Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few post lately about modifying front pocket holsters to hold a spare mag. Even a few makers making them this way.
Just curious, but how well do you get to this extra mag with your gun in your hand? When I carry an extra, it is always in my weak side pocket, and I dont keep it in anything.
Not trying to knock anything, just while I looking at some of the other options out there, and wondering if I am missing something.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I think (hope) the chances of me ever using a cc gun are slim. The odds of me needing a reload are even longer. Rarely do I ever carry an spare mag. But some folks may encounter more risk than I do. Never the less, I could only see a reload in some sort of extracted gun fight where you have probably already taken cover. In that case, getting at your holster may be easier than when you are standing toe to toe with the BG.

When I occassionally do carry a spare mag, it's in the off-side pocket in a mag holder that, come to think of it, probably darn near takes two hands to remove the mag anyway. The holster with a built in mag holder does simplify things somewhat. At least you always have one and you know exactly where it is. :-/

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I carry a spare magazine in a nylon double chamber holder, weak side, on my belt. The other spot is for a small knife.
It just increases the warm fuzzy feeling of having the kt in my right pocket. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
The spare mag questions for a P-3AT - keeps coming up. Not trying to make waves - but I do like to jet ski!

I have wondered this myself a few times. This is what I think NOW - but my mind is OPEN - so try and change it!

No right answer - everyone needs to carry what they feel is right for them . **Skip back and read this again - before you slam the following opinions***

Some like to wear a belt and suspenders - other like to go "commando" - I am some place in between!

The way I look at it - ** go back and read the part about everyone needs to carry what they feel is right again**.

If I EVER FELT THE NEED to carry an extra mag for the P-3AT then I would move up to my PM9 (or some other BIGGER GUN) as my main gun and just carry the P-3AT as a BUG. How can anyone think - Gee - I may get in a situation where I MUST RELOAD my P-3AT - so I need a spare magazine - but still make the decision to GO TO THIS PLACE anyway or not want to at least take A BIGGER GUN!

The only reason to carry the P-3AT is because you don't excect any trouble - problem is - and this is the flaw in my thinking - there is no place that has 0% chance of trouble anymore. It makes me VERY sad to say this - but it is true. A few weeks ago who would have thought that 6-13 year old girls at an Amish school would be victims of a shooting?
:'(

So If I am going someplace that has (in my mind) no risk I carry the P-3AT. Like to meet friends for lunch at the place where I have been meeting them without any problems for the last 15 years - or to get gas for my car at NOON on Thursday - 3 blocks from my house - in an area that has had NO violent crime for the last 5 years. But when I am traveling and have no choice but to stop for a bite to eat and some gas at 2:00 AM at some truck stop in the middle of NOWHERE - you can be 100% * 100% sure that my only protection will NOT be a P-3AT - even if I could have 100 spare mages.

If you think that there is a small chance you may need a gun then only a complete fool would say - give me a P-3AT and a spare mag. ** please go back one more time and read the part about ** everyone needs to carry what they feel is right for them**

If you think there may be trouble then DON"T GO THERE!!

If you have no choice - then BRING A BIGGER GUN!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
The NY reload is always an option. 8)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Where to carry, where not to go at all? What to carry depending on perceived risk?
Never have had need to fire at anyone in North America - ever. And I'm old.
You might guess, based on that experience, that I should not carry a concealed weapon, let alone a spare mag ----
That would be a bad guess. :-*

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
The Boy Scout Motto. 8)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
z71bill:  I agree with your position with one exception.  In warm weather I sometimes find it easier to conceal a second AT or P32 than to carry my PM9 and a BUG.  The PM9 is small but still a lot bigger and heavier than a KT.

The NY reload is the only one I usually carry.  I can draw a second gun, ready to go, using just one hand and never taking my eyes off my opponent much quicker and more certainly than trying to reload a little KT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um - just to clarify a little........
I am not questioning the need to carry a second mag, a second gun, or a cannon in the first place;D.
I am wondering how in the world people draw that spare mag out of the pocket on the same side as the hand with a gun already in it???? Just wondering if it an be done. Seems backerds to me ???.
Thats all........ ;)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Most likely, you would have to change hands with the gun which is one more reason some people practice shooting off-handed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I carry my P3AT it is my BUG. When I don't carry the P3AT I carry a backup magazine for my Glock. Sometimes I carry both.

Given my usage I really don't need a spare for the Kel-Tec. However, if I had more than one magazine for the thing I might carry a spare in the same holster an yway. haha

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is a topic that comes up from time to time. There are proponents and opponents to this style of carry. Essentially, carrying an extra mag in this manner simply provides for another carry option. The rule of thumb is you would not carry anything but the gun/holster in one pocket and would not carry anything but the mag/holder in another pocket (for safety's sake). So you've got two of four pockets devoted to carry. The majority, though not all, of people often carry a number of things in their pockets. Then when you start taking that pocket space away, it becomes a matter of compromise of what and how you carry.

