Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Why Bother with Finger Extension?

1K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  risabee 
#1 ·
I was wondering why not just go with the +1 extension instead of just the finger one? Total height from extension tip to slide seems to be similar I would think, and you get an extra round with the +1. Only possible advantage of the finger type is the slightly larger "printing" area. Draw clearance should be close since you still have to clear the finger extension.

#4 ·
I agree and like only the +1s after trying others. My loaded mags have the +1s, my extra mags do not. The hooks just jab into me in my pocket or in the smartcarry. Admittedly I never tried filing them down in any way.

I do disagree with 2pp a bit though in that there were often times when the hooks would interfere with my carrying and even a few times when the +1 does. Rare with the +1 but it still exists. Even in 2pp's picture above you couldn't have a +1 on the extra mag.

-Scott

#6 ·
no right answer, no wrong answer. go with what works for you.

try them all, use what you like.

i had a hard time spending the $$ for the +1 at about 1/2 the cost of the magazine.

but then again, I do not carry a spare mag for the p3at. If I need that much firepower, I am using the wrong gun.

It is not an OK Corral type of pistol. Get me out of a jam, that is all.

No more no less.

#7 ·
Rustynuts said:
I was wondering why not just go with the +1 extension instead of just the finger one?
Sorry to read of your failing vision. When you get stronger glasses, feast your eyes on the finger extensions below. Even if they didn’t look ten times better, the additional control of that little hook would be sufficient to justify them over the 1+.

click photo to enlarge

Wilson – who’s completely open minded about finger extensions ::)

#8 ·
Lol, good point Wilson!

Personally I do not have any extensions on my Kel-Tecs. I had one on my PF-9, but when it got sent back to me from service it did not have the extension (I did call and they agreed to send me another one, but they apparently got confused and sent me a new magazine...I still have no extension, but I don't think I should bother their poor customer service dept about it now! ;D ).

For the P3-AT, I can fire it fine without the extension. The only thing that would lead me to consider one is the prospect of weapon retention...its much easier to retain control with the extension if someone was trying to grapple for it or something. Honestly, as is, it is a pretty nice setup. Wilson is right, an extension would make it bad@ss and stylish to behold, but really, the extra grip size from either the finger extension or the +1 extension outweigh the potential benefits for me. At least right now!

Oh, and +1 to RJ on the purpose of the P3-AT. If you have to reload a mousegun, you may be wasting valuable run-your-@ss-off time. Still, can't fault the "be prepared" ethic.

#10 ·
Wilson said:
Sorry to read of your failing vision. When you get stronger glasses, feast your eyes on the finger extensions below. Even if they didn’t look ten times better, the additional control of that little hook would be sufficient to justify them over the 1+.

click photo to enlarge

Wilson – who’s completely open minded about finger extensions   ::)
What type of extension is that grey one? (where to purchase)

#14 ·
I used to have the hook extensions, but removed them in favor of the +1 extension. I have not noticed a difference in my accuracy or pistol reliability with either, but I appreciate the extra round the +1 provides.

I've also heard/read of people having problems with the pinkie hook extensions and prematurely wearing out the magazine release button where it engages the steel mag body. Seems people put a lot of pressure on the hook and it really "slams" the magazine down under recoil causing undue stress on the polymer mag catch. I've since replaced my catches with metal ones and all's been well with the +1's. :)

#15 ·
gpr said:
different strokes for different fokes....i like the pinky grip...it's a little better to grip..and a little better get out of the pocket unsnagged...i keep the +1 on the backup...there is function for both....gpr
I, personally, cannot see how the +1 extension would cause a snag hazard when drawing from a pocket...

My average sized hands fully cover and extend well below the +1 extension when gripped in a pocket or firing position. My bottom three fingers almost touch my palm and the back of my hand completely covers the grip/magazine. Midgets might not agree...and people with "snaggy hands" :D

#18 ·
Finch said:
Hi all,

anybody have a picture of the +1 extension?

I haven't taken the time to review all the posts yet, but will.  
Welcome Finch! You ought to at least look through the thread that you are commenting on as this thread has a picture. But its not great so here is another:

And because someone will ask, this is a www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com pocket pal in small!

-Scott

#21 ·
I like it better without any extension. I found that the extension made the withdrawal from my front jeans pocket slow due to snagging. I like the feel of no extension with the Handall Jr installed. To each their own. I would vote for the +1 extension if I were to use one, one more round only makes sense.

Dave

#23 ·
#24 ·
Slip-On Grips for the Kel-Tec P-3AT

Hogue, Pachmayr, Glaser, and Butler Creek (Uncle Mike's) make slip-on grips that fit the P-3AT. They are all a bit different. Some may need trimming. AGRIP makes a pre-cut stick-on grip.

Hogue HandAll, Jr
These have finger grooves, are thinner at the front and back straps, have slight palm swells, and are textured on the sides.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=6938&s=

Pachmayr, Model 4
These have finger grooves, are the same thickness all around, and are textured all over.
http://www.pachmayr.com/pachmayr/slipons.htm

Glaser (a forum member)
These have no finger grooves, are the same thickness all around, and are smooth all over.
http://www.aglaser.com/grips/

Butler Creek, Small (no longer manufactured but may still be available)
These have no finger grooves, the same thickness all around and a bit thinner than Glaser and Pachmayr, and are textured on the sides.
http://www.ultout.com/butlercreek-pistolgrips.htm

AGRIP
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/AgripPage.htm

Or you can make your own:
One good thing about doing it this way is that the material is thin and you can experiment by trying a different number of layers. Some bike tubes have ribbed areas, so you can make a ribbed or smooth grip.
I got a couple of tubes free - went to a local bike shop and asked for any bad ones they were throwing away.
http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a7/a7.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.