Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I side with Jocko. :))Although if he doesn't want me there, I'll step off.:)) Here's my reasoning:

SAAMI max pressure for the .380 auto is 21,500psi which is more than the .38 S&W Special +P of 20,000psi. Also, you don't lose anything to the cylinder\barrel gap like a revolver. Cops defended themselves and the citizenry for decades using the non+P ammo using swaged lead, round-nose bullets in snub-nosed barrels shorter than the 2.75" P3-AT. Because they were the most concealable at the time, not that they were the best man-stoppers. Believe me, if this little K-T were chambered in a bigger, better, more powerful cartridge than the .380 auto, I would use it. But it's not. So I make the best of the situation by using the best factory ammo.

I couldn't think of a better marriage than Barnes to CorBon. Barnes solid copper bullets have taken big game hunting by storm. Almost everyone is singing its praises...some think they are too expensive and others are destined to live in the past when cup-and-core bullets were king. However, go on any hunting forum and witness the thousands of converts who now know there is a better way to humanely kill a game animal. Even those who still choose to use muzzleloaders.

And it's because Barnes X bullets don't mushroom. Their petals unfold into a spinning buzzsaw that doesn't lose weight to keep them from penetrating. In fact, some big game hunters (me included) warn potential X bullet users that a complete penetration is likely possible, so be sure of what is on the other side of your intended trophy. You just might kill 2 animals with one bullet!

CorBon didn't build their reputation on making wimpy cowboy ammo. Quite the contrary; they are the hottest factory loaded ammo available. Right at SAAMI max pressures, and thus, velocity.

My last reason for not using FMJ's is purely subjective. Much has been made about the armor-like qualities of BG's winter clothing. I think that is just so much BS. Maybe 50 years ago when everyone wore suitcoats and overcoats, or heavy Woolrich type clothing that didn't provide protection from the cold and wind like modern synthetics all puffed up with fiberfill and Gore-tex. Even today's leather garments are skived thinner than those of yesteryear.

John Browning's creation, the .380ACP turns 100 years old next year. If you want to protect your life with FMJ ammo from that era, be my guest. The best of luck to you. My choice is 21st century technology; CorBon DPX.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
++++1 to the DPX, or any good .380 JHP.

Heck around here, the druggies & crackheads most likely to attack me or break in my house don't even wear heavy winter coats.

If they had a good heavy coat, they would have long since sold or pawned it to get drug money.

rcmodel

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
+1!  I love seeing people's REASONING behind their choices.

Let's hope we can keep this positive and not have a bunch of "I am better than you are" or "my ammo is better than yours..."  

I recently wrote the following to a member privately but this gives me a good chance to give my reasoning for interleving:

First, I am fully sold on the DPX.  HOWEVER, I believe that multiple levels of clothing could degradate the DPX performance that I am counting on the FMJ as a "backup." I practice shooting 3,2,2 all the time every time and will shoot that way if in trouble; I know that BG is going to get at least one of each type - assuming I don't miss :eek:

As an EMT who has seen lots of type of wounds I am scared to death that my FMJ will be through and through and leave not enough damage because I know first hand that a through and through can actually leave very little damage and why I won't carry only FMJ.

So in my mind there are "situations" where either DPX or FMJ run the risk of not working correct and since I cannot control those situations or switch magazines to fit the threat level, I interleve.  

-Scott

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
adamsesq said:
... since I cannot control those situations or switch magazines to fit the threat level, I interleve.  

-Scott
Excellent point and flawless reasoning. It's too late to cover the bases AFTER the fact.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Thing I cannot understand though?

If DPX, (or any other good Hollow-Point) fails to expand, it's just another FMJ, giving FMJ performance. Actually, I think better performance, because the sharp open HP tip will cut a clean blood loss hole, albeit a small one, rather then a RN-FMJ puncture wound.

If one HP hits an arm or an I-Pod, and fails to penetrate fully, the next one will.

In any case, JHP is long-since proven to be a more effective round in almost all calibers above .25 ACP.
So, why not use it full-time?

Even if every other one fails to do something, (penetrate or expand) which I very much doubt, the other 50% are still far more effective rounds then FMJ can ever be.

rcmodel

·
Registered
115 Posts
I say +1 to the DPX also. Especially living in Fl where people seldom have on anything more than a light shirt.
Perhaps in the cold weather states it would make sense to use fmj in the winter or cold months and hp during the summer. I don't know, after all the reading I have been doing on this subject lately, I think I am better off with DPX in south Fl.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
rcmodel said:
Thing I cannot understand though?

If DPX, (or any other good Hollow-Point) fails to expand, it's just another FMJ...
rcmodel
True - my fear, however, is that the DPX DOES its job and expands but that is not enough because...(insert all the reasons people think FMJ is the only way to go here.)  IF the expansion prevents sufficient penetration then having the next round be FMJ should help with that and BG will end up with one heck of a big shallow wound and one wound that is penetrated deeper.  

Again, this is just my opinion and my reasoning, I am not trying to persuade or convert anyone here.

-Scott

G

·
one funz,  great comments, make alot of sense to. RC, u hit that nail on the head also. same for u vette. The one thing is certain the dpx works damn near every time in the 380. Not to many hp's can brag on that and the pedal expansion has to be tramatic. It certainly has been well proven and accepted in big game cartridges. Indeed BG do carry IPODs, for they just stole it downt the street.

Jocko, who only wishes he could have said all those things a few days ago ;D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
+1 rcm. If the DPX expands it gives adequate penetration and maximum damage. If it doesn't expand it gives just maximum penetration like a FMJ. I see no reason to use anything else.

We need to keep our focus on training to enable us to place our shots properly and to use good tactics. Then, as rcm says, just keep shooting with a good load like DPX and you have done what you can do.

G

·
if u shoot um all in the same hole, u can push a hollow point 48 inches all total and that my friends is strictly a SWAG. ;D

·
Registered
89 Posts
u know wut i wud like to see...

fire some different rounds through a rack of ribs(uncooked of coarse) then wet pack, keying in on direct and glanceing hits to the rib bones...

i'm STILL not sold on ether FMJ or JHP as the "end all... kill all..."

uuuummmmmm...riiiiiibsss..

guess wut i'm having for dinner... ;D

here piggy piggy piggy... ::)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I sure would like to try the DPX!! I just don't understand why there are no dealers in my area that don't sell it. I have not talked with one dealer that has even had it in stock yet >:(.

Ron

·
Registered
89 Posts
onefunzr2 said:
http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10021

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests and a lively discussion on the .380acp and surviving attacks.
hahaha... ;)

i don't know how "lively"...the thread wus started Nov 05 & last post May 06...

the funny thing is i had googled it up too! ::)

G

·
ront said:
I sure would like to try the DPX!! I just don't understand why there are no dealers in my area that don't sell it. I have not talked with one dealer that has even had it in stock yet >:(.

Ron
I have yet to see it at any dealer around me. All I see is the regular corbon hp round.  I have also asked and a few even say "huh"??, so i just walk away.  I get mine form corbon direct, costs more with shipping etc and they don't discount like maybe a gun show dealer would, but I dodn't want to wait either.  I have had the dpx for well over 6 months. They ain't cheap but neither is life..

G

·
rjhauser said:
all i know, and it ain't much today, is that corbn DPX is still claimed to be developed around the P3AT.

That speaks volumes for me.....
rj, u underrate ur self you know alot more than most of us. U certainly know who ur friends are. Now take ur meds and get some sleep and we will shoot um up tomrrow again ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.