Carrying an extra mag in/on the same holster allows you to carry the gun/extra mag in the same pocket. You can find the extra mag easy enough when, and if, needed.

So utilizing one of these holsters is simply another way to carry what you desire to carry in your pocket(s). Everyone has to decide what works best for themselves.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
K-Man said:
Everyone has to decide what works best for themselves.
That's the key answer regarding this issue. As long as it is safe, it doesn't matter. There is no right or wrong answser on this one.

Any reload is most likely going to take place behind cover as has been previously stated. That is a given and not a viable debatable point.

My solution is like most others here I carry the .380 as a bug. I usually have an extra mag for each, but not always. If I carry the .380 as the only weapon (rare) I have an extra mag in an offside or jacket pocket. If it's a bug, I don't bother with a spare magazine for the bug. Again, what makes you most comfortable is the best solution....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would like to say that holsters with or without the spare mag "on board" are more popular but the sales are about equal. We've been making both of the models in Kydex since 1998 and many people buy one and come back for the other one later.

I think it's like pants in a way. Even your favorite pair is not suited for every occasion. As a back up gun you may not feel the need for the extra mag of a smaller caliber than the primary weapon and vice versa if it is your primary gun.

As far as functionality, the smaller (without spare mag) sits lower and overall prints smaller so the size of your pants pocket might also dictate which holster you want to use each day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
NY reload?

I had not thought about it before - but since the P-3AT is so small maybe  having a second one  in your other pocket would be better than a spare mag.  

I checked the PSI in my car tires this morning - even checked the spare - so what does that have to do with anything?

When I saw the skinny compact temporary spare tire  I thought - its just like the P-3AT.  Small / light / hidden - with you if you need it - but not something I would want to drive very far on. Then I noticed a can of FIX A FLAT  -  why do I have both a spare tire  and a can of this stuff? I guess its like having a spare magazine!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  I ALWAYS carry a spare mag. I like to be prepared. I like the redundency. And I so easily can, with the mag in the holster.

It's simple. If I have the holster, I have the spare. A wise person once said: "I'm not going to die for lack of shooting back."

Fourteen rounds of the barely adequate .380 is NEVER enough!

You can't predict what kind of situation you will be in. Or how many adversaries you will have to face.  It is only prudent to have as much ammo as possible. Another wise man once said: "You can only have too much ammo when you are either drowning or on fire."

You also have no idea how fast you can empty a gun in the excitement!

I actually often do things backwards from most. I sometimes carry the P3AT as primary quick-draw in my front pocket, and the PF-11 in Extreme Stealth.

The PF-11 is so much thinner than the P-11, that it conceals very easily:

I carry my 9mm 13 round PF-11 sometimes as a Have-Along super-stealth backup in my rear pocket.

There is also a spare 12 round mag in there:

With any warning at all, I can have the 9mm in my hand ready to draw.

With no warning, I can have the P3AT in my hand quickly.

I could as easily carry the PF-11 in my front pocket, Wardrobe and situation cooperating:

Note the spare mag--There are 25 rounds of DPX in that holster. Another benefit of that holster-mounted-spare is that it breaks up the print factor.

I carry a spare mag with the pistol. That way I always have it. Like Tex says, I only plan to reload from cover. With the gun out of the holster, it is easily accessable.

Hopefully in that situation, If my a ssailant pursues me, he will be over-confident, believing my gun to be empty. SURPRISE!

Anybody who thinks they can stand toe to toe, and then, while fully exposed, (and probably wounded) live through a reload, is a fool waiting to be killed.

So what matters most to me, is not what pocket the spare mag is in, but that I have it WITH me.

Packer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Z71bill states: If you think that there is a small chance you may need a gun then only a complete fool would say - give me a P-3AT and a spare mag.

Then I guess there are a lot of fools here in this forum. The people who carry this weapon carry exactly for the reason you stated above. They think there is a small chance or they wouldn't carry at all. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one Z71bill.

I think you greatly under estimate the power of this gun. Trust me, if you take a hit with the P3AT with Corbon dpx on any other decent ammo for that matter, you're probably going down. Of course it "all depends" where you take the hit, but the same holds true with any gun. If you take a hit with a 9mm, it all depends, if you take a hit with 45, it all depends and so on and so forth. And on the other hand, if you get hit with a 22 stinger in the right spot, you're going down. The P3AT is designed exactly what it was meant for and it's not the toy you make it out to be. It makes a great concealed carry weapon, and when used properly and shot by someone who knows what they're doing, "you're gonna go down"!

Microtechdude ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Microtechdude said:
Of course it "all depends" where you take the hit, but the same holds true with any gun. If you take a hit with a 9mm, it all depends, if you take a hit with 45, it all depends and so on and so forth.
But if you get hit in the arm with a .44 Mag it'll blow your leg off. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.