Why does my p3at lock open after last shot?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Az320, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Az320

Az320 New Member

Feb 4, 2011
    First i would like to say hello to everyone. I just purchased my first kel tec.  After reading about some problems this gun can have i was a little worried (purchased mine used) Well, after a trip to the range, and about 100 rounds later, nOt a single malfunction! I think i really like this gun. I still cant get over how small it is!

Only thing happened that was kind of odd.  After the last shot on the 4th or 5th magazine, thr slide locked open.  I couldnt see exactly what was holding it open, but i'd have to guess the magazine..? Has anyone else ever had this issue?

And since im on the topic, could the top of a magazine be dremeled down a little so the slide will catch on the mag, and lock the slide open? Been done before?

Edit: i should add this only happened once while at the range.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

I have though about doing what you stated to a mag follower and see how it would work

3. tx-rvr

tx-rvr Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Abilene Texas
    When you pull the mag out the slide would close. You still have to rack the slide to load the next round. :-/ :-/ :-/

Steve

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG.

Not sure why your P3 is doing that.   You might want to try another magazine to see if that's what caused the malfunction.

I think if you modified the mad to hold the slide back the impact of the slide would damage the mag after some time.   It also dosen't provide any advantage, as was already stated, the slide would go forward when you remove the empty mag.   The empty mag might be very difficult to remove with the pressure from the recoil spring on it.

CJ

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

That's the first I've heard of that happening to the P3AT. Like already suggested, try another magazine to determine if the problem is mag or slide specific.

Bill K.

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Everyone else has overlooked the obvious--you have one of the new super-secret next generation models. It must have been shipped by mistake. ;D

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yep, Kel-Tec ripped off the design of Ruger's slide catch and modified just enough to hide the fact.  ;D

8. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Same thing has happened to me while firing my chrome P3AT. I think the slide is hanging up on magazine follower on it's way forward. This malfunction does not concern me because it is easy to clear when inserting a fresh magazine and I have already fired 6=7 rounds.

9. dougc541

dougc541 New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    cause you're lucky. the trick is to make it happen all the time

10. liltoy

liltoy New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Man I agree... I would love to make this happen. I hate looking like an idiot on the range clicking off your last GHOST round.

11. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Rarely happens, I too have to count to avoid ghost round shooting!

12. cbrant_2000

cbrant_2000 New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ghost round is good at the range, it helps detect if you have a jerk, buck or flinch, ;)