Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just logged on and have ads with women in underwear, and barely there underwear showing up off to the right of my screen. What's up with that? Don't we have standards anymore?

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Apparently the standards are rated in $.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I search for car parts, hardware, camping stuff, not women in scanty clothes. Right now the ad is for boat outfitters, but I don't own a boat and never have. I'm not buying that line.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Ads are usually based on your internet travels.
Only if you don't employ common sense and a few simple protections.

Disable third party cookies. Disable cross site scripting. Delete cookies at the end of each browsing session (except for allowed sites). Use a script blocker extension with only your trusted sites being able to run scripts. Run AdBlockPlus extension. Run Ghostery extension. Use incognito mode on your web browser if appropriate for the website you are visiting. Most browsers have a "Do Not Track" request setting (it's just a request to websites though, they don't have to honor the request). Run your web browser in a sandbox. Use a proxy server. Do not sign in to things (Google, Facebook, etc.) If you must in order to run a specific service, log out as soon as possible - in no case do you want to leave yourself logged in perpetually, no matter how convenient. Run your web browser off of a Linux LiveCD and boot that LiveCD every time you surf the web.

There are definitely things you can do to thwart ads. I generally do not see ads at all when I'm browsing, they have been filtered out. Sometimes I will have to drop my shields to a degree to make a website work. I only drop the minimum necessary to make the website work. Ads sometimes appear then, but they are just generic ads, not targeted ads (they don't have anything to target).

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I search for car parts, hardware, camping stuff, not women in scanty clothes.
Sometimes you don't always have a choice. I remember one time when I was searching for custom kites that I ran into a website with a few of those "scantily clad" pictures. Turns out the guy was evidently into flying kites and loose women. Who would have guessed...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I envy you OldyNotMoldy.
I have free weights (which I never even touched) and vitamins (same).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I knew how to do any of the protective things haertig mentioned I would make my living protecting people from the internet. Yes scantily clad women on my computer screen is a bad thing, I am married. Right now it is trying to sell me Nutisystem stuff, which means my computer thinks I am fat. Oh the woes of modern day technology.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Man, I was so excited to go look at^h^h^h^h^h help you out with your advertising issue. That is some pretty ugly swimwear on a pretty ugly body IMHO. I must be getting old. I prefer something that doesn't look like a T-Rex wearing a loincloth.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Dang, as admin, I am shielded from seeing those ads. Having seen that one, I'm ok with that. She was downright scary looking.

·
Registered
527 Posts
darn, didn't click on the ad soon enough and that swimsuit is sold out. they didn't bother to thank KTOG members for all the sales

1 - 20 of 46 Posts