Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
At first I thought it was clearance whe the barrel tilts during the slide cycle. After looking at my P40 that's not it. I'd bet it's weight reduction. I was noticing that the rifleing in the barrel is pretty shallow. I'd bet the barrel is designed with very little extra metal. Shallow grooves = smaller OD.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I always assumed it was for slide clearance also due to the relatively short recoil action. Are you saying the P-40 barrel does not have a "waist" or the waist is less pronounced on the P-40 barrel?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  That "bell mouth" is what the slide pushes on to put the barrel back down straight after it tilts to load a cartridge. It only NEEDS to be on top, but it's easier to manufacture this way.

Packer.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Ah, this may seem obvious to you but, if you don't mind, I'd like to paraphrase to make sure I understand.

You're saying a "dent" in the top of the barrel near the muzzle would be sufficient for recoil operation but the manufacturing process is easier with a "dent" that goes all the way around?

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
doubloon said:
I always assumed it was for slide clearance also due to the relatively short recoil action. Are you saying the P-40 barrel does not have a "waist" or the waist is less pronounced on the P-40 barrel?
The 40 has the waist but it's not a clearance thing. It would clear with a straight barrel.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
doubloon said:
You're saying a "dent" in the top of the barrel near the muzzle would be sufficient for recoil operation but the manufacturing process is easier with a "dent" that goes all the way around?
  It's really a cam that sticks up, but essentially yes. Most barrels are turned in lathes. It's just easier to turn that cam completely around the barrel while it's in the chuck. If the barrel did not tilt--it wouldn't be necessary.

Packer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.