it's in the chuck. If the barrel did not tilt--it wouldn't be necessary.

Packer.

9. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks for the answers, i think i undestand now :)