Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why not? I think they would sell like hotcakes to P32 and P3AT owners and to others as well! Just curious. I cant seem to get my search to work properly, so, forgive me if this has been talked about before. Thanks, Skychief!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Re: Why hasn't KelTec chambered 22 lr in these pis

I don't think it would 22LR would work in a locked breech gun. They are generally all blow-backs so there would be no simple caliber conversion from P3 to 22LR. It would have to be a whole new design/gun. That said, I'd love to have one.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts

I can think of two possible solutions:
First, an aluminum slide and an aluminum barrel with a steel barrel liner. Maybe this setup would be light enough to cycle a locked breech .22.
Second, a .22 barrel without the locking lug at the top which would attach to the aluminum frame without recoiling by using the assembly pin. The slide would of course recoil but the barrel would remain fixed in the traditional .22 blow back operational method.
A P.22 would be cool IMHO!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

Two Pistol Packer was experimenting with making a .22 conversion for the P-11 back before his shop fell through the floor. I imagine that project is on hold now, though.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

My P3-22 conversion kit, which I cannot yet make, will use the second method. Steel barrel, stock blowback slide. No modiification to basic P3AT

Packer, who is waiting for new machinery to arrive and set up.

·
Registered
49 Posts

The Walther P22 shoots 22LR just fine with a standard DA/SA blowback operation.

The P-3AT is as small a gun as I can comfortably hold, so if they made a smaller 22LR pistol many people just couldn't use it, and if it was the same size as the P-3AT, why go with a smaller round for a gun made to CCW?

I'd say buy the Walther P22 if you want a plinking pistol, I really like mine.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

Thatguy331 said:
....if it was the same size as the P-3AT, why go with a smaller round for a gun made to CCW?
 Well, I'm pretty sure wives, GFs & new shooters would like it.  

With the same grip and trigger, most of P3-22 shooting would corelate to P3AT practice. The idea is to practice with nearly the same gun for pennies a shot instead of what .380 ammo costs. I figure that a .22 conversion would quickly pay for itself. After that, it would be like shooting for free.

Also, you could shoot it PLENTY without causing much wear and tear.

Anybody ELSE want one?

Packer.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Yeah, toss my name in the hat. I would buy one of these suckers for sure. They would be fun!

·
Registered
459 Posts

Me too.
My care person has a Walthers P22.
To big to carry. My P3AT kicks too much.
She tried the P32. Still didn't like it.
she likes the P22 and the size of my P3AT.
Go for it.
Charlie.

G

·

Two Pistol Packer said:
  My P3-22 conversion kit, which I cannot yet make, will use the second method. Steel barrel, stock blowback slide. No modiification to basic P3AT

Walt-

Put my name on the list for the P3-22....and check your PM's about another matter!

I have sold 4 Glocks...all full size frames except the G27.  I am now waiting for an Advantage Arms 22 Conversion Kit that will fit two of the Glocks I have sold.

Everyday... the price of ammo goes up.  To be able to shoot 22lr from the same platform as my carry and target guns....SUPER advantage!  SUPER savings.

Mitch......Eagerly awaiting his P3AT metal triggers....and now the P3-22 kit!

·
Registered
459 Posts

Two Pistol Packer said:

Keep us informed.
Charlie

·
Registered
459 Posts

Hi Packer.
I've got one of the first 2'd gen P3AT. S# HUExx
I'll be waiting for the 22lr conversion.
Charlie.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

Sorry! Not at this time. I'm not ruling OUT a P-32 conversion--Just haven't researched that yet. As of now I have no design for a P32 .22 conversion.

Anyone who has both P32 P3At: Please mike the two barrels at the largest (bellmouth) end and report their widths?

Packer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.