Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The demand for small, pocket size ccw pistols right now, exceeds the capabiltiy of Kel Tec to make enough. So it is fairly scarce on dealers shelves. They sell as fast as dealers can get them.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Have you checked gunbroker? They don't make any hard chrome guns anymore so used would be the only real option to get a matching set. They replaced the HC with a nickel boron, I guess it's a good finish and more environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
You could buy a blued P3at and get it refinished with HC. There was a thread with the information of the company that used to do the factory work. It would take more work and money but you could end up with a new HC gun.

Edit, I found it. I've never used them personally.

I had my P11 slide chromed by http://www.apwcogan.com/ years ago and it is much nicer than the chrome on my 2 P32's

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
It really does look similar to the HC in the pictures. I guess I should have known because I have a nickel boron bolt carrier group. Mine is definitely shinier than the HC.

I would think around $300 would be fair for a new P3at with the nickel finish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went looking for a pocket 380. Plenty of LCP, LCP Custom, Remington RM380, Bodyguard, P238, CW380, Plenty of all of them, but not one Kel Tec to be found, in any cal or make. I had actually forgotten all about the P3AT until I saw one on a local forum for sell. Gen 2, flush 6 round, pinky extension 6 round, extended 9 round with pocket clip installed and box and case. I got it for $300 (I overpaid). It had slide wear but internals looked good. Brought it home and broke out the dremel and polished the sides of the slide. It now has a black stainless look to it. I left the top of the slide black to cut down glare.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
How much different is the nickel boron than the hard chrome? Is the nickel just shinier. One of the dealers I had talked to had mentioned that finish and from the picture he had sent me it looks fairly similar. View attachment 24492

Depending on how the boron is used, in general it's an extremely ultra hard steel, harder than high carbon steels used on automotive unibody frames. Boron mix with nickel makes an extremely hard corrosion resistant alloy. Where as chrome or chromium is an electronically applied protective finish over much softer materials such as low carbon steels and plastics usually applied over a copper and nickel base. It's a low cost advantage over nickel/boron but very difficult to apply evenly on surfaces and edges. Nickel/Boron is throughout the material, no surface pealing and very hard to damage. Chrome may peal in areas and is very easy to scratch and damage. You get what you pay for!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that's disappointing to hear. Hopefully they do better on the next batch. I'm really hoping they start shipping a few to my area because I can't find them anywhere.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I think Ruger and other companys has hurt them . What has KelTec done to improve the Gen 2 Better trigger ,sights , anything . Other than change the slide finish. . Times are changing must change or loose customers. They could make some changes and not need to jack the price 50 or more. .
Seems their more interested in long guns than . What made the company small pistols

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree that they do seem more interested in long guns at the moment but as a company it seems they can't keep up with the demand of any of their guns. Any shop that I go to if they carry Kel tec may only have 1 of their guns if they are lucky and all the others seem to be out of stock to the distributors as well. If they could keep up with the production I think they wouldn't lose as many customers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.